Author Topic: Tubeless 29er - what do I need?  (Read 9601 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Tubeless 29er - what do I need?
« on: 10 October, 2015, 06:27:41 pm »
I bought some new tubeless wheels recently (Shimano Deore XT - M785) for my 29er. I'm currently running tubes with slime and want to move over to tubeless at some stage so was looking at a Stans kit and noticed it has rim strips with valve cores plus spoke tape. I already have valve cores and assume I don't need the rim strips but rather only need the sealant? Is that right?
Gibbo.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Tubeless 29er - what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Think you need a strip as well. Don't know your specific wheel but the strip stops air leaking through the spoke holes.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2015, 08:16:48 pm »
I bought some new tubeless wheels recently (Shimano Deore XT - M785) for my 29er. I'm currently running tubes with slime and want to move over to tubeless at some stage so was looking at a Stans kit and noticed it has rim strips with valve cores plus spoke tape. I already have valve cores and assume I don't need the rim strips but rather only need the sealant? Is that right?
Gibbo.

The 'strips are rubber, like a halved tube. If your wheels are tubeless. Ompatible you shouldn't need them, and infant they'll get in the way. You will need rim tape (Stan's or I'm currently liking the effeto mariposa variant. Or, on mtb,25mm Gorilla tape weeks a treat), tubeless.valves and some sealant (Stan's seems the favourite, although I'm currently trying Caffè Latex because it is free of ammonia and so should be kinder ro rims.

Tape the rim to seal it, fit the tyre, pump it up to see if it seals. If it does then let it down and remove the valve core. Add the correct amount of sealant, reinsert the valve core and pump it up again th en go for a ride. If it doesn't seal option one is to use a compressor to get the air in fast enough to seal or option 2 is to add sealant shake it around and pump it up outside hoping the sealant will seal the rims.

Just done new mtb tyres and used the sealant to seal method.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2015, 11:02:02 am »
What do you need? Well, speaking from my recent experience of going tubeless, converting standard Bontrager 29er rims and tyres using a Stan's kit with rubber rim strips with built in valves, you might need access to a decent compressor to whack enough air in to get an initial seal. I had my LBS help out. If you are using your existing tyres, you might also find you need to buy a new tyre if, like mine, there was already a 1/4" long puncture in the tread that the fluid could not seal...

fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2015, 12:03:12 pm »
Tubeless rim strip, tubeless valve, sealant, a pump and patience.

Bontrager do a floor pump specifically to seat tubeless. it has a reservoir attached which you charge as high as you can and then flip the lever to do the rapid inflate/ seat bit-

Bontrager TLR Flash Charger

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2015, 12:24:57 pm »
You are correct, the XT wheels are like the Ultegra ones in that they are "two way fit", so they will take tubes or tubeless. All you need is the tyres and liquid, no rim tape required as there is no spoke holes in the rim (nipples at hub end)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State