Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Discussion Thread  (Read 14887 times)

Martin

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:20:43 pm »
in theory my next one should be the most pleasant by far; a DIY 200 from my holiday home in France to Cognac and back (ish); bikely claims 700m ascent  :)

It will be nice to actually see some other people (rather than on my last 2) on the Anfractuous

« Reply #26 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:17:37 am »
my RRTY is off.

Congratulations Chris and enjoy your freedom!

(I don't HAVE to ride until the end of August...
and am too tired to have got round to posting a list on here!)

« Reply #27 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »
3 more to go.

Clwydian 220 this weekend for August.

Not so many to choose from in September though, and even fewer in October, so another possible DIY/Perm perhaps.

« Reply #28 on: 29 July, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
Jethro,

Gavin Greenhow's 'Across to the Cotswold 200' from Droitwich on 11 Oct is a good one.  I really enjoyed it last year.

« Reply #29 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »
I've stuffed up too.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  Work and home keep getting in the way !!
Plus, I STILL haven't had a reply from Andy U re: DIY cards !!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #30 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:09:59 pm »
I've stuffed up too.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  Work and home keep getting in the way !!

Mr G, if you're stuck for DIY cards, I have a couple spare I could send you. 
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:07:57 pm »

Thanks mate but I need to build a system with my local rep so I can be trusted when I submit my cards etc.
Life has got in the way of 'extra' cycling of late, deadlines, hatchet jobs and secret jobs have all conspired against me taking time off, but work and my profile have profited.  All is good aside from the DIY failure.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #33 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:13:13 pm »

Thanks mate but I need to build a system with my local rep so I can be trusted when I submit my cards etc.
Life has got in the way of 'extra' cycling of late, deadlines, hatchet jobs and secret jobs have all conspired against me taking time off, but work and my profile have profited.  All is good aside from the DIY failure.

Aye, understood Mr GruB.
All the best for you continued progress up the charts BTW  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #34 on: 30 July, 2008, 12:34:36 am »

Entering the ride is one thing, as long as the DIY organiser has a signed entry form in advance you're all ok.

Requiring an actual Brevet Card before submitting it is one of the reasons why I go for all receipt/cashpoint controls. No silly stamps mean no Brevet Card needed until you need to submit the ride. A DNF also doesn't cost you a card.

There are plenty of people on this forum that hold a stock of DIY cards. You're probably never more than 50 miles from a spare...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:45:17 am »
Still on track - thanks to a tow across the Fens by Fidgetbuzz at the end of July, and the Mildenhall 200 last weekend. Off to the Orthopedics today for MRI and session with a consultant about the knee. Hopefully I'll get the all-clear and RRTY can proceed as planned.

« Reply #36 on: 31 August, 2008, 10:15:17 am »
Just DNSed this months DIY 200. Just didn't fancy going out in the rain today.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #37 on: 31 August, 2008, 01:36:21 pm »
Just DNSed this months DIY 200. Just didn't fancy going out in the rain today.

That's a shame. You should have come to Norfolk - cracking day here  :thumbsup:.

You probably didn't want to know that though...

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 31 August, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »
Knowing I'd be away on hols in France or worjking all of August I entered a DIY from the holiday home we were staying at using a basic triangle; fiddling about with Google maps until I found 2 suitable control points. It started with a lovely 80k up the Charente valley to Cognac (free tour with tasting is not quite what you want on a 200 so I didn't) which I extended a bit to take in the nicer villages and roads.

The middle 40k  was very windswept and East Anglian (also rolling) to a completely deserted town (they mostly all are around there) called Aulnay which fortunately did have one person working; at the Office du Tourisme which also boasted a stamp  :)

The last 80k was a war of attrition into a hot and bothered headwind. Hardest 200 for some time. Fortunatley freshly cooked spaghetti with moules (and BEER) was waiting for me when I arrived back.

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2008, 11:40:44 pm »
This is where the challenge starts to get serious; I hit my first RRTY winter season 2 years ago; although the Feb ride was actually the worst one weatherwise.

My 3rd year depends on completing the Jan and Feb ones on the very last day of each month which leaves no room for DIY  /perm fallbacks  :-\

« Reply #40 on: 21 October, 2023, 06:32:10 pm »
Hi,

Assuming a 200, 300, 400 and a 600 ride are completed in one season as well as another eight 200+ rides in different months, can you claim for a RRTY award and an SR award or would you have to do twelve 200+ rides in addition to the SR series of rides to get the RRTY award?

Basically I'd like to go for both over the next year, my loose plan being:

October 200
November 200
December 200
January 200
February 200
March 200 or 300
April 300
May 400
June 200 or 600 (I'm away on holiday for two weeks in the middle of June)
July 200 or 600
August 200+
September 200+

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 21 October, 2023, 06:39:51 pm »
No problems with using the same rides for SR and RRtY in AUK. Audax Oz can get a bit weird that way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #42 on: 21 October, 2023, 06:57:49 pm »
No problems with using the same rides for SR and RRtY in AUK. Audax Oz can get a bit weird that way.

Cool, thanks. It's AUK  ;D

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #43 on: 22 October, 2023, 08:24:19 pm »
Question: has anyone ever gotten a brevet that started in month A and finished in month B getting registered in month B for RRtY purposes with AUK?

I did a Dutch 400km BRM that started on September 30th 5pm and I finished October 1st 7am (I'm not fast, my bike is). I've asked our recorder to register it on October but haven't heard back yet. Which is ok in itself but I'm short on time in October and doing an extra ride "to be safe" is difficult (more difficult nearer the end of the month).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 22 October, 2023, 08:35:24 pm »
Yes, some years ago, but you should have completed at least 200km of that event within the month you are claiming for.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #45 on: 31 October, 2023, 07:52:58 am »
FYI: Dan registeres foreign brevets on the startdate, regardless whether they finish in the next month or not.

I scrambled and did two DIY200 this weekend, still on schedule for #8/9/10  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #46 on: 31 October, 2023, 10:06:20 am »
Previous RRtY organisers would make a manual adjustment for brevets straddling months. Perhaps the new and improved system makes that too difficult now.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #47 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:54:26 pm »
The RRtY validation system is the same as it has always been, processed in a wetware computer with only a little digital number crunching assistance.
On a multi-day event straddling two calendar months as long as it can be demonstrated that 200k+ was ridden in the second month then the validation process can be adjusted for that, on request. In reality, that means there must be a timed control 200k or more from the finish with PoP dated on the final day.
Of course, the default of using the start date as the recorded ridden date could be manipulated to the extent that 200k has not been ridden on the last day of the month where that was the first day of the event. Maybe that’s a bit of a stretch to think that could be taken advantage of but it is a theoretical possibility without fastidious checking.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #48 on: 01 November, 2023, 09:47:19 pm »
What's the situation with rides that start shortly before midnight on the last day of the month?
Although in this case it's theoretical as I'd ECE it if I was riding, I would ride 200k in neither month.
https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10902-friday_night_ride_to_the_bay