Author Topic: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions  (Read 68507 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' MTB to Road bike conversions
« Reply #75 on: 30 November, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »
Does FrankenBert like pigeons, paperclips and oatmeal, whereas FrankenErn likes rubber ducks?
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #76 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:20:32 pm »
I've just winter commuter-ized the On One In Bred.  It now has Aldi mud guards, Schwalbe Winter Marathons, an old dinotte light.  Pics when ICBA

The Winter Marathons are 3 or 4 years old so I used a schwalbe spike replacing kit on them.  Half a dozen new ones in on the back and 1 in the front.  The only tip for adding the spikes with the special tool is to use a bit of 2x4 as a kind of anvil to press on.  Oh, and they are quite ping-fuckety but there are 50 in a pack so it doesn't really matter.

The Aldi mud guards are clearly aimed at the MTB rider who finds guards slightly embarrassing.  Their "quick removal" features are fully explained on the packet

« Reply #77 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:41:48 am »
and FrankenBert

I am liking FrankenBert a lot. My kind of bike.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #78 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:27:55 pm »
^ thank you  :)

Ideally I'd like to find a set of cheap Kona P2 rigid forks or similar for FrankenErn to make Ern more Bert like....
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #79 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
About two years ago I was looking for some forks for the black hybrid that I really am going to get around to selling sometime soon (...) and I saw a pair of just that in http://www.thebristolbikeproject.org/ So maybe if there's a bike recycling place in Oxford or Aylesbury or, who* knows, possibly even Thame?

Who being you!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #80 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:48:10 pm »
;D

Good plan, I'll check....

I bought a pair at a car boot sale recently - but sadly they're 1 1/8" steerer and I need a 1" pair....  but it was too early on a Sunday morning for my brain to fully comprehend what size the steerer was! That reminds me I'll have to add them to the  bits boxes clear out thread...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #81 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »
Whereas the reason I didn't buy the pair I saw was that they were 1" and I needed 1 1/8"  ;D (And I never did fit the forks I bought - something anonymous and silver  ::-))

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #82 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »
^ thank you  :)

Ideally I'd like to find a set of cheap Kona P2 rigid forks or similar for FrankenErn to make Ern more Bert like....

I may have a pair which are surplus to requirements.  I can confirm in a week or two, once I'm back in London.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #83 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »
I may have a pair which are surplus to requirements.  I can confirm in a week or two, once I'm back in London.
[/quote]

Oh yes please Andrij, that'd be great  :thumbsup:

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #84 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:02:08 pm »
1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 - now sweetly road going. I hate filth and mud and cleaning bikes - no to mention eyeballs bouncing around in their sockets so one can't possibly see where one's going - roads best - especially here in rural Snowdonia  :thumbsup:

The newly refurbed/morphed Winter shopper. 1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain tubeset, acquired for free/karma from a very nice chap on www.retrobike.co.uk  :smug:

Built a new pair of all black dyno wheels, new Gilles Berthoud mudguards and a new rear rack. Old skool early 90s Campag Centaur gears and chainset/BB (apart from Shimano hub and cassette). Fortunately the original canti bosses are at 80mm V brake compatible centres, so have excellent, easy to set up and maintain V brake stoppage.

Upside down North Road handlebars on a long 130mm horrible looking 3TTT stem - so that will get replaced with a 130mm Nitto shortly.

Not sure about the black wheels - have ordered a silver SP PV8 dyno hub to build a new sparkly pair - will then decide  ::-) Pump will get moved. Have some clear 'helicopter' tape to replace the temporary cable tied dyno wiring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648805712932/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #85 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:35:14 pm »
The very idea of a 531 mountain bike is rather delicious, like the last gasp of old tech in a new world that soon will care not.

What tyres are you using (and are they any good)?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #86 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:30:15 am »
The very idea of a 531 mountain bike is rather delicious, like the last gasp of old tech in a new world that soon will care not.

What tyres are you using (and are they any good)?

I have another about to become the 'next' project, a larger 1987 22" horizontal top tubed Raleigh Avanti with 531 forks as well and a proper lugged fork crown. Even slacker angles - it's almost falling backwards over itself - bit like Robert Crumb's 'Keep On Truckin' men  ;) It is destined for a re-enamel with contrasting head tube and set tube panels, plus lug lining. It will have Velo Orange Porteur handlebars and stainless steel front Porteur rack - to become the light summer shopper and Carry Freedom trailer puller  :thumbsup:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648266482689/

The tyres are Vittoria Randonneur Pro folders, 26" x 1.5" - wonderful slick boots - very supple 120 tpi carcass - incredibly comfortable and roll superbly. Recommended at full price never mind the daft £9.99 I paid from PlanetX  :smug:

« Reply #87 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:18:47 am »
Slope the Blueridge looks lovely. As will the Avanti I'm sure.

Brings back fond memories of my first MTB: a Dawes Ranger: 531, super slack angles, wheelbase the length of the QE2, proper lugged fork crown.  My local shop has a 22"  framed bike  in the sale - so I bought that instead of the full price 20" one. I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inside le g- that was 'interesting' off road! :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #88 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:38:52 am »
Thanks, Slope. I have Vittoria Randonneurs on the (no longer used, supposed to be selling it) hybrid and need something more roadish for the UTB as I call it (MTB that goes shopping, to the pub and, hopefully, camping and stuff - but virtually never off-road nowadays), but hadn't occured to me to just fit actual road tyres.

« Reply #89 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:33:44 am »
The Muddy Fox Sorcerer in it's current guise as debuted at Long Itch. (As per the members' bikes thread)

Tange prestige tubing (made specifically for Muddy Fox apparently!), 7 x3 mountain LX bits. Bought new by a friend and donated to me without a rear wheel, and in a real state a few years ago. 

Currently has: Nitto moustache bars and technomic stem,  Shimano bar end shifters, Brooks Ti B17 and Brooks bar tape, Suntour Self engergizing rear brake and  Suntour front canti, SKS guards.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #90 on: 12 May, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »
"Ravinia" (1987 Raleigh 'Avanti' 531 F&Fs) back from new paint at Ellis Briggs and built up as the Summer shopper/CF trailer puller

Before and after : https://www.flickr.com/photos/obswerve/sets/72157648266482689

« Reply #91 on: 13 May, 2015, 07:55:46 am »
Slope, that's really lovely!  :thumbsup:

Are the mudguard Gilles Berthoud as per the Blueridge?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #92 on: 13 May, 2015, 08:10:52 am »
Slope, that's really lovely!  :thumbsup:

Are the mudguard Gilles Berthoud as per the Blueridge?

Thanks :) Aye, 50mm GBs = good with 1.5" Vittoria Randonneur Pro tyres + SKS (50-60mm) rubber mudflap

'91 Blueridge about to become an off road bike again :o

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #93 on: 13 May, 2015, 11:24:24 am »
Slope that looks well comfy.. lovely angles on the frame

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #94 on: 13 May, 2015, 06:27:55 pm »
Slope that looks well comfy.. lovely angles on the frame

Indeed it is a joy to ride and takes a load with much aplomb ;D including towing a large Carry freedom 2 wheel trailer :thumbsup: I much prefer 72º and slacker seat tubes (the world of bicycle frames seems to be intent on pushing us ever forward!) partly cos it helps with getting a Brooks saddle back far enough on its short rails and I just love the laid back look/vibe :smug:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #95 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:29:37 pm »
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Dreaming about getting back cycling again (pesky gubbed knee....), I thought I'd share photies of my cheap and cheerful BTwin Rockrider 5.3 MTBSO, which I bought, new, for £260 back in 2012. 

Here it is in it's stock MTBSO guise, in Fordell Estate, Fife, June 2012. It's an XL size frame, so field gate sized!

Slow forward a few years, and lack of MTBing, means I'm planning on resurrecting it it as a general utility / leisure bike / tourer, to replace my old Dawes Horizon tourer (which I had oft found to be too wee despite it being a 58cm frame).

Swap out the by now worn out suspension fork with a nice On One Cromo fork (june 2015). Had to change the brakes from the stock tektro mechanical disks, to avid bb5s, due to the mount on the rigid fork being post mount.  Bodged the rear mudguard from my old dawes horizon into place. 

Add a ebay special single wheel trailer, which has still to be used in anger - I had planned on doing some cycle camping last year till gubbage of knee occured.  Hopefully this year!

Current plans are to build a set of 700c disk wheels, to replace the rather heavy stock 26" wheels.  Plenty of clearance for 700c wheels, judging by the frame & fork. Might even build a 700c disk dynohub front wheel!

:thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #96 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:40:41 pm »
I like it.

« Reply #97 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »
here's some orange for you:

Great bike for charging round town and on the towpaths. it doesnt need 27 gears, I could probably singlespeed it and make it even lighter but not sure I can be bothered.. 

« Reply #98 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:27:35 pm »

My 1992 Kona Fire Mountain. With Salsa Cowbells and dia compe bar end shifters

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #99 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
I like it.

Thanks!  Still undecided about this bike - it seems a little too large for me, and my Mountain Biking days are over. Very heavy wheels. Avid BB5 cable disc brakes are not easy to keep adjusted! Rebuilding my old Dawes Horizon tourer into a butterfly barred hybrid / tourer is tempting at the moment. Hmmmmm.