Author Topic: You might be a cyclist if ...  (Read 4657 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
You might be a cyclist if ...
« on: 02 March, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
You might be a cyclist if...

* You own more tights than a children's theater performing Peter Pan.
* Your wallet is clear, made of plastic and sports the designer label Ziplok.
* You've road tested a perfectly good relationship by bringing home a tandem. (Ah, baby you're always saying we need to spice things up.)
* You know that pain is just fear leaving your body, before it returns through your hamstrings.
* When styling professionals ask what product gets your hair to do that, you answer, "Helmet."
* You've served cocktails in water bottles. (Drink up, friends. This cheap vodka I'm pouring eats through charity ride plastic pretty fast.)
* Your spouse doesn't complain about the snoring since being kicked awake by the sleep pedaling.
* You yell into crowds exiting ballgames, shopping centers and concerts to "hold their line." They yell back that they've got something for you to hold.
* You've pedaled home balancing a case of bottled beer, two bags of tortilla chips, three avocados and a hostess snack pie on your handlebars.
* You own a killer set of "Arnold" quads and a pair of angel hair pasta thin arms. That ten year old boy called again. He wants his biceps back.
* You don't care that your biker's tan is so jarring that parents grab up their children when you enter the public pool.
* When your baby's first word was "bike," a light dimmed a little in your non-riding spouse's eyes.
* You ring that bell for legitimate safety reasons, but the joy it brings seeing morning dog walkers seize up and scatter like quail is a nice fringe benefit.
* You wanted to name your children Serrotta and Shimano, but compromised on the more traditional Trek and Breezer.
* You've heard the words "Just a friendly ride, no one gets dropped" while rapidly falling back in the pack.
* You've said the words "Just a friendly ride, no one gets dropped" while watching someone else rapidly fall back in the pack.
* You know every traffic light sequence in the tri-county area for stop free pedaling.
* Either it's a Brooks saddle or I will stand and pedal the whole way, thank you.
* You have eaten pasta directly out of your front bag, while pedaling.
* You believe there's a holy grail code of gear ratios to achieve effort free pedaling.
* You swear Da Vinci's lost notebook contains said holy grail combination code with detailed drawings... but the automotive wing of the Vatican
has been keeping it from the world these many years.
* You've considered what can still be accomplished in life while a broken collarbone heals.
* You've misplaced an hour of your life cursing, sweating and twisting a wrench, unaware that one of the pedals threads the opposite way. This is why bike shops were invented.
* Your loved ones have assigned a separate hamper for your dirty bike clothes, and placed a hazmat label on it.
* You've lost the company of your loved ones because you did not invest in a separate hamper for your dirty bike clothes with a hazmat label on it.
* You turn the air vents of your car to blow directly in your face, and imagine you're on a bike ride
* You've been involved in dealmaking with a higher power to get through a climb you know will last longer than a political campaign.
* Due to the plethora of bells, computers, gadgets and lights, there's no room left on your handlebars... for your hands.
* You can ID five brands and sixteen flavors of protein bars in a blind taste test, but on most long rides you would eat wet shoe leather, properly salted and containing a balance of electrolytes, of course.
* You've entertained quitting your job and moving back in with your folks to free up more time for riding. Pride and self esteem got nothing on shaved seconds and endorphins.
* When approaching a rider from behind, you've thought, "I will attack until your lungs cease to function properly, you collapse in the gutter and call out for your grandma's quilted afghan." Then offered a respectful nod as you blurred by.
* You've laughed, coasted by and cackled over your shoulder, "You Call That A Dog?"
* You've pedaled like hell, cried out in vain for a merciful god, and thought, "Now That's What I Call A Dog!" (or a rogue bear within the city limits)
* You've fallen asleep by counting sheep standing beside mile markers.
* It's a close call as to who owns more wool, you or the sheep.
* You throw your arms up and fist pump, Tour de France finishline style, every time you beat the dark yellowish light.
* You lift your butt off the car seat as you go over potholes, railroad tracks and speed bumps.
* You've contemplated grabbing seat posts, nudging longtime friends into ditches and macing their eyes with energy drinks to top the hill first.
* You can't pull a ninja anymore because the click of your shoes always gives you away.
* You've used your water bottle as drink holder, portable shower, squirt gun, doggy deterent and digging implement... on the same ride.
* You spend most of the winter dressed like a Cirque Du Soleil performer and you don't even speak French.
* You've washed off that chain ring grease "tattoo" on your calf so often that you went ahead and got a real one there.
* You keep on the look out for a custom made bike designed by the top-secret test tube off spring of Eddy Merck and Sasha White's DNA.
* You believe the rumor of a bike that was forged in a bell tower outside Rome using titanium blessed by the Pope and baptized with Lance's sweat.
* Like war vets carrying shrapnel under their skin, your souveniurs are pebbles and gravel housed around your elbows and knees.
* Only you know your afternoon commute is actually a second by second reenactment of Le Mond's come from behind victory of 1985.
* You think you may have contracted a rare blood disorder... no, it's just that you've turned into a late afternoon headwind.
* You live in fear that someone will sponsor a twelve step program for cycling addicts and you'll be the first one wrestled to the ground.
* You learned a long time ago that it doesn't matter how light or fast, just get on that bike.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Re: You might be a cyclist if ...
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:03:08 pm »
You realise that reading the above is taking too much riding time up!  :P

red marley

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »
I was standing shamelessly in Morrisons at lunchtime today in the "ladies' products" aisle contemplating the various merits of Veet wax strips, vs depilatory cream vs my normal razor.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »
I was standing shamelessly in Morrisons at lunchtime today in the "ladies' products" isle contemplating the various merits of Veet wax strips, vs depilatory cream vs my normal razor.

I'm so relieved to learn that I'm not the only one  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2009, 11:43:56 am »
If you find an own-brand that's any good, let my know.  The man-kelp on my back needs trimming again...

* You lift your butt off the car seat as you go over potholes, railroad tracks and speed bumps.

O:-)  No, no, never, not me...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2009, 07:03:37 am »
Maybe not

But when driving, I do scan the road ahead for small potholes - and move to avoid them.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2009, 05:23:29 pm »
...you volunteer to take a lorry to Doncaster early on a Sunday morning so that you can cycle back.
They think I'm mad but it's only 210km  ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »
...you point out potholes and drain covers to pedestrians behind you when you're walking along the pavement.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
You give arm signals when pushing a pram.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »
When your daughter's a baby and you live in a village with no street lights, you fit your Never Ready Wonderlight to the front of the pram for her evening walk.
(Buxton, Norfolk, 1986.  ;) )
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2010, 08:47:33 am »
Sorry about the deep thread mining, just thought of another one.

It's when non-cycling family members start to speak the lingo.

Yesterday my Mrs was bemoaning the fact that our Grandon had managed to get oil on his arm, courtey of my bike in the dining room.......she actually called it a 'chain tattoo'  O:-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:15:09 am »
...you haven't been able to walk, let alone run properly for 30 years because your feet are used to moving in perfect circles.

I am told I look as if I'm still cycling when I run.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:28:24 am »
You're driving down the motorway, when you realise that every time you overtake another car, your left hand comes up slightly off the steering wheel in a sort of flick wave acknowledgement.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »
* Your wallet is clear, made of plastic and sports the designer label Ziplok.

Heh.

I bought a Gill ripstop wallet (one of those nylon, trifold, velcro sealing ones) for Audaxing and I rarely ever remember to move everything back to my more 'normal' leather wallet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »
* You live in fear that someone will sponsor a twelve step program for cycling addicts and you'll be the first one wrestled to the ground.

Because:

• You hear someone had a crash and your first question is, "How's the bike?"
  • You have stopped even trying to explain to your other half why you need more than one bike...you just go buy another one and figure it will all work out in the divorce settlement.
  • You buy your crutches instead of renting.
  • You see nothing wrong with discussing the connection between hydration and urine color.
  • You find your Shimano touring shoes to be more comfortable and stylish than your new trainers.
  • You refuse to buy a settee because that patch of wall-space is taken up by the bike.
  • You have more money invested in your bike clothes than in the rest of your combined wardrobe.
  • You see a fit, tanned, Lycra-clad young thing ride by, and the first thing you check out is his or her bicycle.
  • You empathize with the roadkill.
  • Despite all that winter weight you put on, you'll take off weight by buying titanium components.
  • You use wax on your chain, but not on your legs (girls).
  • You use wax on your chain, AND on your legs (boys).
  • You have more bike jerseys than low-cut tops (girls).
  • You have more bike jerseys than work shirts (boys).
  • Your current bike is older than your grown up children.
  • Your bike has more miles on its computer then your car's odometer.
  • You wear your bike shorts swimming.
  • You buy a mini-van and immediately remove the rear seats to allow your bike(s) to fit.
  • When you move to a new area the first thing you look for is a bike shop.
  • You take your bike along when you shop for a car - just to make sure the bike will fit inside.
  • You view crashes as an opportunity to upgrade components.
  • You clean your bike(s) more often then your house. (Or Car!)
  • You put your bike in your car and the value of the total package increases by a factor of 4 (or better).
  • You can't seem to get to work by 8:30 AM, even for important meetings, but you don't have any problems at all meeting your mates at 5:30 AM for a hundred-miler.
  • You can tell your other half with a straight face that it's to hot to mow the lawn and then bike off for a hundred-miler.
  • You regard inter-gender discussion of your genital pain/size/shape/utility as normal.
  • You know your cadence, but you have no idea what your speed is.
  • When driving your car you lean over the steering wheel, just like an tri-bar extension.
  • Your car sits outside your garage because your garage is full of bikes and cycling gear.
  • Your surgeon tells you you need a heart valve replacement and you ask if you have a choice between Presta and Schraeder.
  • You wear your heart monitor to bed to make sure you stay within your target zone during any extracurricular activities.
  • You're too tired for hanky-panky on a Friday night but pump out a five-hour hundred-miler on Saturday.
  • You no longer require a hankie to blow your nose.
  • You smile at your evening date, and they politely point out that you seem to have bugs in your teeth.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
- Your cat/dog has chain oil on its coat.
- Your LBS is more likely to know where you are than your other half.

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2010, 04:35:55 pm »
Your other half has to check on YACF to see where you were going today :)

« Reply #17 on: 31 January, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »
* You turn the air vents of your car to blow directly in your face, and imagine you're on a bike ride

This must be from the USA, no one in the UK would have a list saying "You must be a cyclists if..." and then talk about "your car". :-\

(...except Basil !)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2010, 05:39:04 pm »
You give a running commentary of approaching potholes, manhole covers, novelty roadkill, etc. when being driven in someone's car.

(bonus points for doing this as a blind tandemist)

« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2010, 10:01:16 am »

ok, fess up. Who else does this?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 05 February, 2010, 08:36:08 pm »
* You've considered what can still be accomplished in life while a broken collarbone heals.
* You learned a long time ago that it doesn't matter how light or fast, just get on that bike.
Well, these two, yes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 06 February, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »
...your wife often finds a chain drying in the oven.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gordon taylor

« Reply #22 on: 06 February, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
...your wife often finds a chain drying in the oven.

Ah yes. Brake callipers in the dishwasher and tyres in the washing machine too?
It's a bugger when they come home early, isnt it?   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
On hearing a quiet, regular squeaking noise, you jump off and inspect likely mechanical components based on squeak frequency, before realising it's actually coming from your lungs.   :-\

Pass the Finish Line teflon lung lube inhaler...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »
You reach around to place your wallet in your jersey pocket, only to realise that you aren't wearing a cycling jersey.