Author Topic: Thinks about getting a treadmill  (Read 1771 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Thinks about getting a treadmill
« on: 29 March, 2021, 09:23:59 am »
<fx:googles>
Looks at the bewildering array of treadmills, functions and multifalarious price points. Looks in cupboard for running shoes.

Seriously though, now that we’re coming out of a lock down and spring is in the air, now seems to be a good time to pick up a bargain. But.Help!

Does anyone have experience of cheaper treadmills, which features are must have, what in nice to have, and which are just gimmicks.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Thinks about getting a treadmill
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:55:31 am »
Bare-faced hijacking of thread. If you can't make up your mind on an inevitable expensive treadmill, you could consider a Nordictrack ski machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwuHumexHs

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:53:50 am »
Are you selling one, or did you just want to post that picture?

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2021, 10:28:14 pm »
it does look pretty nice, but what are the benefits over a treadmill?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2021, 02:16:42 pm »
I should thing the major benefit is the none impact nature of the exercise over running. A secondary benefit is the arms are also exercised.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2021, 05:45:21 pm »
To be perfectly honest I would find justifying a treadmill when I can simply step outside really difficult.  A different type of trainer such as a rowing machine or a nordic ski type machine I would find easier to justify on that very same basis.   However, I know that I would be unlikely to use any bit of kit on a regular basis and I'd be thinking about how many pairs of running shoes I could have bought for the same price. 

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2021, 08:14:15 pm »
I do like my turbo with Zwift.  I have a stair climber but it is pretty boring and only worth doing for short periods.  Otherwise I would agree that I do not need extra kit.  I ran almost every day through the winter and the mental benefits of being outside far outweigh the actual exercise.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:12:33 pm »
A different type of trainer such as
...anything from Adidas to Zero, would be healthier cheaper and funner.

Looks in cupboard for running shoes.
Leave them by the door.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:18:08 pm »
it does look pretty nice, but what are the benefits over a treadmill?
She sings ABBA songs, comes with a Volvo estate, and has a good understanding of modern social democracy?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.