Author Topic: R.I.P. Larry Tesler. R.I.P. Larry Tesler.  (Read 985 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
R.I.P. Larry Tesler. R.I.P. Larry Tesler.
« on: 20 February, 2020, 08:11:02 am »
The inventor of cut & paste has died.
The inventor of cut & paste has died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51567695
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: R.I.P. Larry Tesler. R.I.P. Larry Tesler.
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:21:19 am »
I may be pedantic but surely the concepts of cut and paste come from olde worlde publishing using paper, scissors and glue. All he did as to translate these into computer actions.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

ian

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:25:38 am »
My first ever job was cutting out pieces of text and pasting them to another piece to make CRC (camera-ready copy). The headings were added with Letraset. We had to kern by hand.

German bombers droned overhead, of course, and Victoria sat on the throne. Oh, wait, it was 1999. Old skills, like the dead, can be resurrected through the application of the appropriate rituals and suitable sacrifices.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:27:58 am »
Copy.
Copy.

::-)

ian

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:34:01 am »
You photocopied the original and then cut it up.

I found myself staring at an actual photocopier aboard the mothership the other way. I honestly had no idea how to make it work. I expected David Attenborough narration and here, we find the ancient beast at home in its natural environment...

It is quite a modern one. Festooned with buttons and bristling with paper trays.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2020, 09:42:00 am »
The first paper I did work for had a typesetting machine that spewed out ribbons of text. These were cut up and stuck on pages marked with fine blue lines. The machine operator was highly skilled. When I first did this on a Sinclair Spectrum four years later it was a revelation.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2020, 10:34:38 am »
I may be pedantic but surely the concepts of cut and paste come from olde worlde publishing using paper, scissors and glue. All he did as to translate these into computer actions.

Which was so obvious no one else had thought to do it before ....

In retrospect many things seem simple.

He also hated modal software. Probably an Emacs rather than a Vi user then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2020, 11:00:29 am »
Wordstar was the first place I saw cut'n'pastry. It predated Jobs' fruit machines by a few years - although maybe Apple were the first to put it at OS level.

And hah! :

Clipboards as buffers for small text snippets were first used by Pentti Kanerva when he used it to store deleted texts in order to restore them.[4] Since one could delete a text in one place and restore it in another, the term "delete" wasn't what one would expect in this case. Larry Tesler renamed this in 1973 as cut, copy, and paste and coined the term "clipboard" for this buffer, since these techniques need a clipboard for temporary saving the copied or cut data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipboard_(computing)

Flying on borrowed wings?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight