Author Topic: Science that makes you cringe  (Read 49550 times)

Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #75 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:23:44 pm »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weargraphene/gamma-all-season-graphene-infused-heated-jacket/description

Feast yourself on this buffet of bullshit.

Surely if its a great conductor of heat as they claim it cannot also be great insulation and keep you warm ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:35:27 pm »
Graphene is incredible stuff, but they're getting a wee bit carried away there.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: 11 May, 2021, 06:47:48 pm »
I particularly admired the marketing speak that claimed it was a superconductor, and that meant it would cool you in hot weather and warm you in cold weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #78 on: 11 May, 2021, 07:02:55 pm »
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/under-armour-womens-isochill-2in1-running-shorts

Made with ribbon-shaped Nylon fibres that work to quickly disperse heat, while titanium dioxide (the same ingredient they use in sun cream) pulls heat away from your body so you stay cool and perform for longer.

Where to start? Titanium dioxide is also used in toothpaste (although shortly to be banned by the EU for those still there). Does that mean it keeps your teeth clean while you're running?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #79 on: 11 May, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »
Just slather on some Sudocream.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 12 May, 2021, 02:40:07 pm »
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/under-armour-womens-isochill-2in1-running-shorts

Made with ribbon-shaped Nylon fibres that work to quickly disperse heat, while titanium dioxide (the same ingredient they use in sun cream) pulls heat away from your body so you stay cool and perform for longer.

Where to start? Titanium dioxide is also used in toothpaste (although shortly to be banned by the EU for those still there). Does that mean it keeps your teeth clean while you're running?

Never mind toothpaste (or paint, or anything else where it's used as a pigment), they've got the principle of operation completely wrong.

citoyen

« Reply #81 on: 12 May, 2021, 03:02:12 pm »
Just slather on some Sudocream.

On your teeth? Ugh!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #82 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:04:24 pm »
Titanium white is a common artist's colour. I'm not sure whether it's also titanium dioxide but I'd presumed paint, sun screen and toothpaste all worked by reflectivity.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #83 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:10:03 pm »
It goes without saying.

I'm intrigued by the man who 'accidentally used toothpaste as lube.'

citoyen

« Reply #84 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:18:05 pm »
Titanium white is a common artist's colour. I'm not sure whether it's also titanium dioxide but I'd presumed paint, sun screen and toothpaste all worked by reflectivity.

My wife was watching a programme about Georgian make-up the other day. Apparently, they used to paint their faces with Flake White, which I know of as a paint colour rather than a make-up product. It's made with lead and highly poisonous, and caused many deaths. But they continued using it despite being aware of the danger because it was such a pure white. The alternatives, such as titanium dioxide, have a slight yellowish tinge, especially in candlelight.

But yeah, titanium dioxide (and zinc oxide) is used in sunscreens because it reflects UV rays. I don't know about how it works in toothpaste though. Charcoal seems to be the favoured ingredient in toothpaste these days. Black stuff that makes your teeth whiter - it's like magic!

citoyen

« Reply #85 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:20:04 pm »
It goes without saying.

I'm sure I've previously mentioned my schoolmate who once confessed to doing that. It was how he earned the nickname Colgate, which stuck with him for the rest of his school career (never let it be said that schoolboys lack imagination). I can't even remember what his real name was now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:34:01 pm »
It goes without saying.

I'm sure I've previously mentioned my schoolmate who once confessed to doing that.

I once had reason to ask a room full of bisexuals.  About half had tried it.  Weirdos.

ian

« Reply #87 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:37:50 pm »
I can think of many things that might have the properties of a reasonable tribological agent for intimate purposes, but toothpaste doesn't leap to the top of that list. I'd probably advise against, and not from personal experience, Swarfega. Growing up, we had tubs of that everywhere, mostly because my mother's brother-in-law worked in the factory and kept bringing it home.

That said: boys. I went to school with a young man who abused himself regularly with an Atari joystick. Everyone who'd been around his house to play Pitfall before that reveal had cause to need a lot of Swarfega. I was scrubbing for weeks. There was another guy who apparently liked to splash out on cacti. I have no idea. I like botany. I don't like it that much.

A friend and I once ate a tube of toothpaste in an attempt to hide the smell of Woodpecker. It didn't work, we just foamed at the mouth like we had rabies, and we smelled like minty sick.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:39:02 pm »
I can think of many things that might have the properties of a reasonable tribological agent for intimate purposes, but toothpaste doesn't leap to the top of that list. I'd probably advise against, and not from personal experience, Swarfega. Growing up, we had tubs of that everywhere, mostly because my mother's brother-in-law worked in the factory and kept bringing it home.

Again courtesy of the bisexuals: Swarfega is not safe for use with condoms.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #89 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:46:59 pm »
Is that the orange or green swarfega? Asking for a friend. (No. Just no. Aside from any rubber-dissolving or other unwanted chemical properties, both varieties just smell awful. And not in a pheromonally ripe way.) Truly the things some people enjoy are just strange.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #90 on: 12 May, 2021, 04:57:25 pm »
Never mind toothpaste (or paint, or anything else where it's used as a pigment), they've got the principle of operation completely wrong.

Well. Exactly. It's only marginally better than spiral water.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #91 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:29:44 pm »
I bet a dab of the toothpaste is cheaper than the “tingling lube” in boots though. However, judging by the way Miss Dan the Younger’s whitening toothpaste stains the electric toothbrush blue, I’d want to be careful about which one I chose.

ian

« Reply #92 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:39:54 pm »
Kids these days, two parts Bonjela and one part Savlon should do the trick.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #93 on: 12 May, 2021, 08:23:41 pm »
Is that the orange or green swarfega? Asking for a friend.

I believe it was the green stuff.  Quite right too, because the orange one has lumpy bits.

Fortunately it was my suggestion for a comedy inappropriate lubricant to demonstrate in a safer sex workshop (unlike the toothpaste data, which was a literature review based on various independently conducted field trials).

ian

« Reply #94 on: 12 May, 2021, 08:25:59 pm »
I only remember green. It used to be made somewhere near Derby. Giants tubs of the stuff. We had no idea what do with it all. I'm pretty sure my mother used it to shampoo us.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #95 on: 12 May, 2021, 09:37:01 pm »
I vaguely recall its origins lay in stUff invented for cleaning silk stockings.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #96 on: 12 May, 2021, 09:49:28 pm »
That's what Wikipedia says, and bless my recently cleaned silk stockings, it was invented by chap called Audley Bowdler Williamson, who was born in Heanor, Derbyshire. I am also a product of Heanor, Derbyshire, though yet to be renowned for my cleaning products. It does explain the vast tubs of the stuff that featured in my childhood though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #97 on: 16 May, 2021, 12:56:34 am »
Mystery foam polluting River Ouseburn sparks criminal probe

Quote from: the Beeb
The Environment Agency...asked people not to put anything containing chemicals down those drains.

:facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #98 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:26:47 am »
Who’s running the EA these days, Gwyneth Paltrow?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #99 on: 20 May, 2021, 11:37:28 pm »
I didn't think putting chemicals down things was Gwynnie's forte, per se.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465