Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144119 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1050 on: 01 January, 2021, 06:46:57 pm »
9 miles and pulled the other hamstring - reading up on conditioning exercises now...

Still a proper start to the year.

« Reply #1051 on: 01 January, 2021, 07:42:31 pm »
Ouch !

I have a run planned for tomorrow before settling back into my Monday / Wednesday / Friday routine for three months to put those hard miles in as they say.   I'd quite like to get my weekly average up to 30kms.  Assuming tomorrow goes to plan I will only be a couple of kms off that target this week and I am slowly building the long run in a sensible and progressive way.  Let's see how sustainable that is.

Sometime next week I plan to sit down and draw up a bit of a progressive plan for 2021 with a couple of objectives in mind.  I am giving myself lots of time and also not setting the bar too high.  I want to build on this year and not let all my effort go to waste.   I couldn't run 200 metres on January 1st 2019 but I can now run 12,500 metres non-stop now.  Quite a solid foundation upon which to progress methinks.  🙂

« Reply #1052 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:35:04 pm »
  I couldn't run 200 metres on January 1st 2019 but I can now run 12,500 metres non-stop now.  Quite a solid foundation upon which to progress methinks.  🙂

This is the amazing thing for so many of us.  Personally, the upheaval of Covid has brought some benefits to weigh alongside the absolute misery and heartache it has bought with it.  Without the enforced stop brought by Covid I would still be 2 stone heavier and would not have started running.  To blithely think of setting out for a 10km + run would have been a pipe dream.  Also without the running I think the mental aspects of the second half of this year would have been much harder.

Thank you to all who have supported each of us at different times and i will be out later today!

« Reply #1053 on: 03 January, 2021, 02:51:49 pm »
  I couldn't run 200 metres on January 1st 2019 but I can now run 12,500 metres non-stop now.  Quite a solid foundation upon which to progress methinks.  🙂

This is the amazing thing for so many of us.  Personally, the upheaval of Covid has brought some benefits to weigh alongside the absolute misery and heartache it has bought with it.  Without the enforced stop brought by Covid I would still be 2 stone heavier and would not have started running.  To blithely think of setting out for a 10km + run would have been a pipe dream.  Also without the running I think the mental aspects of the second half of this year would have been much harder.

Thank you to all who have supported each of us at different times and i will be out later today!

I was having this discussion earlier when I got in from run number one of this year. My partner asked how far I went and it was just a 5k. Prior to March/April I didn't run at all apart from a dog trot (that would leave my shins aching all day and the next) if running late for my train to work. Now I can run 5k without really thinking about it and 10k without much more trouble.

Bloody fantastic is what it is. And most definitely aided by the support on here.  :thumbsup:

Targets for this year are some off road running once it's a bit drier and a road half marathon.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1054 on: 03 January, 2021, 03:32:23 pm »
These last comments are brilliant to hear!!

« Reply #1055 on: 03 January, 2021, 05:11:28 pm »
I hope that it is not complacency on my part but recently I have noticed some changes in my behaviour when out running.   

I used to always smile when I got to 5k regardless of how far I had left to go simply because that 5k target had been so difficult to achieve.  Recently however I realised that I have stopped the smile at 5k but rather I smile when I have 5k left to run.  It's a small thing I guess but I take it as indicating that my mindset has shifted from the original target. 

I also no longer worry about my ability to be able to complete my run, whatever the distance planned is.  In fact, I have taken to adding the odd upto 1/2 a km just to finish in a convenient (for me) place. 

Positive changes I hope.

« Reply #1056 on: 03 January, 2021, 05:17:52 pm »
PB, I get something similar.  Now when I only have 5k left to go, I find myself saying ‘only 5k, you can easily do that!’. Sounds really strange.

« Reply #1057 on: 03 January, 2021, 05:23:28 pm »
It's a good feeling Chris.  A very good feeling.  😊

« Reply #1058 on: 04 January, 2021, 07:55:58 am »
Bit of a meh weekend.
13km in kayak at slow pace on Sat.
13km jog on Sun.

The jog was hard work. Had to really nag myself to keep going and not walk.

Fitness seems to be going backwards . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1059 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:58:45 am »
Out this morning for 6km before work.  HRM needing new battery so just ran.  Pace dropped below 7min/km to 6:50 which is a new record for me and I got a PB on a segment despite the road being slippery. 

I am now attending a very strange virtual court.

« Reply #1060 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:26:24 pm »
I am guilty of giving myself excuses not to run for the last few days so I gave myself a proverbial bollocking and went for a run.

8km later and I feel great.  I knew that I would but the persuasive power of my brane in persuading me not to run is significant. 

Glad to be out and getting back into the groove.

Sad to see so many people clearly not adhering to the latest covid guidelines though.  bozo has lost the people.

« Reply #1061 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:32:35 pm »
One more positive though:

My one run so far in January 2021 means that my total distance for January 2021 already exceeds my total distance for January 2020.   👍

« Reply #1062 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:34:20 pm »
One more positive though:

My one run so far in January 2021 means that my total distance for January 2021 already exceeds my total distance for January 2020.   👍
:thumbsup:👍

« Reply #1063 on: 06 January, 2021, 08:02:20 pm »
After 4 days of stress and little exertion I got myself out for 5km over the nearby hill at lunchtime. Very nice is was too.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1064 on: 06 January, 2021, 08:06:21 pm »
Sheet ice on the tracks so a very cautious 5k.
That'll do.

« Reply #1065 on: 06 January, 2021, 08:17:39 pm »
One of the cars was in the garage for its service and MOT. Took the opportunity to run home after dropping it off there this morning.
Only 3.7 km (plus warm-up and -down), but nice to be use a different route for a change. The lanes round here are very nice, but I have been seeing a lot of the same over the past few months.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1066 on: 06 January, 2021, 08:39:25 pm »
I managed to get out for just over 10km which is my longest run of 2021!  Legs feel a bit stiff and i am wondering if it was the overload of mince pies, christmas cake, chocolate and alcohol over Christmas.  We will see as we are now 3 days back into a healthy diet.

« Reply #1067 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:42:19 pm »
I vaguely intended to run today but I woke up with rather sore legs - I did weightlift for the first time in months yesterday.

I decided to do half an hour on the exercise bike to see if that loosened them off, which it did, but then had to wait in for a delivery and by the time that came it had got grey and cold outside. Decided "nah bollocks to it".

And, I'm ok with that, I did some exercise and there's always tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Keep on keeping on everybody.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1068 on: 08 January, 2021, 10:22:36 am »
I have my running kit on, I am hydrating and will shortly do my stretches and then leave the house on my warm up walk.  The plan is 12k.  I am sure that it is cold and slippery out there but I also know that once I am out and running I will warm up and cheer up.

Report back later.  🙂

« Reply #1069 on: 08 January, 2021, 01:38:48 pm »
That felt hard, very very hard.  The stats aren't quite so conclusive as the "feel" though.

One annoyance with the ToJ:  for an unknown reason my average hr was around 5bpm higher today than last week when I did the route.  This resulted in the warning for the exceeding of the threshold hr to keep going off after about a third of the way round every time I was going uphill.  It became so annoying that I was sorely tempted to take the watch off and dump it.

I will be certain to turn that annoying alarm off.  It would be reasonable I think for Garmin to facilitate such a facility mid-session using the top left button but I guess they don't think about these things.

On balance I think that I loathe Garmin and the ToJ and primarily use it for the distance and time information as well as the map of the route that I have just completed.  There are though many more things that annoy me about it.  For instance, why can't I save the route that I have just run and is in the bloody thing to use as a future guided route?  I wouldn't mind so much if Garmin's own route mapping tool was good but it's utter shite.  Why Garmin, why?

« Reply #1070 on: 08 January, 2021, 05:23:23 pm »
HRM drift may well be the cold.

Has any body used this http://crplots.com based on Tanda?

« Reply #1071 on: 09 January, 2021, 02:18:12 pm »
What a lovely day to be out.  25km done. Not particularly fast as the roads were icy in places but the fields were glorious.  The mud was firm but not rock solid except for one field which was totally laggy and left me for a km or so running with half a field stuck on each shoe.

Now a walk to the butcher and then some netflix

« Reply #1072 on: 10 January, 2021, 02:31:37 pm »
What a lovely day to be out.  25km done.
Well done!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1073 on: 10 January, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
Very icy 10k.

Track around the loch was mostly sheet ice, so I was running through the rough terrain off the side of the path.
Climb up the hilly bit was clear of ice, under the cover of the old Scots Pines.
Tricksy navigation off the summit due to snow cover, but I trusted the gps watch and sure enough, once I got back into the woods the path emerged under my feet.

Remained the right way up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4599190502

« Reply #1074 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:13:54 pm »
Lovely grey skies and temperatures just above freezing with very little wind made for a very pleasant 8.5km just now.

Time for lunch.  😋