Author Topic: e-brevet - waiting for location update  (Read 442 times)

e-brevet - waiting for location update
« on: 18 March, 2024, 02:58:15 pm »
I'm firing up my e-brevet app, ready to use this weekend for the first time since last year.  I have an issue with the app not initially detecting my location - although I have location permissions enabled.  I get 0.00000 for Lat and for Long, (although it does give me a time for when it was updated).  And if I click on a control, even in the test brevet, I get 'waiting for location update'

I have deleted the app and downloaded the new version, and checked several times that location permissions are enabled, and started google maps to see if it would help but it didn't. 

I recall I had the same issue when I first set it up last year and Lighting Phil diagnosed and fixed it in an instant, but I can't recall what he did!  And I can't find this issue via searching.  Phil, or anyone else, can you remind me what the tweak I need to make is?

Re: e-brevet - waiting for location update
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2024, 04:20:30 pm »
Are you Android?   

You need both location services turned on as well as permission to use location whilst using for E-Brevet.  You may need Bluetooth turned on, on some phones.

Plus have you tried outside?

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2024, 04:49:09 pm »
Thanks Phil!

It is Android.   I've not changed anything but did go for a walk and it has now found my location, so I think 'outside' was the fix!

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2024, 05:16:19 pm »
Definitely outside, or the phone can't "see" the satellites to determine a location. The newer version of the app tells you how long since the last location update, as you may know - this helps.

I did have some success, when on a ride and finding that nothing would persuade the app that I really was near the control, in swapping into Google Maps. That seemed to force the phone to get a location update. But it could have been just luck!