Author Topic: RMail tracking error, or..?  (Read 1849 times)

RMail tracking error, or..?
« on: 15 February, 2019, 09:57:26 am »
Over a week ago I ordered a video unit from ebay, listed as "UK stock", supposed to take ~5days to come.  Royal Mail Tracked 48 lists the item as having been registered, but not received yet; 'sender preparing'.  Seller (didn't spot they're in China) says it was sent, and will get back when they hear from RM!  TBH I wouldn't have thought it likely that if the item had been received by RM, it would not be on their system. 

Thoughts?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: RMail tracking error, or..?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:05:44 am »
Quite common practice for ebay sellers to claim they are sending from the UK when in fact it's coming from China and being re-labeled once in the UK.  Happened to me more than once. 

The give-away is the 2-4 week wait, and you can sometimes peel off the top label to find the original China Post one beneath.

I would suspect your item isn't in the UK yet.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:07:46 am »
Over a week ago I ordered a video unit from ebay, listed as "UK stock", supposed to take ~5days to come.  Royal Mail Tracked 48 lists the item as having been registered, but not received yet; 'sender preparing'.  Seller (didn't spot they're in China) says it was sent, and will get back when they hear from RM!  TBH I wouldn't have thought it likely that if the item had been received by RM, it would not be on their system. 

Thoughts?

Someone has bought the RM postage, so it's in their system, but not yet dropped off at a PO.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:12:58 am »
Thanks both.  So possibly it's a case of being 'UK stock' once it arrives in the UK...   ::-)  If it is coming from China, worth raising a dispute?  Item was advertised as taking 6 days max, and seller says it was posted...

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:21:33 am »
If it's not arrived by the final date on the listing, demand a refund - open a Paypal dispute if the system will let you.

Expect them to give you a bit of a runaround, so if you need the item order another one from someone else.

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:40:16 am »
As grams says, if it doesn't arrive by the promised date, you can use the "contact seller" button, and select the option "my item hasn't arrived". This automatically raises a ticket with eBay. and you'll get a mail giving a time limit of IIRC 8 working days, after which you can contact eBay again for a refund.  You may get something from the seller before that of course.

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:10:13 am »
Overdue by two days now, from estimated delivery.  If it's been posted direct to me from China, I can see the seller will be very reluctant to refund - not that it's my fault; apart from taking 'UK stock' in good faith.

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:13:07 am »
Raise the ticket now. Then after the 8 day period eBay will refund you automatically if the dispute hasn't been resolved. The seller might anyway - you may not be the only customer waiting and you item can be diverted.

« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:32:47 am »
Last time this happened to me I raised a dispute with fleabay.  I copied them pictures of the Royal Mail label and the China Mail label underneath (the item had been listed as coming from the UK).

They said I had to contact the seller before any dispute could be raised.  I asked the seller for the return address in the UK as the delivery was well outside the due date.  This of course completely stymied them as there was no UK address.

In the end they offered me a 50% refund, which I accepted  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:00:58 pm »
The original message at time of purchase said 'contact us if not received after 5 days' (which I did), but also 'please do NOT open a return request with ebay'...  What happens if I raise 'a where's my item on ebay' but item 'still wanted', instead of refund?

« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:29:52 pm »
Should have been clearer, sorry, that's what I did when a delivery was delayed and I still wanted it - you'll get the standard "contact us in 8 days" response from eBay and can take it from there.

« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2019, 11:47:09 am »
Thanks, have done this.