Author Topic: Average Blood Pressure?  (Read 22073 times)

Re: Average Blood Pressure?
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
With luck, by the time I'm old enough to worry about breaking a hip if I fall, my blood pressure will have risen sufficiently.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:14:45 pm »
Be warned, a life long friend of mine who is fit and healthy , fell over last year while exiting a restuarant and broke her hip badly enough to require a replacement.  She is only 54 !!

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:18:51 pm »
...She is only 54 !!

Bugger. It's a Zimmer off Ebay then.

gonzo

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:34:57 pm »
I've been randomly passing out recently after drinking, sitting then standing. Went to see the doc and he said it was nothing to worry about. Still, he didn't give me that explanation which makes things a little clearer. Ta muchly!

Kathy

« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »
I've been randomly passing out recently after drinking <snip>

::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:38:01 pm »
I have a cheap home BP toy; My average BP is about 100/65. I am 50 tomorrow. That's healthy enough for me.

A low blood pressure is a problem if you feel faint.

Otherwise, forget about your blood pressure for now, check it every few years, or regularly in pregnant women or those with high blood pressure.

Textbook 'normal' BP is 120/80 but anything between 85/50 and 140/90 is probably OK.

High blood pressure is worth treating as the consequences of untreated hypertension are nasty.

gonzo

« Reply #31 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:42:17 pm »
Otherwise, forget about your blood pressure for now, check it every few years, or regularly in pregnant women or those with high blood pressure.

That got mis-read by me!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:44:06 pm »
Blood pressure is the force the blood exerts on the walls of the blood vessels.  Systemic arterial BP comes from the blood being discharged by the left ventricle into the full aorta.   

When the heart is resting after ejection of blood, the pressure in the arteries is the diastolic BP. 

The difference between the two is the pulse pressure.

Bear in mind that BP is affected by time of day, posture, sex.

Mine is normally around 90/50 but this also means I suffer in hot baths.

I find that my pressure rises duing sex... so helpful having an other half who's a doctor!    ;D

You measure your blood pressure during sex? Even I am not that sad...

« Reply #33 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:44:55 pm »

Strangely enough since I've got much fitter I get this problem more frequently. I put this down to (presumably) having a larger heart and a lower resting heart beat, so the heart takes longer to fire up to speed from a resting situation.

Snap snappity snap !

I asked the Doc about this and she said I should drink more water during the day.
Rust never sleeps

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »
Mine's usually about 105/60 - although once it was 85/50 & the nurse looked at me in a concerned fashion & asked me if I felt OK.  Family history of low blood pressure - occasionally I get the spots-in-front-of-eyes thing when I stand up, although not so often since I've started doing more exercise.

Osteoporosis: I do occasionally worry a bit about this, because AIUI cycling *isn't* good anti-osteoporosis exercise, because it's not weight-bearing.  I'm pretty sure I still walk around more than the average car-driving person, though. 

If you are worried about osteoporosis:
1) Women should make sure they weigh enough and exercise little enough to allow menstration. (Try an 'ovulation break' mid-cycle if doing much Audax & other riding)
2) Walk more. Try to improve the weight-bearing quality of walks, either by running or by carrying a heavy rucksack. (Half an hour with 20kg groceries might be enough, especially uphill.)
3) Make sure your calcium and vitamin D intake are sufficient. Get a bit of sunlight to allow vitamin D to form in your skin.
4) Excess alcohol is bad for bone density; avoid.
5) Hold on to your womanly parts for as long as possible.

« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »
just taken my BP 138/89  56yrs young
had to do a two week assessment morning mid day evening average was 139/73 doctor said I was OK :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:12:29 pm »
My BP can be around 140/90 on occasions - but that's nearly always when I haven't done any kind of activity since getting up. As soon as I do anything - even cycling a couple of km to the local shop for a paper, it drops to around 120/60 for the rest of the day.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #37 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:13:14 pm »

Fizzy drinks too, bad for the bones.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:19:23 pm »

Fizzy drinks too, bad for the bones.

Also, too much water and too much salt.

I don't want to create a hypochondriacal tribe though.

« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:37:45 am »
sadly ;) I have never managed to exercise enough to avoid menstruation.  Cycling gets me out in the sun so I should be OK for vit D these days - I'm a bit concerned about my calcium intake (vegan) so may start supplementing again.  I am only 30 at present so not exactly high osteoporosis risk!  Walking more probably a good idea - dodgy knees mean I've tended to avoid it the last couple of years (but only in the sense of not walking recreationally - I don't drive so walking is still a form of transport when I'm not on the bike!)

annie

« Reply #40 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:07:58 pm »
sadly ;) I have never managed to exercise enough to avoid menstruation.  Cycling gets me out in the sun so I should be OK for vit D these days - I'm a bit concerned about my calcium intake (vegan) so may start supplementing again.  I am only 30 at present so not exactly high osteoporosis risk!  Walking more probably a good idea - dodgy knees mean I've tended to avoid it the last couple of years (but only in the sense of not walking recreationally - I don't drive so walking is still a form of transport when I'm not on the bike!)

I walk for miles each week and never have any problems with my knees, running does cause problems but never walking, a good pair of shoes or boots and decent socks means I can happily walk for 10 miles +

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Thread resurrection.

I'm a bit pissed off as my blood pressure seems to have gone up recently. We have a small machine which uses AAA batteries and gives readings in keeping with those I have had at the doc's. Typically, my BP is something like 135/70, which is perfectly OK for someone my age and pretty impressive for someone my weight.

In April, after I had been suffering from a nasty throat infection, it went up to 160ish/70ish. I put it down to the infection. Sure enough, a few weeks later it was back to my normal level.

Today I have measured it twice. 170ish/70ish. Not good. However, I am a bit stressy as I'm going away for a week tomorrow and that may be a contributory factor.

I'll see how it is after I get back and if it's still high I will have a word with the doc. Losing weight is on the cards. It's been a worse year than normal for that sort of thing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #42 on: 28 August, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »
When i was in hospikle with the BAD foot last week they were concerned that my BP was 166/119. I told them it was probably just stress and nervousness at the hospital as my last 3 tests, at the GP, were 120/80. Sure enough when they checked me the next morning in Lancaster infirmary all was back to Normal.  I have a morbid fear of being in hospital due to the memory of the first words I can recall hearing when I woke from the Coma and have been known, Often, to discharge myself in the first few hours, even after a TIA!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #43 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
Is there any relation to the difference between the systolic and diastolic number? I always seem to have a fairly high systolic rate, but low diastolic.

For example, my most recent was 129/58. My resting heart rate is currently sitting around 45ish. I also get dizzy spells after a hard ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:13:02 pm »
Systolic pressure is usually around 50% more than diastolic so 'normal' blood pressure is (eg) 120/80.

The difference between the two values is known as the pulse pressure.

A very wide pulse pressure could indicate a leaky aortic valve, fever or other causes of a hyperdynamic circulation.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #45 on: 07 September, 2013, 02:37:53 pm »
138/69 with pulse of 64. That's better than it was 10 days ago!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 07 September, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »
138/69 with pulse of 64. That's better than it was 10 days ago!

I'd say that's OK for you.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #47 on: 07 September, 2013, 03:12:55 pm »
FWIW, on the bike it can rise to 250/whatever. When I have a stress test I usually top out at 220/70.  At rest and fit I'm usually in the 130/70 area, but I'm still recovering from injury so the systolic is a wee bit higher. At the doc's the white-coated funbuster effect shoves it up to 150/80.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 11 June, 2021, 02:36:17 pm »
After not doing so for a while I have taken my BP/pulse 3 days in a row.

110/68 62
115/62 50
119/64 44

This is a lot better than it used to be, almost certainly associated with losing over 3 stones in weight and averaging over 10500 paces per day.

Some years ago my GP prescribed losartan potassium after a routine health check. My BP wasn't especially high at the time- 140ish/something IIRC. I mentioned this to my Aussie daughter, who is on an all-Aus health policy committee of some sort. She got quite cross and went on about prescribing stuff for patients who don't need it, thereby cultivating a "worried well" culture. She gave the raison d'être for these health checks and prescriptions that result from them as a means of increasing big pharma's profits.

Given that that prescription was for a less active man who weighed about 3½ stones more than I do, I'm going to collect a week's worth of data and then suggest to the doc that I stop taking the losartan whilst continuing to monitor my BP.

« Reply #49 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:46:23 am »
Just checked it and blood pressure was 113/76, resting HR 46, which seems to be in normal range.