Author Topic: How did it pan out for you?  (Read 22407 times)

Re: How did it pan out for you?
« Reply #150 on: 05 September, 2015, 08:49:30 pm »
I think I posted it somewhere else, but anyway, here's my account.
http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/more/fixed-it-paris-brest-paris-2015

« Reply #151 on: 07 September, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »
Robert and Abby (?) from Hackney

Aggi, I think.

« Reply #152 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
My long write-up with photo's:

PBP 2015, balancing on the limit.

It has gronw into a tradition for me, every four years I travel to St Quentin-en-Yvellines, the Paris suburb where Paris-Brest-Paris starts nowadays. This year I attended m 6th PBP.

There was a break in the tradition however, after 5 starts in a sports complex the start now is in the brandnew velodrome of Paris. A prime example of a single use building, built for track cycling. As usual the day before the start was dedicated to the bike check. I joined up with my teammate Lars the evening before. Together we stayed at a F1 hotel in the Parisian suburg of Plaisir. In the early afternoon we cycled from our hotel to the velodrome, well on time for our bike check slot. While we near the velodrome we hear that there are long lines. But not for us, we're well ahead of time.

There was a reason for being early. As usual the bike check was used by many groups, clubs and delegations to have a photoshoot. Being a member of a few means that I have to attend a few. First on my list was the Societé Adrian Hands, named after a US randonneur who passed away a few years ago. His website always has been a handy tool for lot's of information about cycling. The Societé Adrian Hands is only open for those PBP riders who were slower as 88h55, as I was in 2003. This is the full value riders club.

After our fotosession we join the waiting riders. The hear say was untrue, the bikecheck is fast and effective. It does help though that our bikes are designed for this purpose. No worries for the volunteers. Lights are working and are fixed solidly to our bikes. No movement in the luggage either. Some adapted racers are completely different. Most bike check volunteers immediately see if a bike can be passed with just a glance or that it's going to be a real check because a lot of problems are to be expected. After the check we get our PBP bottles.
Most riders then have to hunt for a spot at one of the barriers to park their bikes. No problems for us, we both have a kickstand on the bike. Out of habit we lock our bikes. That was a good habit, later we learn that the bike from a Danish rider was stolen from the bikepark. The other procedures are inside the velodrome. Before we reach the official tables we pass a lot of stands of various randonneurorganisations. Danial is one of the people manning the LEL stand. I use to be here a lot, sometimes overdoing it. This time I don't have to volunteer.
Nearby is the stand of the Chines randonneurs. We both know that one of their main organisers is an esperantist but we never met him. Now it's the time. Hans Ngo is as enthousiastic in real life as he is online. Now there's only one esperantist we haven't met yet, a rider from Seattle.

The rest of the procedure is done effectively. There are some stands after the procedures but I'm missing the old riders village which was a major meeting point last time. Still I meet a lot of old friends.

We both hand over a bag to Jan. Jan does the support for one of the oldest Dutch riders but also provides a bagdrop for a few other riders. That's all I need. Twice access to my dropbag for a fresh set of clothes is enough. Our French clubmate Cyrille sends us his info by SMS so Jan can complete the forms. There's a good mobile reception in the velodrome.
After the procedures are finished we head outside. Lars has to attend the German fotoshoot. I spend my time admirign beautiful bikes and meeting old friends. And of course some bike maintainance. The headset of my bike loosened yesterday. The young mechanic doesn't know what to do with my headset, a mid 80-ies Shimano headset. He calls his father. For his father it's a piece of cake, he had one of these when he was young he tells his son. A small group of riders from Voronezh is also waiting for asisstance. One of them recognises me from VOL. I assist with translations before we had to the main area before the velodrome.

Finally Cyrille is also ready and we can make our teamphoto.
Uiteindelijk is Cyrille ook klaar en kunnen we onze teamfoto maken.

Cyrille heads home to finalise his preparations. We return to our hotel. By now the hotel is teaming with PBP riders, the nearby pizzeria is crammed. We join the pizzeriacrowd for dinner. Lars orders a double portion, he wants to add a bit to his reserves.

In the early morning a large band of randonneurs ravage the Formula 1 hotel breakfast. Usually families travelling to their holiday destinations and workers who have to work away from home stay here. Randonneurs clearly have another level of appetite. The owner is very busy arranging enough bread. But despite his work those who arrive late have no bread. Among them is Lars. Luckily he still has his own stocks so he has no lack of breakfast.
The riders who start on mondaymorning head for the velodrome and their bikecheck. We return to our room, we still have to pack our stuff. I took some extra handy stuff for Lars to use. Yesterday I already provided him wit a set of back up lights, today I give him extra reflection stuff and some little handy things. During the past weeks I prepared a special GPS track together with Cyrille so we know a lot of interesting info which can be useful on the road. Information like public toilet and the expected locations of inofficial feeding places.
Check out is at noon. Half an hour earlier we carry our bikes and panniers downstairs. The hotelowner kindly keeps the panniers we don't need in his storage room. A few other riders also use his services. Frank's trackpump is borrowed by a lot of riders to top off thier tyres. Finally Frank locks it away in his car as we all head out to the velodrome.

It's only 8km to the start. When we cross the large park Lars immediately spots food and stocks up his vitamins. He has already learned the PBP rule, whenever you spot something edible, eat it.
At the velodrome the Dutch delegation assembles for the Dutch fotoshoot. It takes a while before everyone is there but finally we can make the official group photo.

We linger about a bit. There's still some time to kill before we have to eat again. Our plan is to eat around 15h, and admire the fast riders who start at 16h. So there's still some time to meet up with old friends. Some of them with a impressive palmares. Richard Leon starts his 11th PBP. Mikko finished the Transcontinental Race and now starts PBP with the vedettes. He hasn't been home between the Transcontinental and PBP. The traces of the Transcontinental race are still visible on his shirt.

We head out to the centre of St. Quentin-en-Yvellines and check where we'd like to eat. When we pass the Campanile hotel we spot one of the US randonneuses who replaces her tyre. The old one is gone. Luckily Alex Singer had a spare 650B tyre for her, a not so usual tyre to have on stock.
The futuristic towncentre is completely invaded by PBP riders. All restaurants are full of them, the few locals in regular clothes feel completely out of place. We find a nice Italian restaurant with good pasta.
Half an hour before the vedette start we take our bikes and find a nice spot about a kilometer out from the start. We're right on time, it doesn't take long for them to arrive. The first riders nearly crash into a car, the cardriver is totally unaware of the approaching pack and keeps lingering at a traffic light despite the frantic efforts of the marshalls to get her out of the way. Luckily they manage to do that before any accidents happen.

The B group dashes of the line at a wild pace, a lot faster as the A group. Richard predicted this already. He had seen that the most known fast riders are in the B group and not in the A group. It's quite clear why, they missed their seeding. Most of the fast riders are no real randonneurs. They usually ride cyclosportifs and every four years they do a few brevets and PBP. They absolutely don't follow the new rules and proceedings.
And that's what changed, the rules. In the preveious editions it was a free for all at the start. Your queueing tactics decided in which start group you would start. This time it as a lot more civilised. The ones who did the longest brevets in 2014 had first choice. So by the time the fast riders who hadn't been keeping track of the news could choose their startgroup the first group was already full. Tough luck, one should stay informed.

After the B group passed we had back to the citycentre and find a nice spot on the centre of the roundabout. While entering the roundabout the riders have to negotiate a sleeping policeman. A few riders try to evade it at the last moment which leads to a few near misses. Some riders see their kit flying in all directions. Not all thoughbread racers are suited for a light load. A lady on a tasty randonneuse shows that it is possible, securely mounted luggage on a nice bike propelled by fast legs.

When the D group has passed we move closer to the velodrome. Our clubmate Roze is already on the bridge. A few SMS's later we find her. On the bridge we see the nicest startgroup, the specials. The weirdest bikes are assembled here. The best ones are two Italians on pre-war bikes, and not pre WW II, no before the Great War.

Now it's our time to line up for the start. Our start is 45 minuts after the specials, our holding pen has opened already. Before we may enter the holding pen there's a short check. Lars has his scanninchip on hsi wrongleg so he has to wait and change it. We meet up again in the holding pen. Lot's of known faces here.
But still something is lacking. In the old stadium you had to enter the stadium via tunnel this gave the right feeling, the feeling of a gladiator not knowing if he would survive or not. A few minutes before 18h we're invited to head to the starting grid. A few speeches later we can count down and head out, finally, 4 years after the last one.

Slowly we head out for the first kilometers. The spectators line the road. Especially on the bridge over the motorway it gives a real Tour de France feeling. Except that we don't speed through it. I take my time for the roundabout. 2-3 corners later we reach the wide 4 lane boulevard. Two lanes of it are closed off for us. Now I release the adrenaline and start overtaking many riders. I'm still in the streets of St Quentin en Yvellines when I meet the remainin posssible esperantist, Graham. He recognises my esperanto shirt. He doesn't speak it though, only his brother does.

A while later I spot Leo up the road. Leo has the same strong and weak points as I have. Fast descending and slow climbing. So a good wheel to follow for me. It doesn't take long before I reach him. He isn't riding his usual speed though, I lose him soon.
Slowly we leave the urban area's and reach the countryside. After 15k of fast riding I decide to take it a bit easier. I've already gained a nice advantage on the timeschedule, just by riding fast for the first half hour. Now there are nice pelotons to join. The early startslot makes the first part a lot easier. Everyone can now spot the furniture and now everyone dares to descend fast. That was different with the old start in the darkness.

I spot the first Breton flag even before the Rambouillet forest. They are a long way from home. And  way to soon I overtake riders from earlier startgroups. Especially Wobbly on his Pashley. He had a mechanical 10k from the start. It'll be a tough challenge to finish PBP when he's already behind schedule now.

In the forest the light and fast brigade has runs into it's first troubles. At the end of a fast descend a few Italians have to turn around. They've lost part of their kit at the first speedbumps. The bikecheck hasn't been thorough enough for them.
In Nogent-le-Roi I stop for some photo's and cola. Only here the first riders of the K group overtake me, long after I've overtaken the first riders of the H and F groups. As long as I overtake more riders of earlier groups as that riders of later groups overtake me, I'm riding fast enough.

Not long after Nogent a small paceline overtakes me, a paceline headed by a several Croat riders. I jump in and talk ith one of the Croatian riders. He tells me that there are now brevets in Lipik, only 4km away from Pakrac where I was a volunteer for a peace NGO during a few weeks in '94. I immediately decide to try to ride one of the Lipik brevets next year. That's the superb part of PBP, constantly meeting like minded people from all over the world.
Only now daylight is fading. Slowly I reach my first scheduled stop, the Café des Sports after 81km. The first stage of 220km is a tad long to ride without any stops. The Café des Sports has a nearly ideal location. Especially since it's about time to dress up for the night and switch on my lights. The Café speeded up the proceedings. They sell baguettes and cans of coke and other drinks in front of the café. I buy a can of coke and a baguette brie.

I join a table with several riders from Lviv. A Russian rider from Volgograd joins us. No hard feelings between the riders whatever their politicians might think.
I take it easey when I head out again. This is my usual tactic. It's only 35km to the hills of the Perche. I want to reach that part of the ride with well rested legs. In Longny-au-Perche we circle the village square again and turn right, straight up the first real hill. I shift to bottom gear in the corner. Many riders don't know this climb and I hear a lot of crunching of gears.

Usually the Perche throws me bak a lot. But not this time. Without any problems we reach the Mortange contol. I glance inside and see an enormous queue waiting for the restaurant. I don't want to spend time waiting so I only use the toilets. A lot of riders fill their bottles here, I prefer to use the outside options. Behind the outdoor bar is a specially designed place for filling the bottles. A lot less chance for tummy bugs here. I eat a few rolls which I have in my rackpack and continue.
The Mortagne control is on top of a hill. So we head out in a descent. I have no issues during this first night. There are a lot of riders which do have problems though. A lot of riders are sleeping on the verge. A lot of villages are specially decorated for PBP. That's a nice change from the pitch black countryside.

I decide on an intermediate stop in St Paul le Gaulthier. I know that the next controle in Villaines can really eat away a lot of time. I prefer to stop a outside of the controls and eat there, the café in St Paul is ideal. A lot of Bulgarian and Russian riders assemble here, although, Bulgarians.... One of the Bulgarians is in fact British.

A few hundred metres before the Villaines control the supermarket and bakery are open. I restock my supplies and continue to the control. The whole street is fenced off for PBP. To the right the town hall with all the contorle facilities, to the left all other amenities as restaurant, mechanic and sleeping facilities. I dash through the control. If you know your way around you can get in and out of this control in 10 minutes. When you use all facilities it'll take an hour easily, especially when you're right in the middle of the bulge. With the combination of a fast control and a caféstop I can gain 15-20 minutes per control.
When I exit the control I see the silent witness of a DNF.

It's unusual for me to leave Villaines in the dark. I've started 3 hours earlier as usual. Especially for today's leg this will make a huge difference. I try to reach Carhaix before darkness. The sleeping facilities at the Loudéac control are usually totally overrun, the same was the case for the St. Nicolas de Pélem overflow sleepstop. I've managed to plod on to Carhaix before sleeping. But when starting at 21h this is a major risk. Now it's perfectly feasible. I continue into the morning twilight without a delay.

It takes a long time for the sun to remove the morning fog. In the fog I see a lot of riders who are suffering already. It'l be difficult for them to finish. The Breton climate is an extra obstacle. In the fog I meet the Beatriz, one of the very few women attempting PBP on fixed, in fact only two have managed to finish PBP on fixed, Beatriz could be number 3. She certainly manages to handle the usual fixie-problem, she unclips at 30/35km/h and freewheels downhill. Luckily she has good brakes on her bike.
In Le Ribay there's an additional feeding station, a tent at a busy crossroads. It's right on time for me. I stop and enjoy a nice breakfast of french fries and tea.

One of my favourite sections of PBP starts now. A nice mixture of medieval towns small towns and rolling countryside. Not surprisingly also one of the sections with the highest density of unofficial feeding stations. The locals really enjoy the ride and are very supportive.
It's a pleasant surprise for a lot of the new riders. For some of them one of the few pleasant suprises. The climate is a shock for many, especially Asian riders. Many of them wear way too much clothes, those used to the climate are already in short sleaves while some other riders wear wintergloves, longs and a wooly hat.

One of the notable small towns is Ambrières. At the scenic bridge a giant bike adorns the town. A lot of riders stop here for a photo. I don't stop this time, not even for the supermarket, my stocks are still enough. I continue with my Willesden mate Ray and Drew Buck. This time Drew Buck rides a 1930s skip bike. Quite new for him, he took part with turn of the century bikes a few times already.

A few kilometers further on I bump into Karl. He's at the roadside mending a puncture. He broke his pump so I lend him mine. WE continue on for a while. Karl runs a legendary brevet series in Bavaria. His rhytm doesn't match mine so we part ways. I prefer to ride my own rhytm and only ride with someone when the speed matches.
There are way too much feeding stations on this stretch to visit all of them. I limit myself to a few photo's while passing them. I want to reach Fougères without delays.

In Fougères Ia bump the controle as well. I have something else to do here. In St Quentin-en-Yvellines the railway station didn't sell any TGV tickets on Sunday and I still need a ticket home. Lars SMS'ed me that there's a railway station booth right at the side of the route, this despite the Loudéac railway station hardly having any services. I reach it just before their lunchbreak and buy my ticket for the Paris-Lille TGV. There are only a few TGV's which carry bikes so I have to buy it early.
After the shopping stop I leave town. At the edge of town I spot a bakery with baguettes. I stop and enjoy my lunch on the gras. Karl has the same idea and stops when he passes me.

The Fougères-Tinteniac stretch is an easy one as well. Not much happening here except from memeting a few friends. Towards the end of this stretch I meet Jukka. We team up for a longer stretch. Together we reach Tinteniac. I show Jukka how you can bump the cntrol. He follows my tactic and we leave Tinteniac together. On previous occasions I lost an hour at this control. I don't want to repeat this. After Tintenia we climb the long slope. At the crossroads near the top is a pub where I packed in 1999 with stomach problems. Luckily I can continue without stopping this time. In the centre we stop at the supermarket, as scheduled. We buy some food and drinks and eat outside the shop. Another 20 miutes gained. 3 controls like this and you win an hour of sleeping time. An hour best spent at your favourite sleeping time, for me that is the end of the night.

On the next strecth I see a lonely rider speeding ahead. A surprising view. Only a while later I see a sizeable bunchin pursuit. Björn escaped before Brest and managed to stay out of reach until the finish. This although he has no asistance. This is a legendary performance.

One of the faster Dutch riders overtakes me suprisingly. Jan had been a bit ill and slept at Tinteniac. He's back up to speed so I can only ride with him for a short while. I opt for a short stop at a feeding station in St. Meen. They are more interested in the 'real' foreign riders. As someone with a reasonable command of French and living in a former French département I'm not foreign enough. They are surprised though when I tell them that last time I slept in their village in the Hotel Credit Agricole, in front of the ATM. They can hardly believe that someone does something like that.
When I continue I meet Jukka again. I can team up with him, he has a human speed.

I reach Loudéac together with Jukka. At the side of the street leading to the control Jan's car is parked. The car with our drop bag. Not that it is a huge bag, a 10 liter backpack is enough for me. I change clothes and replenish my food and drinking powder supplies. I eat a few rolls from my rackpack and continue to the controll. Again we stop only for controlling. We immediately leave Loudéac, and head off into the night.

I fear the next stretch. In 1995 I missed an arrow and had a 30k detour. During the very wet 2007 edition I missed an arrow at the return and lost all my remaining sleeping time. Also this time it's a difficult stretch for me. Jukka waits on top of the first hills but I tell him to continue. Everyone suffers alone here. I can't even go full speed at the descents. There's too much returning traffic now. I can't ride on the left lane lights ablaze.

In St. Martin des Prées this ordeal is over. This villag is another legendary one. But it's only legend now. Sonia stopped her restaurant 4 years ago, now the heart is taken away from the festivities. It now is especially a village partyfor the local and less for the riders. Still I stop to eat some pasta. But I don't enjoy it. I can hardly eat and I'm freezing, very unusual for me. I use the toilets and take some warmer clothes from my rackpack. On the next stretch I stop twice for tea but I don't feel very well. My shoulderinjury starts again. Probably I'm dressed too warm. This is one of the few times that I use the official gilet, a suffocating design.
Only when I reach St. Nicolas de Pelem my body funcitons again. I didn't plan to stop her but the marshalls direct me inside, it's a secret control this time. Against my usual habits I sit down. At the secret control I meet Cyrille and Wobbly. Wobbly is considering packing and asks if I know a good train connection to the ferry. Luckily Cyrille is there, he knows a lot of French railroads. For the ferry harbour he advises retracing to Dingé and taking the train north there.
Cyrille isn't feeling well either. He considers packing because he fears running out of time. That despite him starting an hour later as I did. I advise him to continue. The best railwaystation to return to Paris is in Brest anyway so he can cycle there. If the controllers hand him his card back he can continue because he's still in the race. Only when the controllers take your card away you're out. In all other occasions it's best to continue.
I absolutely don't consider packing. After recovering I continue. There was no doctor in St Nicolas to check my shoulder so it's an extra reason to continue to Carhaix. A few kilometers up the road I see a lot of marshalls in Maël-Carhaix. It's a secret control for the retur. I ask if there's a doctor there but that is not the case. I continue to the local bakery behind the church. This is one of my planned stops. I know it from last time. While I'm drinking my tea I'm invited to sleep there. I don't waste as second and accpet the offer. It's only 10km to Carhaix and I'm a lot earlier as usual. There's a fair chance that all the beds in Carhaix are already taken. I ask to be awoken after 45 minutes.

« Reply #153 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »

Right on time the light is switched on. I'm wide awake and leave my cot. But outside it looks completely different now. Yesterday morning there was only a light fog but this is heavy fog, I can hardly see anything. Carefully I rejoin the road. Luckily a lot of riders are out on the road now, especially riders who stopped in St Nicolas for sleep. I can follow the long line of taillights barely penetrating through the fog. At least I know where the road is so I can reach the control in Carhaix in relative safety.
It's quiet in Carhaix. Those who have slept are gone, the main bunch sleeping in Loudéac hasn't arrived yet. According to some calculations there were 1000 riders at the Loudéac control that night. At the meical post I ask the doctor to check my shoulder. I explain him the history of the inury, an old proffessional injury from my previous job. His conclusion is simple and comforting. I can't destory more by continuing, I may ignore the pain. If I want to I can use extra painkillers. He even gives some to me. I don't plan on using them.
In Carhaix I use the restaurant for the first time this PBP. Luckily it's not full. Half the people are asleep, sometimes with improvised protection against the cold. I feel a lot more comfortable now. My shoulder should hold out an I reached the Carhaix area without sleep. Each time I reached Carhaix without sleeping I managed to finish PBP.

Despite using a lot of time at the control I'm still within the timelimts when I leave the control. It's light again when I'm back on the road. The first part to Huelgoat is one of the nicer parts of the ride. But this time I can't enjoy it, I'm still sleepy. I opt for a short sleepstop to prevent falling asleep on the bike. I take my mountaineering emergency sleeping bag and find a soft spot.
15 minutes later I awake and feel fresh again. I roll up the sleeping bag and take my bike. A long line of riders is visible, the main bunch of those who slept in Loudéac caught up with me. Within a few minutes I meet Dawn who rides a nice speed. WE continue on together. Just before we reacht he main road I stop to top off my bottles. I know that the service station has a tap on the outside. Dawn continues.

At the crossroads with the mainroad I stop again. It's warm now. I can continue in shirt, all the warm gear moves to the rackpack. From this point on it's a long climb to the transmitter tower which marks the highest point of PBP. The wide road isn't too steep and it's anice climb. I meet a lot of other riders on the climb and admire some of the faster specials. One rider even equipped his bike with a full streamline fairing.

I reach the summit of the Roc Trévézel without difficulties. Now it's a long descent to Sizun. Sizun is a major crossroads at PBP. The routes in and out of Brest are different, they meet up near Sizun. The small town is dominated by randonneurs. Everywhere there are bikes, all café's are filled with them. The supermarket is rapidly running out of stocks. I resupply at the supermarket and continue. I know I'm not there yet, there are still some nasty climbs before I'm in Brest. This time I can climb easily, sometimes I even drop others, a complete contrast to 2007 when I was dropped by about everyone and slowly reached the timelimit.
Together with a Seattle rider I descend to Brest As usual we can see the bridge from far away. Nearly everyone stops here for a photo. This feels like the turnaround, not the control. After passing the bridge the usual climb to the control follows. This time we're back at the old control. I prefer this one, last year's one was not as good. Still I don't intend to stay long here, there are better places to eat in Brest.

While leaving he town I pass a pizzeria. This is a good spot to eat. A lot of randonneurs are here allready. I join them and order a pizza. But this pizzeria takes more time as usual, twice as much as a usual foodstop. Slowly my timereserve disappears. But I don't panic. For the return you get a lot more time as for the way out.
Leaving Brest means climbing. And descending of course. During the long descent I feel sleepy. I spot a nice shady meadown and sleep another 15 minutes.

A 15 minutes sleepstop really helps. I feel fit again and immediately can join a small group. Cyrille is in this group as well. He's suprised that I'm still completely clam although according to his calculations I'm out of time. I'm not worried, the next timecheck is in Carhaix, only then I should be in time again.
The descend to the river is fast and furious. My old Koga gives me a lot of confidence and I reach a max of nearly 69km/h. At the other side of the river I meet Dawn again. We're riding the same speed again so we team up another time.

In Sizun we restock again at the supermarket. There's still a steady flow of riders descending the Roc Trévézel. Mainly 84 hour riders who started on Monday morning, 10 hours after I started. But also a few riders in trouble. I'm already on the timelimt, they are way over it. Even after we've passed the Roc Trévézel there are still riders heading to Brest.
Surprisingly Mark and Jess are quite far ahead on their tandem trike. Usualy Mark is huggin the timelimt, when Mark overtakes you, you're in trouble But this time he has a comfortable margin.

At the top of the Roc it's time to dress a bit warmer so we stop. During the descent of the Roc I meet the only French driver who overtakes like a madman. That's a good score on 1200km. The stringent laws on overtaking bikes in France really work.
When we reach Dawn I propose to bump the control and have a rest at the secret control 10km further up the road. But Cawn prefers to eat in Carhaix. I continue alone. In Maël I don't stop at the bakery this time but continue to the secret control. A lot of riders are eating here. I want to order food but there are only meatdishes. So I limit myself to a cup of tea.
Faster as expected I continue. I don't mind it that much, there'll be plenty of foodstops on this stretch. I join the small groups into the evening twilight.

When I reach St Martin des Prées it's dark. This time I only stop for a short itme. They have large bottles of Breton cola, I like this one so I buy a large bottle 15 minutes later I continue. The hills are less hard form this side. There's no more outbound traffic so I can go full speed at the descents.
I continue to Loudéac with a small group mainly consisting of 84 riders, the fast ones who sleep a lot. I enjoy this fast bit and I need it. I don't have a lot of time in hand. I'm going flat out in the descent to Loudéac. On the last bit into town I drop all the 84 hour riders. They have to throw the anchor at each traffic bump, otherwise their clip on lights will desintegrate. I've bolted my lights firmly to my front rack so I can jump the traffic bumps. Marginal gains do help at PBP. I arrive in Loudéac with 7 minutes in hand.
I continue to Jan's car. I really look forward to a fresh pair of shorts. I don't really gain any time with this assistance. But I gain a lot of comfort. And this gain of comfort cn be the difference between finishing and packing. It's time well spent. Monique uses this time differently. She sleeps in the car. Jan tells me that Jaap had to pack his body couldn'cope. He can't shift his gears anymore. I sympathise with him. These issues two months before the start forced me to use another shifting system. I don't use my usual Bioracer with Ergopower shifting but my old 1987 Koga Miyata with bar end shifters. They are more versatile and being forced to change your handposition does help to prevent issues.

I continue after this stop. The part fro Loudéac to Tinteniac is really nice. But I know that I'll have to sleep somewhere, I can't reach Tinteniac without sleeping. The first part is fast. I can join a lot of faster rides. Some riders are mentally quite down. I try to cheer one of them up but I don't know if my efforts are succesful.
A bit later I have to be assisted. Other riders talk to me so I stay awake. I'm nearly falling asleep. I manage to reach Quedillac without any accidents, no ATM sleeping for me this time. In Quedillac there's a nice amount of riders. A good vibe without being overrun. I guess that most riders are sleeping in Loudéac. Outside the control building a few riders are sleeping around the fire.

I find  al sleeping spot inside. The cots seem to be in use but around the sleeping hall there are a lot of sleeping mats. I find a comfortable spot and sleep immediately.

I'm still very sleepy when I awake. There's still some time so I decide to sleep a little bit more and this is enough. I ut on another layer and take my bike again. The remaining stretch to the control is rather fast, as usual I enjoy the long descent to Tinteniac.

I manage to gain enough time to arrive in Tinteniac with 15 minutes in hand. So I resupplied at the car, slept and I still gained an extra 8 minutes. Time for a reward. I treat myself to a nice breakfast at the self and a shower. My first shower since the start.
I'm constantly meeting people on th enext stretch. I'm leaving Tinteniac in a mixed Russian/Ukrainian group with Tanja from St. Petersburg and a rider from Lviv. Tanja is quite fast, she already gained 11 hours on me. The next rider to team up with is Steve. I have a long chat with him about various cycling subjects. I do keep to the left of him though, the last thing he can use is getting hit by another vehicle. An hour later I let Steve set his own pace, he is a bit too fast for me.

I reach Fougères together with Dawn (not the same one as on the Roc Trévézel). She has a beautiful Rambouillet, a nice steel bike. I tell her where the exact control is located. Those who park at the beginning have a long walk to the control proper. We ride to the back of the site and park ride in front of it. There's even a small bar there. I don't stay very long, only a few minutes to admire the bike and take a few photo's.

I know that here are a lot of feeding stations on this stretch, including a very famous one. The one I liked last time, in Le Louroux, is not available now. So I opt for the classic stop iN La Tannière. You can't miss this one, a whole flock of riders stop on both sides of the road. Paul's crêpes are very popular. A few riders sleep here. Everyone is capable to sleep everywhere. When I see Dawn appraoching I flag her down. She stops and immediately enjoys the place.

I join a group of US riders for the next bit. I'm riding fast. This is a nice stretch to ride. I've now passed the place where I packed in 2007. So all signs are ok, I'm quit sure that I'll make it this time. I know that there are no difficult parts of the ride until I'm in the Perche again.
For a lot of riders it's not that positive. I see many riders sleeping in the verge, they need their siesta. In Ambrières I leave this small group. I want to use the public toilet here. Around the corner is a feeding station so I drink tea there.

Again I opt for the feeding station at Le Ribay. I can eat fast here in stark contrast to the Villaines restaurant. Especially since I'm in the middle of the bulge again. Dawn joins me here, she got the trick and enjoys the meal. Natalja from the Legion Uchta club neads a bit more explanation before she also gets that it can save a lot of time. After another portion of french fries I continue to Villaines. I park my bike at the exit of the control area. It helps to have a kick-stand on the bike. I dash through the control building and continue to the supermarket. I stock up for the night.
The next bit is the last bit I really fear, the Perche.

It's an easy start of the next stage, long gently rolling quiet main roads. And a lot of nice groups. This is easy riding, I can gain a lot of time. In the late afternoon. And not only lot's of big groups, also a lot of marshall cars. I assist one of them who had to give a time penalty to a rider who was swerving all over the road. The problem point was that the controllers only spoke French and the rider's English was limited. Finally the message ges through. I also discuss with the controllers the issue of the official gilets. These are very hot and sufocating. The heat can lead riders to fall asleep and swerve all over the road. A few weeks before the strat I bought an ultra light reflection jacket (more a sleeveless shirt) at my local Decathlon. It does the job and doesn't overheat.
A while later the feared situation happens. Another controlcar passes and the controller orders everyone to dress up in reflective jackets. This although the sun is still shining and we have at least an hour of daylight left. The French law doesn't stipulate this. I opt for not debating it with the controllers, especially when they are inside their car way up the road. I don my ultralight reflective gilet and ride on, checking carefully that no one around me falls alseep.
An hour later it finally gets dark. At that moment I'm riding along a typical straight as an arrow French road in a swift moving Swedish paceline. But I have to stop, it's time to switch on my lights. A kilometer further up the road a control car is checking if veryone has his lights switched on.
After the check we turn left and leave the long straight road. Not much later another feeding station lines the road. A German participant constructed an interesting relief for his neck muscles from inner tubes and an empty botle. A typical case of Shermer's neck, not uncommon on PBP. One of the possible causes is a kangaroo pouch for your brevet card, passport and cash. I prefer to keep everything elsewhere and not risk this problem.

There are large groups of 84 riders around here. Most of them want to reach Mortagne in the early night and sleep there. For me there won't be such a luxury as a night of sleep, I have to be in Dreuxh at 7h14, at least according to the schedule.
The road is straight as an arrow again but suddently everyone veers left, away from the track. I stop, take my flashlight and check the verges, no arrows in the ditch. So I follow the crowd. A few kilometers further on I pass an open supermarket. I know this one, I stopped here last time. And I remember that there are two tracks for this stretch. The supermarket doesn't only sell standard food, they also have microwave pasta and a microwave. I opt for a pasta. I'm hungry again, probably I haven't eaten enough during daytime.

I leave this village in a larger group. It's easy sailing to Mortagne, a lot easier as usual. Finally I climb at the same speed as the others, better as during all the rest of PPB. I arrive in Mortagne with 40 minutes in hand. This time the restaurant is quite empty. I order a plate of omelette and pasta and sit down.
My fate changes when I rejoin the road. It started to rain. Now there's even more chance of overheating. I done my waterproofs and gilet and continue. Most of the 84 hour ridiers are gone now, they are sleeping. The road is filled with 90 hour riders most of them nearly out of time. Everyone suffers in silence. Ocasionally I have to stop for a catnap on the handlebars. Services are very scant here, I desperately need a stall with tea but none of them at the roadside now. Only in Senonches, when I've already left the Perche there's a feeding place. And a good one, including a large awning and chairs. I sit down and fall asleep.

It just takes me 15 minutes to wake up again. OK, not wide awake but sufficiently to carry on. I eat a bit and mount my bike again, back into the rain. We're slowly leaving the hills of the Perche, now it's the time to crank up the speed. There are more people around here, some villages are even large enough for one way streets. In one of them I miss an arrow but a sidestreet later and I'm back on the route. This is my only navigational error during this PBP. Everything is clearly signposted, the GPS adds it's bit in keeping me on the track. I know in advance when to check for arrows.
In one of the many villages I stop for another catnap. I can't ride safely so a catnap is a good solution. A nearly finished busshelter gives me enough protection from the rain. Another 15 minutes of sleep later I'm back on the road again, fresh enough to continue to Paris.
Slowly larger groups are growing. Mostly the stragglers of the all night riding brigade and a few riders who slept early in Mortagne and closed up on us. And we really need these groups. It's flat highlands here, protection from the wind is needed. Together with a few US riders I descend to Dreux. We easily find the control. I'm technically out of time but only 13 minutes. No controller asks any questions about it, no one cares. Everyone knows that we just finished the last hard bit of PBP and from now on we can gain time. And even if someone would have mentioned the 13 minutes, I've de doctor's visit marked in my brevet card and I can add the translation work for the control car.

It's only the 2nd time that PBP visits Dreux. This means less inofficial feeding stations around Dreux, the tradition still has to grow. So I decide on a copious breakfast in the canteen. After we all finished our food we try to re-formate our group. But we manage to get split up on the climb out of Dreux. It's not a big deal, there are enough groups around now. We're joined by the riders we decided to sleep long and late in Dreux.
My legs are strong again now. It's rolling pasture land between Dreux and Paris, a light tailwind helps, I start eating away from my backlog. At the start of a nice descent I'm in a fast German group. I shift up and speed downhill together with them. We keep the speed up for a while, until the Côte de Gambais. I know this one, we're back on the old route. I know it's a hard one so I take it easy. Halfway I dismount and change to the 24 inch gear, I don't want to risk my shoulde rin the final stage of PBP.
At the top of the hill there's the usual crowd again, including the spectator who's always here, joined by his big cowbell. Rain or shine, they are there to cheer us up and give us the energy for the final stretch. We are back again, back on the roads well trodden by PBP, back in the villages where the locals know us and know what we need.

I'm back inside the timelimit, even after walking part of the Côte de Gambais. A succesful finish is possible again. Slowly we near Paris, the age old villages are replaced by futurustic suburbs. A few kilometers before the finish we leave the sububs and enter the large park. We're nearly there. A few riders who've already finished are heading to their hotels and homes. We enter the velodrome via the park entry. A deception. Gone is the entry into St-Quentin-en-Yvellnes whcih we enjoyed during the previous events, gone are the crowds lining the street, gone are the highrisers where you could admire yourself and your mates in the big mirror like windows. Gone is the roundabout where hundreds of spectators would cheer you on while you mounted the final ramp.
Now it's a simple alleyway and the stony parking lot of the velodrome. I pass the electronic finish and park my bike in the bikepark. When I enter the velodrome there's the usual line. I don't mind. I've already passed the electronic finish and still have more than 30 minutes in hand. The line is not that long. Within 10 minutes I reach the official controller who congratulates me. I hand over my control card. PBP is finished, 6 participations, 4 finishes and 2 DNF's.
Inside I try to reach Rose. She mesaged before that she would be at the finish. But there's no reception in the velodrome. I do see Lars, Cyrille is still on his way. The next deception is about to follow, the food. We were promised food at the finish. I join a long line. After quite some time I reach the head of the queue. Then I hear that they only have pre-packaged meals with chicken, no option for me as a vegetarian. I turn away.
Cyrille has already finished. Together we find a table in the velodrome, Rose has finally joined us. But she leaves us so she can fetch some food from the supermarket. I'm glad she's doing it, I'm too tired to go there. After I've finished the food she got e I sit down in a corner and fall asleep. When I see the photo's which were taken by an unknown hand, I see that I slept next to the beerbarrels. I couldn't care at that moment.

Only hours after our finish Lars and I leave the velodrome and cycle to our hotel, very, very slowly. Nearly everyone finished but still there are stragglers trickling in. I hope that those who finished but outside of their timelimits will be mentioned in the restults as finished out of time. An out of time finish is a lot better as a DNF.
Nearly everyone is safely back at the hotel. Despite our tiredness we enjoy the evening at the pizzeria. The owner is having another excellent evening.

Most riders leave in the next two days. I take my bike again and retrace the first bit. I want to enjoy the scenic villages I raced through on Sunday evening. That's another stunning part of PBP, the French landscape.

I give the classic sight of Paris, the Eiffel Tower only a glance when I ride to the northern railway station on Sunday.

« Reply #154 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:36:55 pm »
Blimey Ivo, how one earth did you remember it all?
Did you manage to complete this write-up within the 90hrs?  :)

But my favourite soundbite was this:

He has already learned the PBP rule, whenever you spot something edible, eat it.

That's all a person needs to really know.
Terrific stuff, thanks.
Garry Broad

« Reply #155 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
Great write up and photos Ivo.

Well done for finishing in time too.

Sorry to see that Karl was DNF at 697km. I've not seen him since his Die Grosse Bayern Rundfahrt 1200km back in 2012.

« Reply #156 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:52:54 am »

Sorry to see that Karl was DNF at 697km. I've not seen him since his Die Grosse Bayern Rundfahrt 1200km back in 2012.

Karl had a work related accident in the spring which did cost him part of his training. So there is a reason for his DNF.

« Reply #157 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:21:13 am »

Agreed - lovely writeup. Could I be uber cheeky and use a couple of your shots on my blog also (with credit of course!). Several are of landmarks I enjoyed but wasn't smart enough to stop and actually take pics of!
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #158 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:25:57 am »

Agreed - lovely writeup. Could I be uber cheeky and use a couple of your shots on my blog also (with credit of course!). Several are of landmarks I enjoyed but wasn't smart enough to stop and actually take pics of!

No problem with using the photo's. Reference: Ivo Miesen, photowebsite: http://fotoalbum.dds.nl/ivo_m There are more PBP pics on this website.

« Reply #159 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:32:20 am »
Great, thanks Ivo
- Rob
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

paul851

« Reply #160 on: 17 September, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »
I couldn't do PBP this year due to real life getting in the way but after reading Ivo's ride report I feel as if I had been there  :thumbsup: great write up , many thanks  8)

Paul

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #161 on: 18 September, 2015, 03:44:14 pm »
Great write-up, Ivo.  I couldn't remember half the detail you did.

Nice to see you know Lars: he and I packed at the same point on a 600 out of Luxembourg in 2011, and did a pleasant overnight toddle from Baccarat to Saarbrucken together - early morning coffee in a fire station and fresh croissants in Keskastel.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #162 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:40:47 pm »
Great write-up, Ivo.  I couldn't remember half the detail you did.

Nice to see you know Lars: he and I packed at the same point on a 600 out of Luxembourg in 2011, and did a pleasant overnight toddle from Baccarat to Saarbrucken together - early morning coffee in a fire station and fresh croissants in Keskastel.

I've spent quite a few holidays together with Lars and his daughters, cycling through different corners of Europe. In fact, he got into Audaxing as his wife and I set up a bit of a trap ;).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #163 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:38:39 am »
On our 600 he was two weeks out of hospital after "braking with his face", as he put it.  We did about 80 k together, and later he came here to do a 100k UAF Audax I had organized.  Odd email/FB contacts on & off ever since, and a few minutes at Montigny.

« Reply #164 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:13:43 am »
On our 600 he was two weeks out of hospital after "braking with his face", as he put it.  We did about 80 k together, and later he came here to do a 100k UAF Audax I had organized.  Odd email/FB contacts on & off ever since, and a few minutes at Montigny.

That was a very nasty accident. I visitid him in the hospital a few days later.
Bad bikepath design and illegal driving style by the cardriver was the cause, sadly the police never caught the cardriver despite quite some effort.

« Reply #165 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:38:11 am »
Ivo, first off, very well done on a well executed ride. This is a great report. I've bookmarked it for 2019. Thanks for sharing it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #166 on: 19 September, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »

That was a very nasty accident. I visitid him in the hospital a few days later.
Bad bikepath design and illegal driving style by the cardriver was the cause, sadly the police never caught the cardriver despite quite some effort.

I never heard the details - not something you want to dwell on, especially with a total stranger.

That was a horrible 600, though.  The organizer had simply picked out a route with OpenRunner and not bothered to do a recce, and it took in some hellish hills and a steep climb up to ~800 metres in the Vosges.  With Lars fresh out of hospital and me clobbered by wrongly-prescribed BP meds the Vosges were a non-starter.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #167 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:26:43 pm »
Thanks for the write up Ivo.  Really evocative, even if I passed the places at a different time and at a different pace, your account brings all the memories back. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #168 on: 24 September, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
WARNING; THIS IS VERY LONG

Finally got round to checking the spelling and times on the notes I made a few days after finishing.  It's a long read, but I hope there amy be some bits to interest people.

Paris-Brest-Paris 2015: A personal account

This was my third PBP so to some extent I knew what to expect, yet still there were aspects that caught me by surprise – in particular, the amount of climbing involved. My memory has always told me that the route was generally flat, apart from the obvious high points such as the Roc Trevezal, but this year I seemed to be constantly moving up and down the gears and there were moments in the last quarter of the ride when I was found myself struggling to keep momentum on the long climbs.

Riders were being sent off at 15 minute intervals, in groups of a few hundred. I had secured a slot in the 6pm start group, Group J, which meant that there were three other 90-hour groups on the road ahead of me from the start (F, G and H), the sub-80 hour groups A-E having started from 4pm.  90-hour groups would continue to start every 15 minutes until 8pm (Group T), with the sub-84 hour group X starting at 5am the following morning.  Allocated start times was a new introduction for PBP. In the past, there were just 3 start groups, one for each of the time categories, and one simply had to queue until one reached the start line.  Last time around, this had meant a wait of more than 2 hours in baking sun for many of us in the 90 hour group, leaving us irritable and dehydrated from the get-go. 

Our group of 300 was off on the dot of 6pm, the motorbike escort leading us out of town on closed roads with applauding crowds.  As always, the buzz lifted everyone and the pace was high – too high to be sustained and potentially leading people to burn out too early in the ride.  I rode fast for the first 20km or so, as I was in a large bunch that was rolling along well. For much of that I was chatting with a lady named Nicky, who had recently moved from the Cotswolds to South Yorkshire and was not only riding her first PBP but had taken up Audax riding only this year.  She had, she told me, taken a photo of my bike earlier that day, having noticed the Tigger mascot on the back.  That Tigger was to serve as a reference point or conversation starter throughout the ride.  It also had a more practical purpose – making it much easier to find my bike among hundreds of others at the controls along the way. 

There were numerous watering stops along the way – usually families who had set up a table outside their house and were topping up bottles from their household supply – whilst as in previous years the Bar de Sport in Chateuaneuf en Thymerais, at 80km, was doing a roaring trade in expressos and, no doubt, beers for the more confident riders. Starting earlier than in past years meant that this was the first time I had passed through the town in daylight and I was easily able to resist the temptation to stop.

Nicky, riding with very little kit, was enjoying the pace but after a quick stop to top up the water bottles near Chateauneuf en Thymerais, I eased off to a speed that I knew I could hold over remaining 60km to the first food stop, at Mortagne au Perche. I knew from past experience that the last 20km or so featured a succession of sharp climbs so I wanted to keep some energy in reserve for that stretch. I didn’t see her again so I presume she found herself a fast-moving group and finished with plenty of time in hand. She had a B&B booked for the following two evenings at Loudeac and was planning to ride from there to Brest and back in one day, which I thought was a little ambitious, but she looked to be a strong rider so perhaps it was achievable with a suitably early start and late finish.

My plan, such as it was, for the ride was to keep an average moving speed of more than 20kph and to limit my time at most of the controls to an hour, interspersed with two or three longer breaks in which I could get two or three hours’ sleep. On previous occasions, I had taken my first such break at Carhaix, about 500km in, but this time I planned to ride through to Brest (615km) before allowing myself to lie down.

It was a beautifully warm evening and I reached Mortagne at about 1.00 am, still in shorts and short sleeves. For some reason there was no coffee available (a harbinger of shortages to come at several of the controls) but I put away a bowl of pasta and a yoghurt and, with an extra layer for the cooling night, was back on the road within the hour.

The ride to Villaines, the first control proper, was uneventful. In fact, it’s probably the dullest part of the PBP route. I would occasionally hook up with groups of other riders but frequently found them to be constantly speeding up and slowing down while I was comfortably holding a consistent pace, so I was mainly on my own. I rolled into Villaines at 4.30, meeting up with some of the Essex crew who had started at the same time as me but not stopped to eat at Mortagne. I was feeling a little sleepy so allowed myself a slightly longer stop and a 45 minute catnap at the table before heading out again, still well within my “schedule”.

Villaines to Fougeres, at 300km, is virtually one road, punctuated with long (dull) drags rather than steep climbs. This suited me as I’d been concentrating my “training” on pushing slightly higher gears than were comfortable for extended periods. I found myself passing group after group, occasionally picking up a few followers. I arrived at Fougeres just before 10.00, had a quick coffee, and pressed on, knowing that it was only 54km to the next control at Tinteniac.

This leg was hillier than I remembered but I was feeling strong and reached the control at 1.20.  In past years the food here has been quite poor but the options this year were a little better and I was able to load up with both carbohydrate and protein and squeeze in a short catnap before setting off for Loudeac, arriving just after 7.

At just under 450km, Loudeac is where many riders choose to take their first proper sleep and, as such, it has a huge dormitory in which mattresses can be rented for a few hours.  I suppose that would be quite seedy if it wasn’t for the fact that after 24+ hours without sleep and 450 km perched on a small piece of leather, few would be capable of anything other than dreamless slumber.  It’s an odd control in that, for some reason, half the town seems to come out to wander around and generally get in the way of the riders. In 2003 I queued for more than an hour for food because there were so many locals taking the opportunity for a cheap meal.  Thankfully, that’s been seen to and now only riders are allowed in to eat, but it retains a slightly chaotic feel and I was happy to grab a quick meal (the only control offering fresh fruit salad!) and move on.

One amusing thing at Loudeac, though, was seeing a large number of drop bags laid out for a group of Japanese riders who had clearly come with some form of organised tour.  The bags were identical and individually numbered.  Over the event, there was some discussion among riders about the Japanese riders, a large number of whom seemed woefully ill-prepared for the challenge.  On the way out from Paris, less than 50km into the ride, I found myself overtaking Japanese riders who had started 30 minutes before me and I was to encounter many who seemed to be struggling.  Indeed, as I approached Carhaix on the return from Brest (so, some 700km into the ride) I was amazed to see some members of that ‘G’ start group only just leaving the town – still on their way to Brest several hours after the control had closed.  There was some speculation that perhaps their qualifying rides had not been policed to the same level as those in other countries, thus allowing the tour organisers to achieve sufficient entrants to make the trip viable.

Between Loudeac and Carhaix, it gets seriously hilly, but for me this stage was a novelty as I had not seen most of it in daylight before now.  In past years, my later start time and slower pace has meant arriving at Loudeac at dusk and leaving in the dark.  This year I left at around 8.15, giving me a couple of hours of daylight. I was feeling pretty strong still and found my legs powering me up hills that just a few months ago would have seen me scrambling for lower gears. Certainly I left a fair number of people in my wake, which is a rare occurrence for me.

However, lest I become too cocky, it was on this stage that I started to encounter the first of the “vedettes” – the very fast riders who carry no luggage and (mostly) have support crews at every control – on their way back, having started just two hours before me. I envy their ability to ride so fast but can’t help feeling that they’re missing much of the fun of the event.  I like that I can stop for 15 minutes for a chat with a couple who have set up a table at their garden gate and are offering coffee and cake to any cyclist that feels like calling in. This year, I did that more than on either of my previous PBPs.

On those two earlier PBPs, Carhaix was the low point; the point at which I have nearly quit.  I think that’s because I have arrived in the early hours of the morning, cold and tired, compounded by the poor quality of food available.  This year I arrived just after 1am focused on taking on some carbohydrate and bit of protein, having a 45 minute snooze, and heading straight out again. 

The next stretch, up into the Forest of Huelgoat, is to my mind the most attractive part of the PBP. In past years I’ve ridden it in the first light of dawn so it was interesting to ride it in darkness, hearing the sounds of the forest at night.  It seems counter-intuitive, but it’s possible to appreciate the beauty of a place in the dark as well as in daylight.

From Huelgoat it’s a steady drag up to the highest point on the ride, the Roc de Treverzal, which I reached shortly before the first light of dawn.  A blistering descent, peaking at 68kph, and rolling roads took me to Sizun, where several cafes had stayed open all night providing welcome coffees and snacks.  Stewed coffee and hot quiche has never been so appealing. 

After Sizun, it’s fair to say that the ride gets rather dull. For understandable reasons, the organisers like to bring riders into Brest over the old road bridge, which sits alongside the more spectacular modern bridge and offers fairly attractive views of the harbour.  However, the route to this is dreary to say the least and once over the bridge one quickly realises what an unappealing city Brest is.  A long, mainly uphill, drag through grim streets leads to an apparently unfinished community centre.  This is the Brest control, the place for 6,000 riders from all over the world have been aiming, and what a complete and utter let-down it is.

Now, I’m writing this a week later and I still can’t believe how utterly abysmal the Brest control was.  The bike parking, toilets (unspeakable) and canteen were on three separate sites and the latter had three separate serving areas, requiring you to queue three times were you so choosy as to require a hot drink, fruit and something more nourishing.  I was fortunate; at that point I had enough time in hand not to need to eat there, but I did need to sleep.  I learned afterwards that there was a separate sleeping area, but in my befuddled state, I saw nothing to indicate that the idea that riders might need some sleep had occurred to the organisers. However, I did manage to find a flattened out cardboard box in an unfinished part of the building and stretch out on it for a couple of hours’ reasonably uninterrupted, if not comfortable, rest.

I’ll comment on the overall finish later but it does seem to me that for most riders, getting to Brest is an achievement in itself so it’s a shame that this, of all the controls, should be such a let down.  This isn’t new, by the way. It was poor in 2011 and, indeed, in 2003.  Perhaps Brest would prefer the ride to go elsewhere. Certainly, it seems uninterested in welcoming it.

Having arrived at Brest at 8am I left at around 11.30 with almost 50 hours to get back to Paris.  A comfortable margin, I felt.  Annoyingly, over the next 18 hours I made several misjudgments that chipped away at my buffer and even left me, briefly, worrying about finishing on time.

The first mistake was to go for a pizza.  As I was leaving Brest, I bumped into Veloman, another British rider whom I knew.  Like me, he had been underwhelmed by the food on offer and, like me, needed to refuel before the hilly ride back to Carhaix. I had in mind a boulangerie and a pile of croissants, pain-au-chocolate and pomma.  It was, after all, breakfast time.   He had in mind something more substantial and thus we pulled into a Dominos Pizza on the outskirts of the city. 

One of the things I love about France is that it has not succumbed to the takeaway culture and it’s still quite unusual to see overweight blobs waddling through the streets grazing as they go.  On the other hand, when one does visit a fast food place, there’s a reasonable expectation that the service will be, well, fast.  Sadly, this message hadn’t reached this particular branch of Dominos and so we lost a good hour for the sake of a mediocre blob of dough, cheese and tomatoes.

Back on the road, Veloman was faster than I and quickly left me behind (although I learned later that he had suffered stomach problems later in the ride and abandoned). I rode the rest of the way to Carhaix solo, stopping off once again in Sizun for a cold drink in a marquee the locals had helpfully erected in the market square.  Here, a Belgian rider rode off just as I arrived, leaving behind a pouch containing not only his brevet card but also his cash, ID card and driving licence. I waited a while for him to return but, after half an hour with no sign of him, I took it with me.  Happy to report, I was able to reunite him with it at Carhaix where, the controllers told me, he had arrived in a state of despair.

I reached Carhaix at about 5.30 to discover that the canteen had run out of all food apart from a thin, tasteless soup and some overcooked green beans.  Annoying for me but I could imagine how difficult things were going to get later as more and more riders started arriving back from Brest. I allowed myself an hour’s sleep and, still hungry, pressed on for Loudeac.

Fortunately, I was able to find a boulangerie still open in one of the villages – Merleac, I think - not far along the way and stopped off for a feast of pastries and coffee. A few miles further on was an official feeding stop. The fare on offer wasn’t too appealing but I did stop for a coffee and bumped into Alistair, also known as PieEater, with whom I’d ridden some of my qualifying rides this year. He was chatting to Heather Swift, one half of the AUK film crew on the ride, and I promptly found myself being drawn into the on-camera discussion.  Given my cumulative lack of sleep, I dread to think what I said but no doubt it will come back to haunt me on YouTube someday.

I stayed far too long and, when I was leaving, PieEater suggested that he and his friend, whom I’d not met before, joined me for the rest of the stage.  With hindsight, this was a mistake. They were riding at a slightly slower pace than the one I had established and, having started later than I, were also keen to stop at each opportunity and so another 45 minutes were frittered away at a roadside café in St Martin de Pres, barely 20 miles down the road.

In the end, I reached Loudeac just before 2am, only 10 minutes before my cut-off time.  Although there was no real risk that I would not be able to claw back some more time, I had squandered almost all of the buffer that I had built up in the first 600km. 

PieEater and Pal wanted to stop at Loudeac for some food but I chose to continue, determined to get back into the black. (Sadly, I was to learn that PieEater also failed to finish, having suffered stomach problems on the penultimate stage, from Mortagne to Dreux.)  I rode steadily to Tinteniac, stopping only for a disappointing breakfast at Quedillac (again, they had run out of many of the items that were supposed to be on the menu), and, after only a brief stop to eat a couple of yoghurts and a crepe, continued to Fougeres, at 900km, which I reached just after 11 am. 

I bumped into another familiar face, my near-neighbour, John, also known as Jsabine, on the way in and we both opted to have a proper lunch here. He was on the same finish time as me and was keen to get going straight away so that he could “bank” a bit of time for some sleep later on. Although I’m a slower rider than him on the road, I was confident that I could make up for lost time and opted for 45 minutes stretched out on the grass snoozing before setting off.  Apart from a few long drags, the next stage is rolling rather than lumpy and I was proven right, reaching Villaines once again at about 6pm, 72 hours after starting. 
This is a weird control – some love it and some, like me, dislike it intensely.  It sprawls either side of the street; there’s a canteen on one side which, predictably, had run out of almost everything. On the other side there’s a “restaurant” attached to a large hall, in which most of the town seemed to have come out to eat.  In the middle, where you park your bike, there seems to be a perpetual party going on with trashy Europop blasting out at high volumes and a middle aged man prattling into a microphone.  Last time around, I made the mistake of trying to get a few hours’ sleep here, only to discover that one of the speakers for the DJ was on the window ledge of the hall set aside as a dormitory. The service is always slow, especially as every transaction seems to involve two or three people and a great deal of discussion.

At the time I arrived, there seemed to be some confusion over where the food was being served and a long queue (mainly comprising non-cyclists) was building up.   I did get something to eat, though, and put my head down for 45 minutes before heading back out into the night air.  At the table, I chatted briefly with an American couple riding their first long ride outside of their home state of Florida. They were having a thoroughly rotten time, having not anticipated how hilly the route would be.  How did it compare with London-Edinburgh-London, they asked.  I felt duty bound to warn them that while the hills on LEL were harder and that the resulting views and descents more than compensated for the climbing, it was an altogether more challenging ride.

Villaines to Mortagne was memorable mainly for a couple of roadside coffee stalls, one run by the local cycling club in Mamers and the other by an enthusiastic family who just happened to live near the top of a hill about 20km from Mortagne and seemed to have roped in several of their neighbours to keep an all-night barbecue on the go. My riding pace was fine but I must have spent a good 60 to 90 minutes at these roadside diversions. The final climb to the control was, as always, painful, and I was relieved to arrive at about 1.20. The food here had been good on the way out and was still good on the return. A freshly cooked omelette and some yoghurt did the trick, enabling me to carry on without a further snooze.

I commented above that the run in to Mortagne was a series of difficult hills and, of course, the same was true of the route back, but in reverse.  If anything, they are harder going back because of tiredness and I found them particularly hard going this year.  However, once I reached Senonches, where the route back diverges from its outbound counterpart, I knew that the remaining 36km to Dreux were relatively flat and I was able to pick up the pace again.

Throughout the previous few stages I had been getting increasingly irritated by the behavior of some of the other riders, particularly those who insisted on riding in the very centre of the road even when going slower than those all around them. This seems to be a peculiarly American habit, but I also noticed a large number of Asian riders adopting the same approach.  If they had held the position it might not have been too bad but many had an equally annoying tendency to drift across the front wheel of anyone trying to overtake them.

Overall, I was shocked at the poor road sense displayed by many riders this year and the inability of many to ride in a bunch without causing difficulty to other riders. On several occasions I simply rode away from groups, having gotten fed up with people either sitting on my wheel without contributing or coming to the front and then immediately slowing down. And on the long climbs, where tired riders started to weave all over the road, I generally found myself taking the left lane and simply grinding past everyone.

All along, I had been aiming to finish between 11.30 and 12.00, so arriving in Dreux, just 65km from the finish, at 6.30am meant that I had time to have a shower and change, as well as having some breakfast (although, yet again, I found the selection uninspiring). I was anticipating a 3 hour ride to the finish and so was slightly taken aback when another rider that I know well began telling me that the final leg contained “four major climbs” and would take at least 4 hours.  On that basis, he said, I needed to leave asap.

I was thrown by this as I’d looked on the map and the route looked to be very similar to that from 2011. I compromised, not rushing off but bringing my departure forward by about half an hour.

As it turned out, the route was pretty much the same as last time, with a few short steep climbs but nothing that was going to make a big difference to my time, and I found myself rolling in to the finish with plenty of time in hand.  I even ended up standing in a bus stop for a while, taking shelter from the sudden and torrential rain, so that my welcoming party could find their way to the finish in time to meet me.

As with Brest, the finish was a let down. In previous years, we’ve entered through the town and circuited a roundabout – usually full of applauding and cheering people – to reach the finishing line.  This time it was a dull ride through a park before turning up through a narrow track alongside which a few people were standing, but with no sense of a finish line or any form of welcome.  A real let-down, in fact.  Then there was the chaos of the bike park, the queue to hand in brevet cards and the mediocrity of the finishers’ meal – cold chicken and undercooked pasta. 

I spoke to a few people and left the velodrome feeling completely deflated.  Had the family, and my friend, Jon (who had been riding his first PBP but, sadly, had to abandon at Brest) not been there to welcome me, I suspect that I would have found myself questioning the point of it all.  For all its reputation as THE pinnacle of long distance cycling, there’s just something slightly missing about PBP and it’s at the P and the B rather than in-between.  Along the road, the support was inspiring. A week later, in Mortagne au Perche, I picked up the local paper and was amazed to find no fewer than 5 pages of photos from the event.  This from a town through which we had merely passed.  I think more needs to be made of both the arrival in Brest and, especially, the finish.  Frankly, I’ve experienced more of a welcome at the end of a 60 mile ride in the UK.

Overall, I wonder if PBP has over-reached itself and can’t cope with the number of entrants it now attracts.  The growing number of entrants riding with support crews, taking their meals from camper vans parked up around the controls, must make it hard for the volunteers to plan the catering, for sure, but that’s not really a satisfactory explanation for the poor quality of the food on offer at most of the controls or the lack of forethought that leads to (for example) having to join three separate queues in order to buy breakfast at Brest.  Similarly, the shambles of the pre-ride meal, at which all food ran out before 4pm leaving any riders, like me,  departing after about 5pm having to quickly find something to eat in the town centre before setting off, can only be down to bad planning, since those of us opting for the meal had paid in advance and collected our meal tickets on the previous day. 

Perhaps these are minor gripes that seem significant now, a week on from the event, but will fade into proportion in a few months and be forgotten by the time qualification for 2019 starts. On the other hand, getting the food right is such an essential part of any long ride and absolutely crucial in circumstances where there are few other options available than the official controls. It can make the difference between finishing comfortably and failing – aside my own friends, I have since heard several stories of people abandoning due to stomach problems, which may be a consequence of inadequate nourishment along the way.

Will I do it again?  At the time of writing, my inclination is not to. I’ve done it three times now and, while on the first two occasions I had moments when I seriously considered abandoning, and at times was riding right up against the time limits, this year I rode on my own terms, completely self-sufficient, always confident of finishing at the time I had planned and able to stop along the way and enjoy the event more. So, in that sense, I feel that I’ve “done” PBP and it’s hard to think of a good reason to do it again.  And, it has to be said, when compared with, say the spectacular and diverse landscapes of London-Edinburgh-London, the route itself is not that attractive.

Perhaps I could volunteer next time around, to give something back in that way, or help organise some qualifying events.  We’ll see. In the meantime: been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And that’s enough for me.

So, what was worked and what didn’t:

Worked:

15 minute time slots for the start
Signage along the way
Names and nationality on rider number plates
Additional food/sleep stops between Loudeac and Carhaix
The online tracking system

Didn’t work:
Catering
The Brest control generally
Not having the correct control times on brevet cards
The finish
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

paul851

« Reply #169 on: 24 September, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »
Well Ivo's report had me feeling that I had ridden PBP vicariously Redlights has helped to take the edge of my disappointment at not being able to ride and was actually more how I imagined PBP would be but hoping it wouldn't . Great write up  :thumbsup:

Paul

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #170 on: 25 September, 2015, 01:46:08 pm »
Riding slowly in the S group (19h45 start) I found most of the controls pretty well stocked when I got there - re-stocked, probably.  In Villaines on the way back they had instituted separate queues for riders and the hoi polloi locals, but the subterranean dining hall and the long trudge with a perilous tray down into it were bloody, esp as there were folk coming up in the other direction and kids running about. By the time I reached Mortagne there was nobbut croissants but they were excellent and I put away a bunch.  At Dreux there was still gratiné and a bellyful of that was fine.  Brest... well yes, a shambles.

But who cares? I certainly don't: I love PBP and I'll do my damnedest to be back in 4 years.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #171 on: 25 September, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »
the long trudge with a perilous tray down into it

Hence the beauty of having a small child carry your tray!

Actually I didn't get this little treat this year - on the way out, the children are all in bed.  On the way back, I just had something from the snack bar and then went outside and soaked up the amazing atmosphere as the whole town treats us like celebrities. 

I love that place - I'm actually planning to pass through it on a tour next year just to see what it is like without hundreds of people lining the streets!  Leading a little peleton into the town with that roar of cheers is one of those moments I will cherish forever. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #172 on: 25 September, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »
Shows how banjaxed I was on the way back - I did have a kiddie take over my tray halfway down and I'd totally forgotten.  I was scared stiff he'd drop it.

What gave me the willies was the row of trough-style bike stands lining the road.  I did actually put my brand new front wheel into one, but I couldn't stand the thought of leaving it to I found a nice safe bit of wall to lean it on while I was doing the 100-yard dash round to the control.

« Reply #173 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:10:42 pm »
Actually I didn't get this little treat this year - on the way out, the children are all in bed. 
Depends what time you get there. They stay up for tandemistas.

rob

« Reply #174 on: 25 September, 2015, 04:39:46 pm »
I'll have to say the controls were all great for me this time, where I got what I fancied at the right time.   I made a really conscious effort to get ahead of the bulge and stay there.   This allowed me a bit of sleep and quick passage through the controls.   Knowing where everything was from previous rides really helped.

I used the restaurants at Villaines, Fougeres, Loudeac both ways, Carhaix outwards and Mortagne on the way back.

I am completely torn about whether I'll go back at all - my opinion keeps changing and, if I do, how I would approach it - try to get quicker or try to savour the experience a bit more.