Author Topic: RATN 2020  (Read 23795 times)

Re: RATN 2020
« Reply #50 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:01:32 pm »
The place I ate in Lauwersoog is not longer showing as a business on Google maps. I don't know if that's google being pants, or if they have since shut.

One of the restaurants in Lauwersoog burned down last summer. Maybe that explains it?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »
One of the restaurants in Lauwersoog burned down last summer. Maybe that explains it?

Is it the one by the harbour next to the traffic lights to the main road?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #52 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:08:20 pm »
On the livestock excrement issue: Is it possible to develop a resistancy against this? I live "up North" (in the Netherlands) and the roads here are typically covered in cow and sheep deposits. Riders around here don't have issues with contaminations, even when cycling on rainy days without mudguards.

Yes. There's nothing particularly untowards about animal excrement per-se, it's the bacteria in it, which, being ruminants, there's a lot of. If your gut biome reflects theirs, you wont be overwhelmed. You'll be vaccinated by low dose from childhood onwards.

So you could still have issues when you ride outside of familiar territory, where the bacteria are different. Was it mostly foreign participants who suffered at PBP '07 and RAtN '19?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:09:36 pm »

So you could still have issues when you ride outside of familiar territory, where the bacteria are different. Was it mostly foreign participants who suffered at PBP '07 and RAtN '19?

Most notable victim on RatN is a Brit.

J
--

« Reply #54 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:12:10 pm »

Is it the one by the harbour next to the traffic lights to the main road?

J

If by traffic lights you mean the lights warning you that the bridge is open, then yes.

(That's enough posting from me in this topic for today...)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #55 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:18:52 pm »
--

Chris S

« Reply #56 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:48:36 pm »
I have no cycling qualifications for commenting on this thread, other than to say fboab is much more tolerant of drinking from a bespattered bidon than me.

My view is - having mudguards would have ZERO bearing on whether I finish (a) at all, or (b) in time, from an aerodynamic POV, but might just save me from gastric distress that would prevent (b) and quite possibly (a) from a bacterial POV.

Sure - horses, cows and sheep are all vegetarians, but if the road is covered in their shit - it's still shit, and I don't want it on my water bottles thank you very much.

« Reply #57 on: 12 February, 2020, 06:28:55 am »

rob

« Reply #58 on: 12 February, 2020, 11:25:50 am »
On the livestock excrement issue: Is it possible to develop a resistancy against this? I live "up North" (in the Netherlands) and the roads here are typically covered in cow and sheep deposits. Riders around here don't have issues with contaminations, even when cycling on rainy days without mudguards.

Yes. There's nothing particularly untowards about animal excrement per-se, it's the bacteria in it, which, being ruminants, there's a lot of. If your gut biome reflects theirs, you wont be overwhelmed. You'll be vaccinated by low dose from childhood onwards.

Amazing what you learn on here.   This is something I haven't really thought about before, but gives me something else to ruminate on when unable to sleep in the run up to the event.

rob

« Reply #59 on: 12 March, 2020, 11:43:20 am »
I raised the question about cancellation on the Facebook group the other day.   At the moment it's intended that the race goes ahead, but I can't say I hold out a lot of hope.

I have paid for ferries on a non-refundable rate, but not booked anything else yet.   I may have to re-plan the rest of the year.

« Reply #60 on: 12 March, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »
I raised the question about cancellation on the Facebook group the other day.   At the moment it's intended that the race goes ahead, but I can't say I hold out a lot of hope.

I have paid for ferries on a non-refundable rate, but not booked anything else yet.   I may have to re-plan the rest of the year.

Same here, my ferry is non-refundable & I've avoided booking anything else such as a hotel the night before or my yellow jersey insurance.  If either country closes borders I'll try to claim on generic travel insurance we get from work, but don't hold out much hope:

"We will consider each claim on a claim made basis and therefore would need to see consider the evidence in support of the reason for the cancellation.
I am unable at this stage to confirm if the policy will be triggered without the evidence of a claim"

Other than that, I've bought a ton of bike packing bags/bivy gear etc that'll get use on other rides, and I'm fitter than usual at this time of year :)

My assumption now is that it's unlikely to go ahead, and even if it does it's pretty likely my Wife will veto it given how much this sort of thing worries her & how likely it is that the kids will be at home instead of school.. :(

rob

« Reply #61 on: 12 March, 2020, 12:29:32 pm »
I was looking at the Audax calendar yesterday and there's other things I can do.   Deano's 1000 is full, though.

My bike is ready but I haven't put the new wheels on yet, preferring to wait for better weather.   I, too, need new bags.   I'm fit enough but need some more long rides I my legs.   At the rate things are going we'll need to move house early April.   This year is not quite working out as was intended.

« Reply #62 on: 12 March, 2020, 12:45:30 pm »
I, too, need new bags.   

Commiserations to all who have entered this.  Where we are now, I would assume it will be off. 

But if it is on, I would advise getting things like bags early.  Luggage needs a shakedown to see if it works for you.  Often the first bags you get don't work well and you end up having to try other setups, which then need trying out, and so on.  I've just about got my bags sorted out now after a few years of experiments, but I've got two big boxes in the gargage full of rejected bag options!

rob

« Reply #63 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:18:59 pm »
I, too, need new bags.   

Commiserations to all who have entered this.  Where we are now, I would assume it will be off. 

But if it is on, I would advise getting things like bags early.  Luggage needs a shakedown to see if it works for you.  Often the first bags you get don't work well and you end up having to try other setups, which then need trying out, and so on.  I've just about got my bags sorted out now after a few years of experiments, but I've got two big boxes in the gargage full of rejected bag options!

I have been very happy with Apidura saddlepack.   I was just going to get the next size up along with a small bar-bag.   The rest is tried and tested.

I suspect this won't be wasted as I have another event planned for early July.   The planned break from work may well have to wait as I might as well get paid if I can't travel.

LMT

« Reply #64 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:32:44 pm »
Do the ride either way.

rob

« Reply #65 on: 12 March, 2020, 02:52:09 pm »
Do the ride either way.

Yeah there's a possibility of turning it into a DIY.   Not sure it would be the same knowing other people aren't taking part - plus I have no idea how my employers would feel.

I'm more likely to go to greater efforts if it's an organised event.   I'd rather save my precious annual leave for later in the year.

« Reply #66 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:28:36 pm »

I have been very happy with Apidura saddlepack.   I was just going to get the next size up along with a small bar-bag.   The rest is tried and tested.

If you want a couple of options to consider along with a big Apidura, I'd suggest Arkel and Tailfin would be worth thinking about:
https://www.arkel-od.com/seatpacker-15-bikepacking-seat-bag/
https://www.tailfin.cc/product/pannier-trunk-bags/aeropack-trunk-top-bag/

Reasons being:

Saddlebags don't always scale up well.  The Arkel one - which I have - has an aluminium frame so it will never sway and is easier to access while attached to the bike than ones that rely solely on having tension to keep their shape.

Tail bags like the Tailfin are a good option on small frames as the bag will be sheltered behind your body (Francis Cade video showed he saved a couple of watts with a Tailfin vs without it). On large frames they will probably be too low.  Big saddlebags are better on large frames as they can have wheel clearance issues on smaller ones. 

« Reply #67 on: 12 March, 2020, 03:50:18 pm »
I have started using the Tailfin Aeropack X for bikepacking. My primary need was additional storage space to quickly store food. The Tailfin meets this need really well, as the rolltop can be extended upwards to accommodate the food.

It is also very stable on the bike, and quick to remove and reattach.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #68 on: 12 March, 2020, 05:27:49 pm »
Interesting.  I like the idea of the Tailfin but the roll-top puts me off as I feel it is overkill.  I'd rather risk having a bit of water through a zip than lose accessibility - but I like the side zip that they have. 

I'll most likely stick with my Arkel for the moment as it works well in most respects and I can easily carry an additional 1 litre bottle on top of it. 

« Reply #69 on: 12 March, 2020, 06:32:10 pm »
The roll top aids the expansion, although I see the Arkel has adjustable straps for this purpose. I do try to leave space in the frame bag and front bag for items that I might generally need access to. The Tailfin is certainly better than my previous approach of tying food in a dry bag atop a seat pack. That was time consuming, would get in the way when needing to access the seat pack, and if carrying heavier items it could slip down and start touching the wheel, requiring further time to reattach.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

rob

« Reply #70 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:08:08 pm »
Work guidelines coming into effect today now have a requirement to self isolate for 14 days on return from any trip from Europe.   So, if the event goes ahead and I ride, I’d then need to quarantine myself and work from home when I get back.

Phil W

« Reply #71 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:19:50 pm »
I don’t think you’ll be at any more risk in Europe than here. We haven’t been testing those with all the symptoms unless they also have travel connections to known hot spots. So I think it’s way under represented (in terms of numbers) here in the UK.

rob

« Reply #72 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »
I don’t think you’ll be at any more risk in Europe than here. We haven’t been testing those with all the symptoms unless they also have travel connections to known hot spots. So I think it’s way under represented (in terms of numbers) here in the UK.

Yebbut I work for Americans.  Rules is rules.

So, event takes place and I ride, but this means I have to wfh and I’m confined to the turbo for 14 days.  That or turn my Strava off for a couple of weeks  :demon:.

rob

« Reply #73 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:10:08 pm »
Decision being taken 7th April.

I’ve largely jacked in training, but I have a lot of shit going on at the moment. 

LMT

« Reply #74 on: 19 March, 2020, 10:02:33 pm »
Decision being taken 7th April.

I’ve largely jacked in training, but I have a lot of shit going on at the moment.

The Dutch GP which is on that weekend and the route goes past it has been postponed, hope for the best - prepare for the worst.