Author Topic: Garden Composter; Mass worm extinction... Why?  (Read 2195 times)

Garden Composter; Mass worm extinction... Why?
« on: 03 May, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »
Not being much of a gardener, I have taken some pride in keeping a pretty excellent garden composter going for about 5 years or so.  Grass cuttings and kitchen veg/fruit trimmings.  I've used the resulting compost in pots hanging baskets and this year dug a load into my 3 m2 veg patch.

Now this wonderful bin of decomposing lovliness has been home for millions of worms... every time I add more material,  I give the fermenting mass a stir and delight in the wormy wriggliness.  About a week ago, there were zillions on top of the compost, up the sides and spilling out of the lid.  I didn't thjink much about it, gave the mass a stir, shook the blighters from the lid and carried on. Now 2 days ago I lifted the lid to an unpleasant rancid butcher-shop smell and noticed a huge dead mass of worms on the lid and the surface of the compost covered in dead worms.  I've given a stir and they're 99.9% dead throughout.  All very nasty and a tad sad.
Anybody know why?  No chemicals, no weed killer etc used on the lawn.
No idea.
I miss my worms  :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Garden Composter; Mass worm extinction... Why?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:21:05 pm »
Your brandlings are no more, which is sad.

I can only think that something went in in the last batch of vegetation that they didn't like. I understand that huge wodges of grass cuttings with nothing else makes everything anerobic and unpleasant, although if the grass cuttings are mixed with newspaper then it's OK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:51:22 pm »
Wowbagger, I fear you are correct.  For they are brandlings and the smell of late has been more alcoholic (from the fruit and potato peelings) with a waft of silage from the lactic fermenting grass.
I guess I have been lucky over the years.
Must keep stirring more I think.

Cheers FF.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:59:23 pm »
Mix well with shredded junk mail.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2008, 07:23:51 am »
Grass is good for some things though; the heap that has been dormant since autumn had a few too many dead leaves in there, which weren't rotting.  A few grass cuttings stirred later and it's literally steaming, even in the current hot weather.

The current main bin was attracting a colossal number of flies, and likewise the heat from the grass has driven them all away.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.