Author Topic: Manchester United Clear-out?  (Read 10082 times)

Manchester United Clear-out?
« on: 12 November, 2018, 01:31:38 am »
No, I don't mean the manager, though that might well be the first move.  Their defence, which includes the fabled De Gea, has let in more goals so far this season than all but five Premiership teams - and one of them ISN'T Newcastle.  This must be a real headache for the defenders and especially their agents.  Who is going to buy defenders from Manchester United, when they are no good and will presumably be on wages too high for other clubs?  This leads, like the Worm Ouroburos (which swallows its own tail) to a problem for Manchester United, who have to keep on playing these defenders or pay even sillier money to replace them.  Not so long ago they would have had youth team members ready to step up but maybe they just join Salford City straight from school these days.  It's not all over yet - but it is very satisfying (no, I am not a City supporter and can't even speak Spanish).

Edit:  Knowing my luck - and Mike Ashley - I bet the first move will be for Newcastle's Lascelles. 

Re: Manchester United Clear-out?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2018, 01:46:47 am »
I despise Man Utd, despite my dad being a fan. But to be fair, he did actaully grow up in Manchester rather than your usual fans from Surrey.

Jose needs to go if they're to turn things around. It's obviously not working. The rot has set in and they need to change. But I can't say I'm not enjoying their shitness...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:12:45 am »
In order who should be sold first.

1. Ed Woodward - woeful negotiator
2. Chris Smalling - woeful
3. Phil Jones - woeful
4. Sanchez - doesn’t fit with team
5. Fellaini - monospeed
6. Romelu Lukaku - too slow

Then look at Mourhino if the replacements don’t improve things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:27:57 am »
No, I don't mean the manager,

You might as well have meant him too
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2018, 01:01:46 pm »
Don't think anyone is particularly surprised by this morning's news.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2018, 03:02:17 pm »
Probably for the best for United fans, but I'm not sure what they're actually going to do with a new manager. Obviously they have very high standards and expectations, but as Jose himself loves to blame his players, I think he's got a point.

I do think some of the reporting is somewhat idiotic though. I mean:

Quote from: BBC
United are sixth in the Premier League, but closer to the relegation zone than leaders Liverpool

Closer to the relegation zone?! WTF? That is possibly the most dumb sports journalism ever. Talking about the leaders (Liverpool) and Man U who will no doubt still at the very least finish where they are currently (Sixth) and the relegation zone is utterly absurd. Was that article written by a 6th former on work experience?

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2018, 03:59:33 pm »
I think it's just a way of expressing that while they are 6th, they are miles off the pace at the top. Clearly they aren't getting relegated (even if they appoint a complete incompetent, they can get another 12 points from the season). Their wealth and talent insulates them from that sort of fate - the worst possible season they can expect is 9th.

I can't work them out. They have a number of very good football players, but it's really hard to arrange them into something that resembles a team. Whoever the next manager is needs to either pick a couple of compatible players and then build a system around them, or define their system and impress upon the higher ups just how important it is to buy players to fit that system. They should probably ignore the managers job and hire a sporting director to run the club competently. Make his first job hiring a manager. I suspect the clamour for an appointment will overtake this sort of logic though.

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
Probably for the best for United fans, but I'm not sure what they're actually going to do with a new manager. Obviously they have very high standards and expectations, but as Jose himself loves to blame his players, I think he's got a point.

United are sixth in the Premier League, but closer to the relegation zone than leaders Liverpool

Closer to the relegation zone?! WTF? That is possibly the most dumb sports journalism ever. Talking about the leaders (Liverpool) and Man U who will no doubt still at the very least finish where they are currently (Sixth) and the relegation zone is utterly absurd. Was that article written by a 6th former on work experience?

Probably a reference to the film on BT Sport about United's relegation in the 1970s. There were various reviews and commentaries on that. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/dec/07/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-relegation

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:35:05 pm »

I think it's perfectly valid to point our they're 19 points behind Liverpool but only 14 points above Burnley (in 18th). It gives much more context than "6th place". They're 8 points below Arsenal in 5th but another loss (and a bunch of other results going against them) and they could be 11th as Bournemouth (currently in 11th) are only 3 points behind them).

Mourinho has got 26 points from 17 games so far this season. At the same point in his season Moyes had 28 points from 17 games (and ultimately survived until April).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 18 December, 2018, 06:48:45 pm »
I was disgusted, but not surprised, that with all the political Mayhem that is dogging the country at the moment, the 11am R4 news bulletin led with this insignificant nonsense.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 18 December, 2018, 06:52:11 pm »
Rumours are it’s Solksjaer until the summer with either Zidane or Pochettino for longer term.

« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:04:16 pm »
I was disgusted, but not surprised, that with all the political Mayhem that is dogging the country at the moment, the 11am R4 news bulletin led with this insignificant nonsense.

If they're still talking about Mourinho being sacked from Man U in two years then the world will have truly got things completely out of kilter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »
Is Victor Lindelof the new Torben Piechnik?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:29:49 pm »
I despise Man Utd, despite my dad being a fan. But to be fair, he did actaully grow up in Manchester rather than your usual fans from Surrey.
That old chestnut.  ::-) Having grown up in Manchester (with family still there) it is my opinion that
there are almost as many City supporters in the conurbation as there are United fans.

« Reply #14 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:33:38 pm »
Rumours are it’s Solksjaer until the summer with either Zidane or Pochettino for longer term.
If that's true, I wonder if he'll bring in his mate (former United player and Crumpsall resident, Mark Dempsey).

« Reply #15 on: 18 December, 2018, 08:04:06 pm »
Larry White was up there as the bookies favourite earlier today.

(As the next Permanent manager, not a stand-in-until-the-end-of-the-season like Solskjaer would be.)

« Reply #16 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:36:46 pm »
If that's true, I wonder if he'll bring in his mate (former United player and Crumpsall resident, Mark Dempsey).

I’d like him to utilise Butt and Carrick.  Butt has done a great job with youth squads and there are some real hot shots coming thru.

Chances of us improving position is low but once/if Europa secure then start bringing them through. That gives lots of choice to next permanent man.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »
That old chestnut.  ::-) Having grown up in Manchester (with family still there) it is my opinion that
there are almost as many City supporters in the conurbation as there are United fans.

A Palestinian friend of my younger daughter who lives in Jerusalem was devastated when Mourinho was sacked. He's a City fan. So I think the cosmopolitan nature of football supporters affects all the top teams, it seems.

I don't think he gets to many matches.

« Reply #18 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:56:12 pm »

A Palestinian friend of my younger daughter who lives in Jerusalem was devastated when Mourinho was sacked. He's a City fan. So I think the cosmopolitan nature of football supporters affects all the top teams, it seems.

Why are you talking about this insignificant nonsense? Surely you should be in PAOBI ranting about shit?

« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:26:34 am »

Why are you talking about this insignificant nonsense? Surely you should be in PAOBI ranting about shit?
You're the one who came on first bleating and whining about hating United. :hand:

citoyen

Manchester United Clear-out?
« Reply #20 on: 19 December, 2018, 07:33:35 am »
You're the one who came on first bleating and whining about hating United. :hand:

The difference is bobb wasn’t ‘disgusted’ at this ‘insignificant nonsense’ being deemed newsworthy, so he kind of has a point (although Wowbagger is as entitled to comment on insignificant nonsense as anyone else).

Personally, as a Liverpool fan who endured the dismal 90s after the glory years of the 70s and 80s, I have some sympathy for Man Utd fans* - it looks like you could be in for a similar period of turmoil. Very different circumstances now, of course, and I can’t see it being too long before Man Utd are back competing for the title.

*jks. I’m actually revelling in your misfortune and especially gleeful that it was a trouncing by my team that put the final nail in Jose’s coffin.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 19 December, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

I'm not proud. I'll even exchange shit-talk with you, bobb.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:02:37 am »

It think the comment is more about the number and proportion of fans that are not from Manchester than the ones that are. When I lived in Manchester I far preferred to go to Maine Road. Much more passion and loyalty than at Old Trafford, which was full of cynical expectation. Maine Road generally laughed at itself (and hated OT, of course  ;D )
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:21:44 am »
A former colleague of mine, who declared himself a lifelong fan of Man United, once interviewed Dennis Irwin. In an absolutely priceless couldn't-make-it-up moment, he asked Irwin: "Do you remember where you were when Ole Solskjaer scored the winning goal in the 1999 Champions League final?"

« Reply #24 on: 19 December, 2018, 06:16:28 pm »
When I lived in Manchester I far preferred to go to Maine Road. Much more passion and loyalty than at Old Trafford, which was full of cynical expectation. Maine Road generally laughed at itself (and hated OT, of course  ;D )
We follow City because Maine Road was our nearest First Division ground (no Premiership in those days of course). There is something faintly dull about winning all the time, compared to the excitement of never being able to predict the outcome of any game whatever.