Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469854 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2475 on: 28 December, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
I suspect a physio in my future   ::-)

Physioterrorism, such joy!

On the other hand, I think I prefer physios to surgeons as a rule ;)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2476 on: 28 December, 2018, 06:40:49 pm »

Good luck!
I'm seeing a (private) physio for the third time in as many years for an ongoing knee problem.

It seems my gammy knee is caused by my kneecap not tracking properly, caused my lack of muscle tone in my quads. Odd though  this lack of muscle tone despite walking 10miles plus a day...  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2477 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:54:01 pm »

Good luck!
I'm seeing a (private) physio for the third time in as many years for an ongoing knee problem.

It seems my gammy knee is caused by my kneecap not tracking properly, caused my lack of muscle tone in my quads. Odd though  this lack of muscle tone despite walking 10miles plus a day...  ???

Maltracking is often caused by relative weakness in vastus medialis, which is really only active when the knee is nearly or completely fully extended (straightened). This is why the exercises to manage this ('static quads') mostly involve a fully extended knee. The vastus lateralis in cyclists etc tends to be overdeveloped and pull the patella outwards.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2478 on: 29 December, 2018, 06:05:46 am »

Good luck!

Not necessarily lack of tone, more an imbalance as Helly says, this kind of think is not unusual when you have a soemthing that strengthens/works one muscle but not others that counter or balance equally
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2479 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:34:27 pm »
Patellofemoral maltracking is very common in young women and cyclists.

I am no longer young nor cycling so my knees are happeh...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2480 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
Cycling - particularly the darkside kind that works the quads - did wonders for my patellofemoral tracking.  I can walk short-medium distances without pain these days.  There were small muscle side-effects to cycling that required physioterrorism and voodoo biomechanics to resolve, mainly due to mismatched leg length.

« Reply #2481 on: 29 December, 2018, 07:00:45 pm »
I am getting a sharp pain in the knee and I can't push very hard with the right leg,  I am getting pain in the right thigh when walking especially just after getting up  . :'(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2482 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:08:55 am »
Lower left wisdom tooth has never erupted. Dentist spotted something on recent x ray that's baffled him. The tooth is gradually disappearing. He's sent me to the oral maxillo outpatients for them to have a look but that won't be until late February.

I've had a bit of a asearch but can't find anything on t'internet. Anyone had anything similar?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2483 on: 30 December, 2018, 01:47:42 pm »
My lower right never put in an appearance, though I don't think there was ever any sign of a tooth there on an x-ray.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2484 on: 30 December, 2018, 02:11:23 pm »
My lower right never put in an appearance, though I don't think there was ever any sign of a tooth there on an x-ray.

Neither my lower right 8 nor my lower right 5 put in appearance. That's just the way I was made. (The lack of chewing teeth in my right lower quadrant is a nuisance following decades of sometimes indifferent care.)

Resorption of a formed and unerupted tooth is another matter and Questions Need to be Answered.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2485 on: 30 December, 2018, 02:15:14 pm »

Neither my lower right 8 nor my lower right 5 put in appearance. That's just the way I was made. (The lack of chewing teeth in my right lower quadrant is a nuisance following decades of sometimes indifferent care.)

Yes.  Murphy dictates that it's my lower right 7 that's in the most perilous state...

Resorption of a formed and unerupted tooth is another matter and Questions Need to be Answered.

Indeed.

« Reply #2486 on: 30 December, 2018, 04:21:51 pm »

They do indeed. One that springs to mind is, 'is this anything to do with chewing tobacco when I was dahn t'pit in my youth?' Probably not - I think there would be some other symptoms - but it is a little niggling worry at the back of my mind.

BTW - 'Resorption of a formed and unerupted tooth' as a search term has given me much more useful results than my clumsy searches. Thanks.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #2487 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:44:53 pm »
There’s a child with its foot (or something) in my ribs. It will not move, I’ve tried everything. Very irritating, can’t sleep, can’t sit, can’t lie, can barely eat. I cannot shift this foot  :-\

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2488 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:56:25 pm »
There’s a child with its foot (or something) in my ribs. It will not move, I’ve tried everything. Very irritating, can’t sleep, can’t sit, can’t lie, can barely eat. I cannot shift this foot  :-\

Told you that you had to chew before you swallow, whole childrens feet can stick a bit.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2489 on: 04 January, 2019, 11:10:25 am »
My lower left 4 never erupted. It came out just enough to push out the baby tooth – when I was 19! – but then thought better of it and is still in there. Not really a problem as far as I and every dentist I've ever seen are concerned.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2490 on: 06 January, 2019, 02:34:03 pm »
In the shower after today's ride (ave 4°C, daft Mavic shoes have a ventilation grille under the toes) I thought I had cyanotic big toes, but when I got out they were just pink. Duh.  :-\
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2491 on: 10 January, 2019, 03:53:29 pm »
Had my annual Asthma Check earlier.  This usually happens in early October, well after the pollen has fucked off but before the lurgy season begins.  This time it happened straight after my annual nasty chest infection, with *hilarious* consequences.

In the interests of not wasting NHS resources, the nurse carefully manipulated the figures to stay below the "come back and see me" threshold, and sent me on my way with a promise of a "you know you're middle aged when..." checkup to look forward to next time.

Silly budgetary box-ticking exercise...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2492 on: 10 January, 2019, 03:54:51 pm »
Fucking tick-box 'medicine'!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2493 on: 10 January, 2019, 03:58:53 pm »

Quite.  If they were actually interested in monitoring my asthma, they'd need more than a 4 week sample at the same time every year.  There's no way of recording anything useful like "bad year for hayfever because all the pollen hit at once, but I've had good control of exercise-induced asthma".

Fortunately the nurse in question is old-school enough to have a sensible conversation about whether my drugs are working properly (which is what it should actually be about) rather than run through the checklist like it's gospel.

« Reply #2494 on: 10 January, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
Submit repeat prescription request last Wednesday. Appear yesterday at pharmacy for said prescription to be told "We've not done it yet, and we've got loads to do. Can you come back tomorrow evening?". FFS. How long does it take to get 3 boxes of 50s and 3 boxes of 25s, stick a sticker on each and stick them in a bag?  ::-)
Thankfully my daughter and I take the same pills, so she'll be taking mine until her prescription is sorted.

Also, psoas. Can you just start working again? Hurting when sitting down and when cycling and when driving is taking the proverbial.  >:(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2495 on: 10 January, 2019, 04:10:54 pm »
Every year I get a request to attend an annual diabetes review from my GP surgery.

Every year I ignore it on the basis that I have 6-monthly appointments in far more detail at teh hospital clinics.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2496 on: 10 January, 2019, 05:02:14 pm »
And now:

Quote from: SMS
NHS-NoReply:How likely are you to recommend Bournbrook Varsity Medical Centre to friends and family if they needed similar treatment? Send 1 for extremely likely, 2 for likely, 3 for neither likely nor unlikely, 4 for unlikely, 5 for extremely unlikely or 6 for don't know to 07800000199
bournbrookmjog@nhs.net 4:54 PM

:facepalm:

ETA: I'm wondering how many 'don't know' responses they get...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2497 on: 10 January, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
And now:

Quote from: SMS
NHS-NoReply:How likely are you to recommend Bournbrook Varsity Medical Centre to friends and family if they needed similar treatment? Send 1 for extremely likely, 2 for likely, 3 for neither likely nor unlikely, 4 for unlikely, 5 for extremely unlikely or 6 for don't know to 07800000199
bournbrookmjog@nhs.net 4:54 PM

:facepalm:
Fuckin spurious feedback!

[OT] I bought some shoehorns from Amazon and they wanted feedback.
They said I should tell to what use I'd put them.

Well, I did not attempt to pick my nose with them for some inexplicable reason!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2498 on: 10 January, 2019, 08:04:26 pm »
[OT] I bought some shoehorns from Amazon and they wanted feedback.
They said I should tell to what use I'd put them.

Well, I did not attempt to pick my nose with them for some inexplicable reason!
Mount them on your wall as a big game hunter's trophy. Well, they are horns!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2499 on: 15 January, 2019, 12:14:03 pm »
Yesterday the Mayor of Gdansk was stabbed to death on stage at a charity event in front of a live audience broadcast on TV. Obviously this has caused quite an uproar and a lot of attention has been paid to the attacker's apparent schizophrenia. Which makes it perhaps reassuring that the Minister of Health has appeared to defend mental health sufferers against the media attacks. He said in a TV interview "It's extremely important not to stigmatize people with mental health issues, schizophrenics, most of whom suffer a lot and are in need of our help, friendship and support."

Edit: He gave this interview after three other people had been arrested making Twitter appeals for more murders of politicians, and the Internal Affairs Minister said "Two were internet trolls [...]. The other was psychologically unstable."