Author Topic: Starting a Privet Hedge  (Read 4291 times)

Starting a Privet Hedge
« on: 02 June, 2008, 01:05:30 pm »
To continue the privet hedge we already have, we bought some 'whips' - little privet plants, thinned these out, and planted them in a zig-zag line.  This was about this time last year.  After a year, they're doing rather well and vigorously sprouting. :)

The thing is, we heard that you should cut them off to about a foot in length :o, so that they sprout even more vigorously and get on with making themselves into a hedge.  Is this true?  If so, when would be a good time to do this?  What's the view of the Gardeners' Question Time panel? :-\

Re: Starting a Privet Hedge
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:16:04 pm »
Removing the growing tip of the bush will encourage side shoots. The earlier, or lower you remove the tip the lower the branches will start. Low spreading branches is a desirable feature in a hedge.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:17:22 pm »
We've recently removed a privet hedge and put a fence in its place.

Bloody 'orrible stuff, privet. Our garden has quite a lot more useable space as a result.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:18:01 pm »
Thanks, Ian.  Any tips on when would be the best time to do this?  I've heard tell that you should leave well alone in the first year, then get savage in March.  Make sense?

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »
I like privet, Wowbagger!  Nice stuff to trim... reminds me of the skills I learned watching my late Dad. ;)

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »
I like privet, Wowbagger!  Nice stuff to trim... reminds me of the skills I learned watching my late Dad. ;)

I can understand disliking a tall hedge of unrelieved dark green - tall ones take up more width as well - especially if you are on the shaded side of it. But privet comes in variegated varieties as well, through to almost pure yellow leaves.

Thanks, Ian.  Any tips on when would be the best time to do this?  I've heard tell that you should leave well alone in the first year, then get savage in March.  Make sense?

Privet doesn't seem to mind being cut at any time of year. Yes, it's probably as well to let it establish before its education begins. It will also regenerate from bare wood, so an old, overgrown privet can be savagely hacked and will grow again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 05:46:31 pm »
Ours was variegated but one of the bushed died. It was a pain to keep trimmed and had a tendency to block the pavement outside, conspiring as it did with an even nastier robinia pseudoacacia street tree to attack the wide-eyed and innocent drunks who tended to swear volubly at their misfortunes at about 2 o'clock each Saturday and Sunday morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:21:12 pm »
Ours was variegated but one of the bushed died.

That is one thing that happens sometimes. I don't know what the cause is. My parents' front hedge of at least 40 summers growth decided to die one bush at a time. A few grew back. Strangely, although the original was plain green, the regrowth was variegated and largely yellow.

Personally I'd go for yew or box depending on situation and height required.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:31:19 pm »
Quickthorn is pretty impressive if well-trimmed.  It will also deter any intruder except the hardened psycho pumped full of PCP.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:39:23 pm »
Agree with Wowbagger. I much prefer slow growing box - I just love the smell
Where have all the hedges gone ?