Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888663 times)

alan

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1350 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »
I don't usually ride to Blackspotpool & back once a year but I could make an exception in your case & meet you there. 8)

« Reply #1351 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »
I don't usually ride to Blackspotpool & back once a year but I could make an exception in your case & meet you there. 8)

Days are getting shorter now so there and back in a day will be a tougher ride for me unless we do it before the clocks change, even then it doesn't give me much time there. I usually do it in the spring as a bridge between a 200 and the first 300km ride. I'd consider an overnighter though.

« Reply #1352 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »
I've been showing my parents my new house, and the delights (!) of Croydon, so today has been a spectacularly low mileage day, with about 1.5 miles of cycling to Sainsburys with the trailer to get essential food.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #1353 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:56:02 pm »
Yes, my 14.4 mile lunchtime loop.

I used the Orbit Road bike I just bought from Rogerzilla and obliterated my personal best time by minutes (tough to do over only 14 miles).  Very pleased indeed (although I realise it's the bike and not me).

Just obliterated my 27 mile route PB by 7 minutes on the Orbit.  Thanks again Rogerzilla, I'm really enjoying travelling so quickly.

I wasn't even trying too hard.  My neck hurt a bit at the end as the riding position is lower than I'm used to.

The most noticeable thing is that, although it is higher-geared than my tourers, the end of climbs appear so much more quickly that it's all over before my legs and lungs give out.

Can't imagine what a seriously high-end road bike must feel like.

« Reply #1354 on: 29 August, 2008, 12:05:48 am »
That's it Lee - we aren't left behind on Denmead rides because we are middle aged and lardy, it's just that everyone else has faster bikes  ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1355 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:17:52 am »
127 miles yesterday in very nice weather apart from the headwind.  I've got my cyclist's tan back.  :thumbsup:

I was supposed to be going from York, back home to Luton.

A combination of factors meant I had to bail out at Melton Mowbray at 4.30 pm and get the train back, as I still had another 80 miles to go.  First, I didn't leave until 8 am which was a bit too late bearing in mind I was allowing 12 hours including stops.  Then I ended up doing an extra 25 miles going round in circles due to the non existent and confusing road signs on the minor roads south of Snaith, and finally my bottom bracket had started to develop a funny clicking sound. 

In fact by the time I got home, it was producing about 3 clicks per revolution so I'll be busy in the garage today.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1356 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:58:16 am »
Not yet, but we're going shortly.

Train to Shenfield then a repeat of last summer's Christmas Ride. One difference: Mrs. Wow will be riding her Dawes Discovery 701!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #1357 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:10:14 am »
That's it Lee - we aren't left behind on Denmead rides because we are middle aged and lardy, it's just that everyone else has faster bikes  ;)

I honestly didn't think it would make such a difference.  I'd be even faster if I had STI levers because I'm a bit too lazy to change gear as much as I should using downtube levers. 

You have to remember though that I'd end up in traction if I attempted to ride a long Audax on it, it's definitely the quickest way to cycle to the Physiotherapist's treatment table.

I reckon I could put up with the posture for 100km though.

« Reply #1358 on: 29 August, 2008, 10:14:11 am »
Yep, 41 miles before anyone was awake !

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1359 on: 29 August, 2008, 06:26:12 pm »
Yep, 41 miles before anyone was awake !

Nonsense, GruB. I rolled over in bed at about ten to five and Mrs. Wow murmured "Go back to sleep. Only that silly sod GruB gets up to go for a bike ride at this time in the morning!"

Almost 48 miles involving tea, cake, fish and chips and beer. And a great rarity: Mrs. Wow on a solo machine. Pics here.

Oh, and four absolutely beautiful fallow deer, brightly coloured and with pure white spots.

alan

« Reply #1360 on: 30 August, 2008, 05:40:21 pm »
Did a few kilometres on the rollers on the patio.Shared the distance between the geared  Trek & fixed Langster.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1361 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
22 miles in the lovely sunshine and came home with a couple of pounds of blackberries.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1362 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:20:08 pm »
22 miles in the lovely sunshine on the Rockhopper and came home with a bulb of garlic and some organic ground cumin from Waitrose.

I also cycled a bit of Southend that I have never cycled before, from the Garrison, along the sea wall to the coastguard station. There're some impressive fortifications along there that I will explore in due course!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1363 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
Nope, I am ashamed to say that I am so knackered after my event in Zurich that I vegged about all day.  :-[

I really was knackered though. I must have been, as I didn't even manage to polish off the left-over Ben & Jerry's until an hour ago...

GillP

« Reply #1364 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:22:36 pm »
Approx 48 miles and achieved our aim to cycle round Beacon Fell, having cycled past it a couple of times, lovely cycling weather, a great cafe stop at Chipping and some undulations to keep the hills in our legs.

Fantastic day out  :D

« Reply #1365 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »
200km DIY Perm to make up for missing the Mildenhall 200 last week. Me and Warburton on our best bikes. Warm and humid. Flat route. 9h 4m

« Reply #1366 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:30:32 pm »
god, I love riding a bike.  30 miles on fixed in the sunshine :D :D :D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1367 on: 30 August, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »
Got dragged out by Mr P.

Thanks to him I had a glorious ride in the sun.

Bastard.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1368 on: 30 August, 2008, 07:55:44 pm »
And a trip to Waitrose. I just noticed that I have passed 6000 miles on the Thorn solo machine since I bought it on 22nd December 2006. I've changed one pair of brake blocks but am still running on the original chain.

Treewheeler

« Reply #1369 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:19:56 pm »
ARGH! West Marden, Sussex.
 I went out on me Tricross for a downland thrash when the Battle of Britain flight roared over head at low level and me without a camera too.
 Aside for having a huge welling of nostalgia and a massive erection caused by the throbbing of all those WW2 engines, I nearly joined up there and then to fight the Bosch ;)

« Reply #1370 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:39:26 pm »
22 miles in the lovely sunshine and came home with a couple of pounds of blackberries.
25 miles early on my own, then a nice ride along the Trent for a couple of miles with the family, and a couple of pounds of blackberries for us too.
A short sprint for custard,  and crumble(d)  on the patio, lovely.

« Reply #1371 on: 30 August, 2008, 09:27:36 pm »
Chugged out on a getting lost ride. From Ealing out through Chiswick, then found myself heading towards Richmond. Got onto that horrible Thames path somehow — nervous looking persons on bikes wobbling at walking pace and dutifully wearing their helmets. Over the locks at Teddington, then Hampton Court and back past Feltham Young Offenders. Stopped for sustenance in a grim part of somewhere. Through Colnbrook, on to the A4 past the airport, then left to Norwood, past Osterley and home through Hanwell.

Hot and humid, it was.

border-rider

« Reply #1372 on: 30 August, 2008, 09:32:46 pm »
I nearly joined up there and then to fight the Bosch ;)

Black & Decker strimmer man then ?

Chris S

« Reply #1373 on: 30 August, 2008, 09:38:47 pm »
Twice  :thumbsup:.

First time - I did an 80km loop round the edge of the Stanford Battle Area. On Fixed! (Well, it was flatter than a recently ironed flat thing).

Second time - Mrs S and I did a short 8km ish loop on the Tandem - popping in on some friends in the next village on the way back. Came home in the dark which was another first for tandemming. Verdict - we are both enjoying it a lot.

« Reply #1374 on: 30 August, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
86 miles from home in Leeds to Ampleforth and back.  Out via Boston Spa, Cattal, Aldwark and Easingwold, and back via Byland Abbey, Coxwold and Helperby to Aldwark and then more or less the outward journey in reverse.  Not much sun, but quite warm in spite of a fresh south easterly breeze.