Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 215849 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #225 on: 13 November, 2012, 03:01:54 pm »
She's evolved pedal bearings and spindles in her feet.  The photographer has just photoshopped them out.  So that it doesn't look odd.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #226 on: 13 November, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »
Is this suitable for the group?  :D

Departing Dave Yates' with my handiwork:

Nice work, Porkers.

Did someone nick your numberplate?

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Nick H.

« Reply #227 on: 13 November, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »
It fell off on the way. I rode around without one all week. I don't think Dave's partner, a magistrate, was impressed. At least, I think that's  why I got the silent treatment. But no polis seemed to care, even when I overtook them.  Obviously  I was not viewed as a credible  threat to the UK's air defences. I carried on riding without one for 10 days back in London before I was finally pulled over. I feigned shock at the 'theft' of the plate and the ossifers apologised for stopping me!

« Reply #228 on: 13 November, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
Is this suitable for the group?  :D

Departing Dave Yates' with my handiwork:

550 or 750?
It's hard to tell without being able to see whether there's a disc on the back, or not.
I held the 'bars of a 550 for 13 years.
I'd hate to think of the mileage.
They just go on .... and on......and on..... etc.
Nice that you have a new toy from Mr. Yates  :thumbsup:

Nick H.

« Reply #229 on: 14 November, 2012, 11:21:48 am »
Here's the side view. Not that you need, because technically I think the GT750's shade of red was a touch lighter than the 550's.  ;) But it's hard to tell under the dirt! What I really wanted was a gold 750 but it was a bit big and spenny for despatching. The 550 was so narrow with the mirrors folded in that it would go through gaps which were too small for cyclists. They didn't want to risk being squished in a 2ft wide corridor between buses. I used to imagine that if the worst happened I would just stand on the seat.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #230 on: 14 November, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »
I used to imagine that if the worst happened I would just stand on the seat.
You, mr Porkins, are a loon of the highest order!
A mate had a GT550 ooh, decades ago, and it was a darker red than that - more of a maroon really. But it had also lost all its stripes and stickers and wotnot so quite possibly had resprayed at some time. Shaft drive is good to have, in fact I find I'm tempted to get one now - but only a very little bit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nick H.

« Reply #231 on: 14 November, 2012, 05:02:03 pm »
Get one before they go extinct! You can put it on a classic bike limited mileage policy - it'll be dirt cheap to run. Park it anywhere - nobody will nick it. To the kids who do that sort of thing it's the uncoolest machine ever - fork gaiters, twin shocks, they won't be seen dead on it. (To be fair, whenever I saw a reflection of me sitting on it, I thought "what a silly little bike." They are so l-o-w.)  But there are tons of used parts around, the motor and gearbox and shaft go on and on and on.  You can neglect it dreadfully and it will just keep on passing its MoT, perhaps with the occasional minor weld to the exhaust. And it cuts through London traffic like nothing else.  It makes all the commuters on flash sports bikes and big BMs look pretty stoopid.

P.S. I plead guilty to being a loon, m'lud. What do you expect from a courier-turned-racer? I had to give it all up because I couldn't afford to race and I couldn't keep my licence on the road.  There are SO MANY cameras. I got fed up with getting a photo of me doing illegal turns in the post. TPTB just don't understand the value of motorbikes any more. We keep the traffic flowing! It's poetry!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #232 on: 14 November, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »
That's true, certainly. I read some research from, I think, the USA, which showed that quite a small proportion of rush hour car traffic being replaced with an equivalent number of filtering motorbikes freed up the traffic flow completely. I guess replacing motorbikes with bicycles would work just as well.

Oh, and low seat height is good. IMO. Up to, or should that be down to, a point of discomfort.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nick H.

« Reply #233 on: 14 November, 2012, 05:33:50 pm »
Enuf motorbikes, I'll try to get back on topic. But I don't have a history of carrying big stuff on my pushbike. These are the best I can do:

- full camping kit. I obsess about tininess of kit - there's a 2 man tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mat, petrol stove, pans, food, coffee pot, laptop, street clothes etc etc in there, but note the absence of rear panniers. There's no barbag either, but there's a 10 litre water sack with shower attachment on the bars. I've just filled it because I'm about to camp on the beach.

- my trophy for winning a pancake eating contest. Fat Americans are no match for a cyclist.  :smug:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #234 on: 14 November, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
Objection!  Touring pr0n (even the kinky kind with no rear panniers) is over there --> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61057.0   :D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #235 on: 14 November, 2012, 07:21:53 pm »
Overruled for the gilded spatula, which is magnificent.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #236 on: 14 November, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »
Overruled for the gilded spatula, which is magnificent.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DpsMGpMIqNk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DpsMGpMIqNk&rel=1</a>
Actually, it is rocket science.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #237 on: 14 November, 2012, 08:40:01 pm »
three years ago:

i couldn't feel anything different carrying this guitar due to the low centre of gravity and aero shape. could be a perfect rack top box if made from waterproof material with a couple of horizontal shelves inside!

« Reply #238 on: 15 November, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »
Not very impressive in absolute terms, but I sold more things on eBay than would fit in my Metropolis, so one had to go on the bars. It fit, but only just.

John Henry

« Reply #240 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:13:41 am »
A new seat for our lav.

This is unimpressive, all the more so given that I had to rearrange it to stop heel-strike, and then it fell off. I need to improve my bungee-fu.  :facepalm:

Going car-free in the new year. Need to get better at carrying stuff on the bike.

« Reply #241 on: 01 December, 2012, 11:41:54 am »
A new seat for our lav.

This is unimpressive, all the more so given that I had to rearrange it to stop heel-strike, and then it fell off. I need to improve my bungee-fu.  :facepalm:

Is it just me that read that as you having heel-strike issues with your lav (as opposed to a lav seat being carried on your bike).  I was really wondering exactly what you were doing with it ...

:facepalm:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #242 on: 01 December, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »
Sainsbury's state:

"We have shrunk our cardboard tube, but kept the same number of sheets, giving you the same great quality.  This saves valuable storage space and means less lorries are needed to deliver the product..."

I'm considering asking them to add:

"...and with a little string and cardboard you can get 45 of the new bogrolls on the back of your bike with ease."

I might have to rerun it without the Tesco carriers before they'll consider using the image in an any sort of upcoming eco-warrior campaign.  Perhaps a few bags-for-life, or some kind of knitted hemp arrangements  ;)

John Henry

« Reply #243 on: 01 December, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »
A new seat for our lav.

Is it just me that read that as you having heel-strike issues with your lav (as opposed to a lav seat being carried on your bike).  I was really wondering exactly what you were doing with it ...

;D I haven't even tried to fit it to the actual toilet yet. Getting it home was traumatic enough. I'll let you know if heel strike is a problem once it's fitted...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #244 on: 01 December, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
A new seat for our lav.

;D I haven't even tried to fit it to the actual toilet yet. Getting it home was traumatic enough. I'll let you know if heel strike is a problem once it's fitted...

I doubt heelstrike will be a problem. Getting the seat to stay up might be.
DAHIKT...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #245 on: 01 December, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

DAHIKT...

It's surprising how long you can go blissfully unaware that your toilet seat doesn't stay up.  It's one of those things that people assume you already know about so don't tell you...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #246 on: 01 December, 2012, 02:07:18 pm »

DAHIKT...

It's surprising how long you can go blissfully unaware that your toilet seat doesn't stay up.  It's one of those things that people assume you already know about so don't tell you...

In the event, we swapped seats between upstairs and downstairs loos.
David seldom uses downstairs privy, whereas I'm downstairs all day.
The ancient Bemis Cavalier stays up fine...

Piemaster

« Reply #247 on: 03 December, 2012, 12:47:12 am »
Went to collect daughter from a sleepover at a friends.

« Reply #248 on: 03 December, 2012, 06:04:05 am »
That's a bike not a daughter!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Piemaster

« Reply #249 on: 03 December, 2012, 10:20:37 am »
That's a bike not a daughter!
:)
I've moved bikes around like that a couple of times. Much easier than trying to get it in the back of the car (usually have to take front wheel off) and the bike rack takes awhile to get on and off so cycling is a fair bit quicker