Author Topic: TDF 2023  (Read 26766 times)

Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #100 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:25:02 pm »
Do the panel think he’ll actually get the record or is it already beyond his grasp?
My heart says yes, my brane says non.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #101 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:51:48 pm »
Jeez, the final km today looked more like a game of skittles than a cycling race.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #102 on: 04 July, 2023, 05:08:57 pm »
The really exciting finish we were all hoping given the wide open space they had to play with, was somewhat kyboshed by that pinch;pint as they entered the car racing circuit. Sometimes I think the setters of these courses take their head-branes out when they look for exciting places for finishing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #103 on: 04 July, 2023, 08:30:47 pm »
They were still 30 km out when TV's D Millar stated it was going to be a nice safe sprint today once they'd actually got onto the circuit.  He's currently hiding from Fabio Jakobsen.

Edit: Guarnieri out with a b0rked collarbone and LL Sanchez (93) hauled off to hospital for checks.  The latter potentially bad news for Cav.

Edit 2: Astana's Twitter says Sanchez (93) out for the same reason.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #104 on: 04 July, 2023, 10:50:28 pm »
Stupid Humax didn't record yesterday's or today's highlights programs. Fortunately we caught up with the stv repeat today and the 2nd half of the live highlights.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #105 on: 05 July, 2023, 02:11:18 am »
Stupid Humax didn't record yesterday's or today's highlights programs. Fortunately we caught up with the stv repeat today and the 2nd half of the live highlights.

The HDD in my human is borken and has been for over a year, so it no longer records. I could fix it myself for about £45, but I use the record feature so rarely because streamed catch up tv is so good these days (including itv4)

« Reply #106 on: 05 July, 2023, 08:17:28 am »

The HDD in my human is borken and has been for over a year, so it no longer records. I could fix it myself for about £45, but I use the record feature so rarely because streamed catch up tv is so good these days (including itv4)

This is true, but we still record because we can FF though the shitverts, which we cannot do on catch-up as a result of us not paying to avoid them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #107 on: 05 July, 2023, 08:30:08 am »
Fair point, and the ads during itv4 TdF coverage seem to be particularly gruelling

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #108 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:24:47 am »
If I called every number in the shitverts calling me to donate, either directly or via a lottery, I’d have no money left to invest in funeral services!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #109 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:36:43 am »

Why do people complain about the adverts, but also aren't willing to pay money to avoid them. You all clearly want to watch the racing. You can spend £40 a year for GCN+ and watch everything. Or I think there's a monthly £6.99 from discovery that avoids ads too.

I know not everyone can afford it. But surely some of you could actually avoid the ads and just enjoy the cycling?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #110 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:56:12 am »
Also, be careful what you wish for - get rid of the adverts and you give the colemantators even more air time to fill…

« Reply #111 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:59:51 am »
Also, be careful what you wish for - get rid of the adverts and you give the colemantators even more air time to fill…
I pay for Discovery, but I've been watching an illegal Eurosport stream just to have a break from Carlton Kirby.

citoyen

« Reply #112 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:12:16 pm »
I've been known to do the thing of hopping between ITV and ES to avoid the ads but the bastards seem to have got wise to this and now time their ad breaks to coincide.

At least, I'm assuming it's deliberate - it happens too often to be a coincidence.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #113 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:34:52 pm »
Well ITV4, mute button, making cups of tea, looking for snacks, bio breaks along with twitter/mastodon is a brilliant combo in this household.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #114 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:49:40 pm »
Record, catch up over the course of the afternoon while skipping the shitverts.  When caught up, do wot Mr Pigs does.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #115 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:53:30 pm »
*puzzled*

How do you watch this thing live?

I've found ITV4 but it doesn't seem to be on.

*goes shopping*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #116 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:56:42 pm »
Turn your tellybox over to the other side. Or clicky this link https://www.itv.com/watch and follow the steps. It's on ITV4 later on today
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

« Reply #117 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:04:15 pm »

Coverage starts at 2pm

« Reply #118 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:07:05 pm »
Wild start

Am I the only one who likes the bonkers Euro adverts? It's always been a part of watching bike racing for me

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #119 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:11:02 pm »

Coverage starts at 2pm

Full live coverage of the whole stage only at weekends chiz.  I think it’s got something to do with a quota system involving repeats of “River Monsters”.

citoyen

« Reply #120 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:45:55 pm »

Coverage starts at 2pm

Full live coverage of the whole stage only at weekends chiz.  I think it’s got something to do with a quota system involving repeats of “River Monsters”.

They're just approaching the foot of the Col de Soudet so coverage should start at about the same time as the fireworks.

WVA is a little way up the road, so I wonder if that means JV is going to try something on the climb...

« Reply #121 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:51:33 pm »
WVA, Benoot AND Laporte.

« Reply #122 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:55:29 pm »

Why do people complain about the adverts, but also aren't willing to pay money to avoid them. You all clearly want to watch the racing. You can spend £40 a year for GCN+ and watch everything. Or I think there's a monthly £6.99 from discovery that avoids ads too.

I know not everyone can afford it. But surely some of you could actually avoid the ads and just enjoy the cycling?

J

If I were able and wishing to watch full live coverage/replay I might, but I'm not, I just watch the highlights.  And it's £6.99 for each of the services that carry ads, which adds up.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #123 on: 05 July, 2023, 02:00:13 pm »

If I were able and wishing to watch full live coverage/replay I might, but I'm not, I just watch the highlights.  And it's £6.99 for each of the services that carry ads, which adds up.

Surely you only need to pay once to watch the race?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #124 on: 05 July, 2023, 02:02:24 pm »
WVA, Benoot AND Laporte.

Interesting! It was just WVA but Benoot and Laporte are in a 2nd chasing group.

This is going to be fun...

This first climb is probably too far out to have an impact on the stage result but there are bonus seconds at stake.