Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 339480 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1850 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:22:06 pm »
explorer helper for VV app.

Not available for iPhone, unfortunately.  :(

Either way, I would have had to get very wet to bag the tile. But fortunately it's local so I can in theory go back and get it any time I like - just need to keep an eye on tide times and remember to wear wellies. Today was a perfect opportunity though, as it was clearly a very low tide (it doesn't always go out that far).

Fairynuff.

One workaround for lack of app, may be to download the vv 'unbagged tiles' grid kml file from the vv summary page directly on your iphone using Safari, and then in Brouter* (again in Safari) upload the downloaded kml grid as a track, then use the BRouter locate arrow icon to see if you're in the correct grid square...

* https://brouter.de/brouter-web/#map=9/51.4352/0.0412/standard
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1851 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:28:24 pm »
Take the shoes off, roll the troosers up and wing it :-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1852 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:41:18 pm »
Take the shoes off, roll the troosers up and wing it :-)

Yeah, I probably should have done that!  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1853 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:00:37 pm »
You can also fire up VeloViewer in a browser but it is a bit slow and you obviously need to be online.

This was mildly annoying from the ride last week:

I am pretty sure that I didn't ride a dead straight line to cut the inside of the corner but as far as VeloViewer is concerned the GPS never lies!  I had actually put a spike on the GPX out into the field just to remind me to check that I was 'in' but missed it as I didn't bother with an alarm and wasn't hanging about as I was moderately sure that I was trespassing!

« Reply #1854 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:23:11 pm »

You can use Maps.me app on iPhone though. Load the KML file from VV website and it'll show you tiles around your max square you haven't yet ticked off.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1855 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:25:00 pm »

I am pretty sure that I didn't ride a dead straight line to cut the inside of the corner but as far as VeloViewer is concerned the GPS never lies!  I had actually put a spike on the GPX out into the field just to remind me to check that I was 'in' but missed it as I didn't bother with an alarm and wasn't hanging about as I was moderately sure that I was trespassing!
Look at your activities on VV, click on that one and open it in a new tab. VV will then do a more accurate rendering of route. It may just get you that tile.
The Tile Collector

citoyen

« Reply #1856 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:50:48 pm »
You can use Maps.me app on iPhone though. Load the KML file from VV website and it'll show you tiles around your max square you haven't yet ticked off.

Thanks. Have just downloaded maps.me. Now trying to work out how to get the kml to open in the app... have selected 'open in app' from the file options but it's not appearing... hmmm.

ETA: fixed! This is going to be very useful... many thanks for the tip!

« Reply #1857 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »

Look at your activities on VV, click on that one and open it in a new tab. VV will then do a more accurate rendering of route. It may just get you that tile.

Unfortunately that is a screenshot from the individual ride tab with the accurate rendering etc.  No problem - access to the other side of that tile is legit, it is a nice part of the world to ride a bike and there are other unclaimed tiles nearby  :)

« Reply #1858 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:56:39 pm »

Either way, I would have had to get very wet to bag the tile. But fortunately it's local so I can in theory go back and get it any time I like - just need to keep an eye on tide times and remember to wear wellies. Today was a perfect opportunity though, as it was clearly a very low tide (it doesn't always go out that far).
If you open the VV website, there's an option to show your current location on the activities map.

citoyen

« Reply #1859 on: 28 April, 2021, 02:00:15 pm »
If you open the VV website, there's an option to show your current location on the activities map.

This is also very useful but does rely on having a decent signal on your phone, which is precisely what I didn't have this morning... the maps.me suggestion is good because it works offline. (Although to work offline it does require you to have a recent kml file of your unexplored tiles saved on your phone.)

« Reply #1860 on: 28 April, 2021, 03:32:20 pm »

Thanks.  it's been so long since doing any vv exploring I'd forgotten about that.

Last ride I did, I plotted route in BRouter, and placed map 'lollipops' at turns & end of 'spurs', then exported with waypoints - which conveniently show up on the Garmin etrex.

Davef

« Reply #1861 on: 28 April, 2021, 04:43:16 pm »
There is a tile explorer IQ app I have on my garmin. It means you don’t have to go too far down dead ends before turning.

« Reply #1862 on: 28 April, 2021, 05:56:47 pm »
There is a tile explorer IQ app I have on my garmin. It means you don’t have to go too far down dead ends before turning.

That seems a useful additional for the new Garmins.   https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/e53331b6-55db-475a-99e9-3f567327e7ce

« Reply #1863 on: 28 April, 2021, 06:05:29 pm »
I always add a bit extra to dead end spurs and then ride past that point, just in case. GPS may be slightly off and I want to make 100% sure. Had to revisit a tile because of that once. Lesson learnt. Also when a route only just goes into a tile like JonBuoy's near miss above, I add a spur onto it. Just to be safe.
The Tile Collector

citoyen

« Reply #1864 on: 28 April, 2021, 06:09:48 pm »
I always add a bit extra to dead end spurs and then ride past that point, just in case. GPS may be slightly off and I want to make 100% sure. Had to revisit a tile because of that once. Lesson learnt.

Same here. I even added a gratuitous hill on a recent ride, even though I was pretty sure I was into the tile before the climb started.

Davef

« Reply #1865 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:36:16 pm »

That seems a useful additional for the new Garmins.   https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/e53331b6-55db-475a-99e9-3f567327e7ce
Yep, that’s the one

Davef

« Reply #1866 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:38:55 pm »
I always add a bit extra to dead end spurs and then ride past that point, just in case. GPS may be slightly off and I want to make 100% sure. Had to revisit a tile because of that once. Lesson learnt.

Same here. I even added a gratuitous hill on a recent ride, even though I was pretty sure I was into the tile before the climb started.
I used to before I had the garmin app. Now I just watch the app and wait for the tile to change colour. I then know the device has recorded a track point in the tile (even if it is slightly off from reality)

« Reply #1867 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:08:19 pm »
An extra low spring tide today, managed another tile on the sands.   

« Reply #1868 on: 29 April, 2021, 08:33:09 am »
Couldn't quite see which way you intended to get to Warden Point. My original plan was to go to the end of Warden Road. But the path at the end has now been closed by the Council due to landslips.   Instead, I went through a stile which has been installed here and there is a very pleasant path through the field down to the cliff edge.

I was planning to go through the campsite, but that path looks like an interesting possibility.

In a similar vein... in case you haven't already got this one, there's a tile you can get easily in Seasalter by going into the Alberta holiday park:

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 19.33.11 by citoyen, on Flickr
Only just saw this. Yep, I got that one, I went alongside the Holiday Park on a grass path, then back to the road through the Caravan Site.  My next Veloviewer outing is likely to be Minster and Thanet, so I may be in touch if any of the tiles look a bit tricky.

« Reply #1869 on: 29 April, 2021, 08:40:28 am »

I did wonder if it was possible to get that tile. I might have to ride down to Whitstable for a suitable low tide.

« Reply #1871 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:05:49 pm »
I see that the lovely OS maps on VeloViewer have been replaced with something called 'OS Light'.  I am not impressed!

There are details on the VV Facebook page that I don't fully understand need to read again.

Davef

« Reply #1872 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »
I see that the lovely OS maps on VeloViewer have been replaced with something called 'OS Light'.  I am not impressed!

There are details on the VV Facebook page that I don't fully understand need to read again.
There are 2 options, os light and os something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1873 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:44:09 pm »
This is the sort of thing that I see on the Activities tab:

citoyen

« Reply #1874 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:58:01 pm »
There are 2 options, os light and os something else

OS Light and OS Leisure. I can see both in my maps list in Activities. Might be something to do with having a PRO account?

I read the post on Facebook and I don't really understand it either. I mean, I get that the OS maps are now restricted but I didn't really understand the bit about layering with Google maps.