Author Topic: 'bent mirror  (Read 3841 times)

'bent mirror
« on: 26 July, 2010, 09:08:45 am »
I need a mirror for my HP Spirit. There's a Cateye one for £5, but I'm not sure that would suit 'bent riding. What one do you use?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: 'bent mirror
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:23:12 am »
B&M Cyclestar with the long arm.  On Speedy it's attached to a bottle cage mount point., and sticks out far enough to be useful.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
I can't recommend either of the ones I've tried - they suffer too much with vibration.  :(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »
I'm using a Mirrycle (mountain version).  Goes in the end of the handlebars - miss out the upper arm section. 

Works ok, but does seem to need tightening up every few months as it works looser with vibration.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:09:33 pm »
I've got 2 of these
   Zefal Spy Mirror Only £11.69
on my bike

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:19:00 pm »
I use the Mirrycle on my Trice with a mounting bracket made by Inspired Cycle Engineering. I have no troubles with it regarding vibration etc.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »
I bought the Cateye BM 300 G mirror for my recumbemt. £4.74 from Wiggle.

It fits in the end of the handlebar and is adjustable whilst on the move.

Probably the best add-on I've bought for ages.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:48:36 am »
I use the Mirrycle on my Trice with a mounting bracket made by Inspired Cycle Engineering. I have no troubles with it regarding vibration etc.

OTOH, I've had three or four Mirrycles forsake my Trice for the undergrowth when the plaggy bit of the mirror stalk has committed suicide.  It's currently got Blackburn mirrors.

For two wheels, though, I use the Take-A-Look glasses-mounted mirror.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tim

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:52:17 am »
On the street machine the best answer I found was the blackburn ones that are designed to velcro around a straight bar and then putting it on the section of the bars (USS) before they curve upwards. The only significant problem this produces is that they stick out and you can't therefore lean the bike up (and they shatter should you accidentally drop the bike on that side).

I think I'm going to look for a glasses mounted version to try next.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:11:16 am »
I think I'm going to look for a glasses mounted version to try next.

ICE used to sell them, but I looked on their Webby SCIENCE yesterday and couldn't find them chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:34:41 am »
I never needed a mirror on the SMGT as it was upright enough to chuck a look over my shoulder.  This is not the case on the Baron.

I note with interest that the eBayer in the states who sold me my Radbot 1000 Rear Light O'Doom is selling the dorky spectacle-mounted mirrors that I've been trying to avoid getting:

Bike Peddler Take A Look Mirror, Compact, Multi Mount on eBay (end time  18-Aug-10 14:07:34 BST)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim

« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2010, 11:45:35 am »
I never needed a mirror on the SMGT as it was upright enough to chuck a look over my shoulder.
I don't need one on the SMGT, and currently don't have one one there. The greatest use for a mirror in the past is to ensure that Kathy is not trying to hide in my blindspot, tight in behind me, before I brake (my brakes are sufficient to stop an SMGT and the bike that has just piled into the back of me in quite a short distance). Though she is now slightly more wary of riding in my blind spot these days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2010, 03:08:46 pm »
A couple of months back, when I'd got the hang of riding the SMGT and was just venturing out on it in traffic, I thought I needed a mirror.  I'd randomly lost about 30dB of hearing in both ears after a nasty asthma attack, and felt very vulnerable not having any idea what was going on behind me without looking.  My hearing returned to normal a couple of weeks later, by which time I'd become proficient at looking over my shoulder, so it bothered me less.

Until the July WARTY, when I heard the third of a group of cars coming up to overtake, ran out of room to crawl forwards in the passing place I was in, so hit the brakes and put a foot down.  Except the car turned out to be boab's tandem right in my blind spot, and we proceeded to get nicely tangled.

After a couple of other incidents, I've decided that crashing into tandems at low speed is the SMGT's major hazard (this is less silly than it sounds - a loaded SMGT has very similar speed characteristics to a tandem where hills are involved, so you tend to end up riding with them), and that a mirror would be genuinely useful for situations where I'm likely to have other cyclists (which you can't reliably detect by hearing alone) around me.

My Eustachian tubes are crap, and mild but disorientingly intermittent hearing loss is an occupational hazard, so it'll be useful next time that happens, too.

I have a B&M Cycle Star on order.  It seems decently made, and doesn't require a bar-end to mount to.