Author Topic: iPhone SE as a GPS?  (Read 2710 times)

iPhone SE as a GPS?
« on: 26 December, 2019, 11:30:28 am »
One of my daughters passed me her iPhone 7 Plus (stuff like this used to flow downwards from Dad)  :)
My iPhone SE 128gb storage is now spare. I have a SIM card in it and View Ranger installed.
Can I use it as a GPS on the bike? I have a waterproof cover.

Never knowingly under caffeinated

Phil W

Re: iPhone SE as a GPS?
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2019, 12:54:41 pm »
Yes you can, as phone has a GPS chip.

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2019, 01:12:55 pm »
I've got a iPhone SE, and I have a waterproof case for it. It fix it to the bike, I have an additional waterproof pouch, with a self adhesive 'quarter turn' mount stuck to it. The case has a lanyard that gives me extra security of clipping round the bars - I've rescued other cyclists phones from being run over after they lost them.

The touch screen still works through both waterproof cases at once - all cheap off ebay.

I have Viewranger, with the free 'roadmaps' map,  but don't often use it as a 'sat nav'. I'm not sure it would have enough battery life, so it's there if I need it to navigate back to civilisation if I'm lost. I do use Strava with the screen off and it will run all day on my phone, and still leave 50% battery.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2019, 01:17:18 pm »
Every audax I’ve done I’ve navigated with an iPhone, including PBP.

The main issue is battery life, especially on an older phone and especially in cold weather. Some sort of power bank is necessary for more than short journeys, and if the connection gets wet it’ll corrode quickly. Vaseline can mitigate this to some extent.

(I’m assumkng you want to use it for screen-on navigation. If it’s just for ride recording with the screen off, battery life can be measured in days)

« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2019, 10:22:48 pm »
Thanks all.

I tend to use a gps just for finding out where I am when I have confused myself with the OS maps and route cards so it will be more for route recording.
Two of my bikes are now motorised and have usb outs from the battery so electricity shouldn't be a problem while the power battery has any left.

« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2019, 10:25:04 pm »
I have an additional waterproof pouch, with a self adhesive 'quarter turn' mount stuck to it. .....
......I'm not sure it would have enough battery life, so it's there if I need it to navigate back to civilisation if I'm lost. I do use Strava with the screen off and it will run all day on my phone, and still leave 50% battery.

Thanks for that. What is this quarter turn self adhesive mount, please?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2019, 11:54:46 pm »
Try Maps.Me. It lets you download offline maps for the whole country, including autorouting. Can be useful for simple navigation.

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2020, 09:25:18 am »
Quad Lock does the best covers and handlebar mounts. Comes with a waterproof and touchscreen sensitive ‘poncho’.

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2020, 10:36:49 am »
Thanks all.