Author Topic: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race  (Read 26674 times)

Re: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race
« Reply #25 on: 08 October, 2017, 03:13:07 am »
I confess I didn't think their statements about cycle racing, as noted above, inspired confidence.

The implication of their cancellation piece - that they hadn't realised insurance would be a good ideanecessary, and couldn't be arsed dealing with it (or perhaps couldn't find an appropriate policy easily) - doesn't exactly change my mind.

« Reply #26 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:06:46 am »
Spot on.  Anco de Jong had 2 hours on LEL.  I suppose it could be argued that he knows his capabilities and is very experienced but it's interesting to wonder how he gained that experience!  I'm really uneasy about sleep deprivation being spoken about in ride reports as if it was something we should get used to.  I suffer from sleep deprivation in normal life, never mind on events -but hallucinations?  No, that's just too much silliness.  I'd really like to have done LEL so I suppose I should be grateful that fate has thus far prevented this.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:41:50 am »
The blurb on that ride was concerning - 100 miles of off-road? If the riders were supposed to have bikes that could deal with that then they are going to struggle with getting round 5,000km so fast.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 08 November, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
If an organiser wants to put on a race of this kind and if riders want to ride it, then it seems there ought to be no impediment to it. Clearly it isn't for everyone, but there are those who like to challenge themselves for whatever their own special interests are, whether climbing mountains, diving deep into the oceans, sailing or whatever floats their boats. If you are a cyclist looking for a challenge, the usual TT's etc don't fit the bill. Is it dangerous, does the event give other riders on public roads a bad name, is it lawful? All good questions, but living is dangerous with a 100% mortality rate and yet still humans go on doing it over and over again.

As long as the risks are known, I see no problem. Thousands are killed on the roads by cars and lorries every year, but driving goes on and no one is suggesting stopping it.

« Reply #29 on: 08 November, 2017, 06:00:39 pm »
Yes.

...but, unfortunately, a lot of people would probably be eager to suggest stopping road cycling.

« Reply #30 on: 08 November, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
Yes.

...but, unfortunately, a lot of people would probably be eager to suggest stopping road cycling.

And running an illegal ( cycle racing on the highway legislation),uninsured event with no risk assessment will give those who want to ban alll events on the highways every evidence they need.
To repeat myself, many have worked very hard to get to where we are now - from a situation where ALL events were illegal. We really don’t need maverick “ events” taking us back in time!

« Reply #31 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »
Why do you say it is 'illegal' and why do you call it maverick? Do you actually understand the event?

« Reply #32 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »
Why do you say it is 'illegal' and why do you call it maverick? Do you actually understand the event?

Here's a starter: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/road-racing-in-england.html?m=1

I reckon GP understands it pretty well. There's a reason the TCR doesn't include the UK.

« Reply #33 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
Just looked. Event cancelled over legal and insurance issues.

« Reply #34 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »

Here's a starter: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/road-racing-in-england.html?m=1

I reckon GP understands it pretty well. There's a reason the TCR doesn't include the UK.

You could summarise rather than taking the route of requiring the reader to scroll and scroll. Just saying. Sorry, didn't take the time to read all the posts on that thread to find out your meaning.

« Reply #35 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »
Fair enough. Your loss.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:34:45 pm »
The link is a blogpost, not a thread, that explains the legal situation regarding cycle road racing in the UK quite well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #37 on: 08 November, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »

You could summarise rather than taking the route of requiring the reader to scroll and scroll. Just saying. Sorry, didn't take the time to read all the posts on that thread to find out your meaning.

Master, may I respectfully suggest that you read most, if not all posts on a thread before replying to it.

Furthermore asking a poster to summarise something else just for you is not excellent behaviour. Please read the forum rules, you may not have seen them yet.

« Reply #38 on: 08 November, 2017, 11:40:33 pm »
"Master, may I respectfully suggest that you read most, if not all posts on a thread before replying to it."

Rude you are you obsolete piece of tin. Remember, you can be dismantled and sold for scrap, you ridiculous droid.   

« Reply #39 on: 09 November, 2017, 06:06:13 am »
And with a few key presses you can cease to have ever existed...

;)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #40 on: 21 January, 2018, 11:47:26 am »

Shame  :(
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »

Indeed, and it raises - if somewhat hypothetical given the legal constraints in the UK - a reasonable point that if anyone wants to take the risk - any risk , should they be 'allowed' to do so?

There are a number of cycling racing events (as an example of risky sports) on the global calendar requiring a rider to ride well into the night on less than optimum sleep over busy traffic roads for an extended number of hours. 24 Hour races come into that category as do RAAM, The Transcontinental - one death in 2017, Trans Am, Indian Pacific - one death in 2017, LEL and the inaugural Texas Overland Wheel Race this year.

Clearly, insurance and legal considerations or barriers cannot be overcome, but what if there were no such restrictions, should a person undertaking any kind of risky endeavour fully aware of the risks to life and limb in participating be allowed to do so, or should other social considerations or constraints be allowed to be paramount?

There is much discussion going on at this time concerning alpine sports - particularly in the Olympics - and the increasing number of fatalities associated with that with one side contending that athletes recognise the risks and in the search for faster times or longer jumps or whatever it is and do not want any restrictions saying that the risks define the sport and on the other, there are those who say the risk is too great even if the individual accepts and indeed welcomes the risk.

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #42 on: 26 January, 2018, 11:16:20 am »

Indeed, and it raises - if somewhat hypothetical given the legal constraints in the UK - a reasonable point that if anyone wants to take the risk - any risk , should they be 'allowed' to do so?

They manage to do so in other countries ;)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #43 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »
I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't possible. The wording put on the website basically suggested the organiser couldn't be bothered to deal with insurance companies. Perhaps he called a few and was told no. Perhaps he wasn't talking to the right person or the right insurance company.

The first one or two TCRs started in London. I don't know what Mike Hall's reasons for moving to the continent were, perhaps the ferries made for too much of a lottery, perhaps starting at a famous cycling location in Europe added more razzmatazz to the race, or possibly it was too difficult to organise through legal and insurance channels. He did organise that event in Wales the other year (I forget it's name) that was a smaller version of an ultracycling event. We all know Audaxes are an ultracycling event but the moment you add the word 'race' to something those who don't wish to understand more get jumpy.

There was a lot of 'perhaps' in those two paragraphs, I've never tried to run a bike race but I compete and organise in rallying, a dangerous sport in which we have to deal with insurance companies and abide by the laws of the road and this country. Insurance companies usually don't say no, they usually say how much. It's not always a case of them not being prepared to take the risk it's often more likely the cost to the organiser and therefore the competitors entry fee makes it untenable.

With the right backing, support from the right people most things are possible but it can take an awful lot of personal investment, time and money.

Mike Hall was fortunate in that the TCR was strong enough he could make it full time but he'd worked bloody hard to get to that point along with riding round the world and holding down a job.

To do something similar I'd have to give up my job and my mortgage company wouldn't be too pleased.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #44 on: 06 February, 2018, 01:46:21 pm »
IPWR

Riders, dot-watchers, friends and fans. Apologies if you have received this message more than once; we are trying hard to get the word out to our community.

As you’re probably aware, the matter of Mike Hall’s death is before the A.C.T. Coroner’s Court with an inquest likely to be held later in the year.

Given this situation, and as more information about the potential outcomes of this process have become clear only very recently, it is with an extremely heavy heart that we cancel the 2018 Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR) with immediate effect. That is, Dragon Face Pty Ltd will not be facilitating the riding of the IPWR in any way.

The fact that this race has taken on a life of its own, strengthened the ultra-endurance cycling community and created an unparalleled interest in what is largely a very solitary pursuit is something of great pride. It’s for this same reason that this decision is not taken lightly, knowing how many people this will upset and even anger.

All monies paid during the application process for the 2018 race will be refunded.

Any person deciding to ride the IPWR course as their own endurance or bike touring challenge chooses to do so individually. No information to assist or facilitate such pursuits will be provided. Dragon Face Pty Ltd has no association with GPS tracking companies that riders may use while bike touring.

Mike Hall was a source of inspiration to so many. The phrase ‘be more Mike’ is something many of us have clung to in the weeks and months following his untimely death. Revisit that and please channel any of the negative energy associated with the cancellation of the IPWR into something that Mike would be proud of. Live because you can.

Jesse Carlsson
Director
Dragon Face Pty Ltd ABN 75 615 024 112