Author Topic: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread  (Read 21621 times)

Re: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread
« Reply #125 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:43:49 pm »
I'm out of the Hop Garden, bike has come down with carbonitis and might need to be put down.

Oh no. What’s happened?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #126 on: 09 May, 2021, 04:26:19 pm »
Apparently the rear mudguard I fitted has worn through the carbon on the rear stay. To the extent that Trek say its a write off. And doesn't come within their lifetime guarantee as not a manufacturer defect (probably fair enough). Annoying as the only reason I fitted the damn thing in the first place (other than to comply with Audax regulation!) was because the Trek-manufactured, Trek-supplied and Trek Dealer-fitted mudguard fell off and nearly mangled my rear wheel 400k into the 2018 Fenlands Friends (just leaving Boston).
I'm a bit peeved.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #127 on: 09 May, 2021, 04:43:16 pm »
Sounds like https://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/wp/ or a similar mob is the next step.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #128 on: 09 May, 2021, 04:49:35 pm »
Certainly an option. As much as I'm not particularly keen to provide Trek with more custom, it might be that the best option to get a functioning bike relatively quickly is to take Trek up on their offer of a 25% discount on a new frame. But part of that deal is returning the old frame...

Of course one of the morals of this tale is that having only one bike is foolish.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #129 on: 09 May, 2021, 04:56:23 pm »
Well, yes. The ‘one bike’ approach works when it works and doesn’t when, etc.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

felstedrider

« Reply #130 on: 09 May, 2021, 07:40:55 pm »
Wilkyboy laid on the weather for us today.  50k ECE to Saffron Walden and time to sit around drinking coffee in the fresh air.  Lovely route out to the Maglia Rosso for coffee and cake.  Felt pretty perky on the way back and it feels like my legs are returning.

Decent chat at the finish and then 50k back in the sunshine.  The world is beginning to feel more normal again.

« Reply #131 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:10:34 pm »
Indeed, enjoyed The Red Penny Ride 100 today. Lovely route, good to have company, and enjoyed a sausage and egg bap and spicy sausage roll. Number of water bottle destroyed- 1. Get to be in shorts and t shirt. Just a brief bit of rain at 75km.

« Reply #132 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »
Thirded! I really enjoyed the Red Penny ride - great route and glorious weather (I must have missed the rain). From a rider POV, I’d say it was a good thing it had to be postponed from November ;D The new (to me) Bacchetta ran flawlessly too. The only negative of the day was forgetting sun cream :)

« Reply #133 on: 10 May, 2021, 05:14:31 pm »
Funky bar tape on your yellow peril 😁

« Reply #134 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:34:53 pm »
Funky bar tape on your yellow peril 😁

That’s how it came when I bought it ;D I was thinking to change it for something less garish but it’s actually starting to grow on me  :)

« Reply #135 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:47:01 pm »
After a successful first outing today I've taken my chances and entered The Broadsman on the 30th May and the 100km Windmill ride...not that I'm too eager or anything!

« Reply #136 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:49:51 pm »
Thirded! I really enjoyed the Red Penny ride - great route and glorious weather (I must have missed the rain). From a rider POV, I’d say it was a good thing it had to be postponed from November ;D The new (to me) Bacchetta ran flawlessly too. The only negative of the day was forgetting sun cream :)

Which top tube bag is that and what’s the capacity?

« Reply #137 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:31:17 pm »
Which top tube bag is that and what’s the capacity?

It’s a large Topeak Fuel Tank, which apparently has a capacity of 0.75l. I find it useful for holding my grazing snacks, though thinking of changing it for a bag with a phone compartment on top to use as a routesheet holder  :)

felstedrider

« Reply #138 on: 18 May, 2021, 10:10:32 am »
If anyone is interested I queried the results of the Grand Tour de Stour as the ride was listed but the points were missing.

It looks like this was an issue with the registration set-up of the event and I had confirmation that it had been fixed yesterday.   I can now see my points so assume everyone else can.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: 18 May, 2021, 10:23:58 am »
If anyone is interested I queried the results of the Grand Tour de Stour as the ride was listed but the points were missing.

It looks like this was an issue with the registration set-up of the event and I had confirmation that it had been fixed yesterday.   I can now see my points so assume everyone else can.

:thumbsup: Likewise! Though I suppose a 200km Brevet Populaire, at a lower speed limit, is good practice for when I'm older and even slower!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #140 on: 18 May, 2021, 04:34:49 pm »
Any more news on ECEing Hereward to 400km?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #141 on: 18 May, 2021, 06:00:26 pm »
Any more news on ECEing Hereward to 400km?

I was thinking the same this morning. Logically it should be ok as the extra bit is effectively a perm, but you never know.

« Reply #142 on: 18 May, 2021, 09:37:07 pm »
I've entered the Windmill 200 as my first Audax back after lockdown. Can't believe I've never done it before what with it starting about half a mile away. No getting up at the crack of dawn. Wooo!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #143 on: 07 June, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
The 213km Essex R&R and 107km A Little Essex R&R (7th August) are now open for entry.
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8709
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8710
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #144 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:20:38 pm »
My 2013 AudaxUK membersahip is renewed and I am in for the Windmill 100 as my first ride over 20 miles since LEL2013. I am killing the commute lately mind.

I am going to do the ride to the start as a halfway house this weekend, that's a gnat's under 100km on top. See how that goes.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #145 on: 08 June, 2021, 07:06:56 am »
I'm doing a helper's ride for the Windmill 200 next Monday - Soupy and I'll be manning the Finchingfield checkpoint the following Sunday for the 200 & 100km rides.

« Reply #146 on: 08 June, 2021, 02:00:09 pm »
The 213km Essex R&R and 107km A Little Essex R&R (7th August) are now open for entry.
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8709
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8710

Good man, in!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #147 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:36:40 am »
Today is the day I am creating the A&S staggered start list.  I'll form an ACME group for late start (as requested by an elder who will be riding to Manningtree).
If anyone would like to ride a Helpers' route check the weekend before let me know and I'll arrange to get brevets to you (I won't be riding myself so no need to worry about slowing down for me).
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:11:19 am »
The ACME peloton has formed. 09:15 start. I'll be aiming to get to Manningtree Station Buffet for breakfast around 08:00. Any other ACME riders on the A&S, other than those in the 09:15 group? No doubt many of the 'usual suspects' will be there too.

Sad news about the landlord of the Fox and Hounds at Weasenham - the Bell at Hempton (1st L shortly after joining the A1065 at Fakenham outskirts) is only just off the route. Currently closing at 10pm on Saturdays. Grey Sheep and I have already talked about a takeaway curry stop in Melton Constable (other outlets are available) as an alternative to Wells. This has worked out very well on our last two A&Ss. Breaking the ride up with a pub stop in Wells is another option, or Swaffham if we get a tailwind both ways! This is working out timings on the usual gentlemanly plan of around 24 hours for the event, aiming to arrive at a civilised hour for breakfast, back at the Station Buffet.

« Reply #149 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:08:18 am »
Looks like a cracking weekend weather wise. I was tempted into riding the Peewhits and Curlews ride from Darlington, so I'm missing out on the A&S this year.