Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463756 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2550 on: 03 February, 2019, 06:17:53 pm »
I've never really been able to gargle (and haven't touch the Corsodyl bottle that's lodged for aeons in the bathroom either).

The expiry date on this one was in 2014.  Given the side-effects, it's a weapon of last resort (just before going to the GP for antibiotics, or amputation at the neck).

« Reply #2551 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:41:54 pm »
Get well soon kim  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2552 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:50:00 am »
Bleurgh.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2553 on: 04 February, 2019, 02:28:26 pm »
Good luck.  Our GP opines that out-of-date medicaments cannot poison you, although that one seems to be making a fair attempt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2554 on: 04 February, 2019, 05:44:42 pm »
I think it's working.

The effect is indistinguishable from in-date chlorhexidine.  Weirdly, if you cover your entire mouth with it and painfully obliterate your tastebuds the overall effect is less unpleasant than if you dab a little on a mouth ulcer with a cotton bud or similar and carefully try to avoid tasting it (which never works).

« Reply #2555 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »
Corsodyl is disgusting but amazing.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it wouldn't do anything for the bumwee I've had since yesterday evening.  I'm down to the last loperamide in the strip...

« Reply #2556 on: 06 February, 2019, 06:50:22 pm »
The virtual fracture clinic has confirmed my icy fall last week (walking) has resulted in a hairline fracture in my wrist. 4-6 weeks in a splint, no driving, no cycling and no walking stick. Fortunately i can walk to one client office and get a bus to my base office but the walking will either make or break my hip.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2557 on: 06 February, 2019, 10:03:48 pm »
Ouch. I hope your hip is ok :)

Sorry this is a bit of a whinge.

I took Amoxicillin for the first time Friday before last after a (not fully successful :() wisdom tooth extraction. Since then I've had a spotty rash by the Sunday (stopped taking the drugs on chemist's advice and started taking lots of antihistamines), then full chicken pox style itchy welts all over my arms, torso and legs (now thankfully just about gone), and the last couple days swollen calves/ankles. the swelling seems to be subsiding now, so just have itchy, and slightly spotty, feet.

Itchy feet are nothing like the most serious of those, and I feel much better, but they are very annoying.

Apparently I'm allergic penicillin based meds - I really wish I'd found out in a less uncomfortable way.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2558 on: 06 February, 2019, 10:15:00 pm »
A rash with amoxicillin does not necessarily mean a penicillin allergy, though might do.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2559 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:00:53 am »
Apparently I'm allergic penicillin based meds - I really wish I'd found out in a less uncomfortable way.

My son has a very violent penicillin allergy. When he first had it he was 6 or 7: he had not only all the reactions you list but his joints stiffened up as well. Doc + meds dealt with it, but it was quite terrifying for a while.

Phil W

« Reply #2560 on: 07 February, 2019, 11:41:39 am »
Ouch. I hope your hip is ok :)

Sorry this is a bit of a whinge.

I took Amoxicillin for the first time Friday before last after a (not fully successful :() wisdom tooth extraction. Since then I've had a spotty rash by the Sunday (stopped taking the drugs on chemist's advice and started taking lots of antihistamines), then full chicken pox style itchy welts all over my arms, torso and legs (now thankfully just about gone), and the last couple days swollen calves/ankles. the swelling seems to be subsiding now, so just have itchy, and slightly spotty, feet.

Itchy feet are nothing like the most serious of those, and I feel much better, but they are very annoying.

I am also allergic, after being prescribed some by my dentists for a tooth abscess.  Symptons appeared whilst on holiday in Mallorca. First turned up on legs and just thought it was something I had brushed against whilst walking in the hils. Continued taking pills and it got worse. Went to medical centre, diagnosed, and given injections to combat.   Also warned about potential internal organ damage had I continued to take Amoxycillin.  When I got back I was perscribed a different set of antibiotics and made sure my GP knew about the reaction.

« Reply #2561 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:38:33 pm »
Full term pregnant

Tonsillitis

FML

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2562 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:22:19 pm »
Hope all goes well with birth pdq!

Tonsillitis worries me as streps can be really nasty to both baby and lady bits.

Make sure everyone who treats you knows you have tonsillitis, please!

I am not one for casual use of antibiotics but would seriously consider giving you penicillin or similar urgently.

I'm not an obstetrician though but feel you should get skilled medical advice.

GWS!

« Reply #2563 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:32:47 pm »
I’m allergic to penicillin, I’ve got a doc and midwife appointment first thing to try and sort this mess out though. I have not had one single day of illness in pregnancy until now. What good timing 🙈

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2564 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:36:19 pm »
Eeek!
Don't hesitate to get treatment sooner if you have a fever or feel rough.

GWS!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2565 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:41:41 am »
Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, El Prez had a runny nose on just one side and tingles in one hand so his GP gave him a bunch of quick CVA tests, happily negative. El Prez went home and started sneezing on both cylinders, is now groaning under a massive lurgi onslaught. Good GP.

« Reply #2566 on: 11 February, 2019, 02:19:42 pm »
Lower left wisdom tooth has never erupted. Dentist spotted something on recent x ray that's baffled him. The tooth is gradually disappearing. He's sent me to the oral maxillo outpatients for them to have a look but that won't be until late February.

I've had a bit of a asearch but can't find anything on t'internet. Anyone had anything similar?

Seen a consultant today after a spinny round the head type X-ray. Spontaneous resorption of an unerupted Wisdom tooth. It sometimes happens and in this case it isn't sinister.  :thumbsup:

He offered the option to extract what's left of the tooth but as that would seem to be a waste of resources and involve lots of pain I declined.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2567 on: 11 February, 2019, 04:01:40 pm »
Lower left wisdom tooth has never erupted. Dentist spotted something on recent x ray that's baffled him. The tooth is gradually disappearing. He's sent me to the oral maxillo outpatients for them to have a look but that won't be until late February.

I've had a bit of a asearch but can't find anything on t'internet. Anyone had anything similar?

Seen a consultant today after a spinny round the head type X-ray. Spontaneous resorption of an unerupted Wisdom tooth. It sometimes happens and in this case it isn't sinister.  :thumbsup:

He offered the option to extract what's left of the tooth but as that would seem to be a waste of resources and involve lots of pain I declined.

Excellent news!

« Reply #2568 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
Thanks hellymedic. It was a relief to find it wasn't serious.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #2569 on: 13 February, 2019, 11:42:41 am »
I had an appointment with the dental hygienist first thing this morning.
I had anaesthetic, sufficient to stun a bison, injected into my gums.
Only just starting to get feeling back in my face, I'm feeling peckish so I decided to have a banananana.
Against my still partially numb lips, the banana felt warm.
Very, very weird.

« Reply #2570 on: 13 February, 2019, 02:24:35 pm »
I had a phone call from Virtual Fracture clinic this morning

Nurse: "No fracture you can remove your splint and we will discharge you."
Me: "Really? I was told on first X-ray fractured Radius, then no fracture on first review possible scaphoid,  then after proper look at X-ray yes hairline fracture of radius, now you tell me no fracture"
Nurse: rereads notes, "follow up X-ray was to check scaphoid, no scaphoid fracture was found however please keep using the splint for the radius fracture"
Me: "Ok but I will be contacting PALs as it was my confidence that challenged your opening statement"

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2571 on: 13 February, 2019, 02:48:22 pm »
:O Keep your story straight folks! Sounds very confusing. Hope PALS can get it clear.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2572 on: 13 February, 2019, 03:00:28 pm »
Story seems quite clear to me.

Droid like phone call gets challenged by Patient with Working Brain.

Working Brain thinks Droid is Dangerously Incompetent and should contact PALS to Take Action.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2573 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:19:16 pm »
El Prez seems to have caught a tertian ague: felt like death on Saturday, better Monday, clobbered again last night to point where I told him to call the emergency services: chill & shivering typical of flu but his heart was dancing a tango as well and giving him a lot of pain. He didn't, and this morning he's feeling better but very weak, and waiting to see if it comes back again.

Anyone who's had this year's lurgi, is this typical?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2574 on: 14 February, 2019, 05:20:30 pm »
I had a phone call from Virtual Fracture clinic this morning

Nurse: "No fracture you can remove your splint and we will discharge you."
Me: "Really? I was told on first X-ray fractured Radius, then no fracture on first review possible scaphoid,  then after proper look at X-ray yes hairline fracture of radius, now you tell me no fracture"
Nurse: rereads notes, "follow up X-ray was to check scaphoid, no scaphoid fracture was found however please keep using the splint for the radius fracture"
Me: "Ok but I will be contacting PALs as it was my confidence that challenged your opening statement"

I had much the same, not West Suffolk is it?

Call back the day after the incident
"OK, so there's no fracture, just soft tissue damage"
"really? The A&E doctor showed me the x-ray yesterday and pointed out the chip of bone out of my pelvis, which explains why it [fucking] hurts"
"pelvis? No, I'm talking about your elbow"
"I know that's not fractured, I was shown that x-ray as well"
"Oh, OK"
"I'd like you send me a letter clearly detailing that my pelvis was in fact fractured thank you"

Next day I was called back to the actual fracture clinic and the letter duly arrived to negate the previous one that had arrived in the meantime stating no fracture.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens