Author Topic: RIP Alan 'boom boom' Minter  (Read 2295 times)

RIP Alan 'boom boom' Minter
« on: 10 September, 2020, 08:04:37 pm »
Sad to see his passing, maybe not one of the greats but a hero from my youth. Remember the fights against Antuofermo and Tonna like they were yesterday.

RIP, champ

A

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: RIP Alan 'boom boom' Minter
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2020, 03:17:11 pm »
I used to see him fairly regularly back in the mid 80's.  He banked at a branch of Natwest in the city, who I worked for at the time.

He was a good looking bloke and he knew it.  Apparently, he wound up an interview with one of the managers with the comment "If any of the ladies want an autograph, I'll hang around for a while".

Off topic, Tony Bucknall [the England rugby captain] also banked there, unknown to me.  One Monday he walked up to the till I was working at with a huge black eye.  Bit embarrasing, it was me who had given him the shiner on the Saturday before.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2020, 04:23:00 pm »
Bet you didn't give Alan Minter many black eyes!  Mind you, I've a vague recollection that the only person ever to give Rocky Marciano a black eye was his young son.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2020, 05:02:51 pm »
Bet you didn't give Alan Minter many black eyes!

Certainly did not!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2020, 05:12:32 pm »
If you've ever wondered who would win a fight between a top professional welterweight boxer at the peak of his career (and who fought for the world tile) and a Welsh international second row forward, this was decided once and for all in a pub carpark in Gorseinon in about 1981. The rugby player subsequently missed several games because of injuries 'sustained in training'. A broken rib may have been involved.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2020, 06:52:43 pm »
If you've ever wondered who would win a fight between a top professional welterweight boxer at the peak of his career (and who fought for the world tile) and a Welsh international second row forward, this was decided once and for all in a pub carpark in Gorseinon in about 1981. The rugby player subsequently missed several games because of injuries 'sustained in training'. A broken rib may have been involved.

I think it is your duty to name & shame... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2020, 07:27:47 pm »
The name of the pub was the Mardy. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out the participants. The rugby one was Welsh captain at some point.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2020, 11:14:43 pm »
It's now a 'spoons, so probably best avoided :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2020, 08:40:05 am »
The name of the pub was the Mardy. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out the participants. The rugby one was Welsh captain at some point.
Still non-the-wiser. :-\

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2020, 11:21:16 am »
The rugby player played at least once in the same side as (Terry) Holmes, which was noteworthy for reasons unconnected with sport. Sadly there wasn't a Watson in the team.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2020, 05:13:08 pm »

Nor me. So far as I can ascertain, the only second row it could have been is Richard Moriarty but I can't find any confirmation on line.

You tease us, Mr. Salvatore!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2020, 06:33:08 pm »

Nor me. So far as I can ascertain, the only second row it could have been is Richard Moriarty but I can't find any confirmation on line.

It was probably one of those stories that grows, as it gets passed on from person to person.  :-D

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »

Not exactly definitive but have a look here or here

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2020, 09:41:39 pm »

Not exactly definitive but have a look here or here

Yep, Richard Moriarty and Colin Jones. I thought it had been hushed up and not gone to court, but it was neathy 40 years ago.

This article describes it as "Welsh folklore". I started working in Swansea shortly after the alleged incident, and everyone knew what had happened (or at least the salient fact that the two had fought and Moriarty had come off worse) but it was never reported because officially it never happened.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:17:18 am »

It was probably one of those stories that grows, as it gets passed on from person to person.  :-D
I know nothing about rugby or boxing but I like the way this story grows!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.