General Category > On The Road

Cycle commuting back in the day

(1/12) > >>

telstarbox:
A thread aimed at the more seasoned members. Did you cycle commute "before it was cool" let's say pre 2000?

If you did, would you be the only cyclist on the road or did other people go the same way? Did you worry about bike theft or distracted drivers? Did you bother logging your rides/mileage in the pre Strava era?

Basil:
Yes
Yes
No
Of course not.

Robh:
Yes
Not really. It was in London.
Yes
Never have done

Wobbly John:
I was certainly cycle commuting  (about 12 miles a day) in the mid-80s and the mid-90s I did have spells where Mrs WJ worked in the same city, so used the car apart from her days off.

I used to log mileage when we had a thing that tagged it on your profile on here (or wa it on ACF?), but not really before that.

I don't think it ever has 'been cool' around here.

Not many other cycle commuters on my route. When there have been occasionally regulars that commuted in the same direction, they were at a similar pace, so I would see them about half a mile ahead, but never really meet them.

The local bike shop owner (and ex-vet National track champ) is an occasional fair-weather commuter on my route but is usually faster on his carbon road bike.

Ham:
Oh yes, cycling into Central London felt like you took your life into your hands each time. I witnessed some kind of accident at least once a month.

Wasn't the only cyclist on the road in London, but there were substantially fewer - it was a minority passtime. bikes were regarded as poor man's travel (although I had a BMW325i AND a central london parking space for some of this time)

Didn't worry about bike theft, worried about all drivers, consideration for cyclists was pretty much non existent. It's when I  developed my mantra "Don't be where the accident is going to happen"

I never bothered logging commute even when Strava etc was a thing. I used to ride with a computer, but ditching it was entirely liberating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version