Author Topic: Newbie GPS Questions  (Read 1333 times)

Newbie GPS Questions
« on: 07 October, 2015, 05:50:21 pm »
I am completely new to GPS and Strava; I do not own a smart phone; I run Debian Linux.

I am considering GPS as part of the planning for a LEJOG to raise funds for Affordable Counselling in the South West next year.

The idea is to enable followers, colleagues and donors to track my progress, probably using Strava, in much the same way as it has been possible to track Steve's progress on the Tommy Godwin record attempt.

Looking at a simple Garmin device, I note that proprietry software is only provided for Windoze and Mac, not for Linux.

Googling suggests that some devices enable manual uploading of FIT or GPX files to a laptop, which can then be uploaded to Strava.  I'm not sure if the Edge 20 would permit manual uploading.

On the other hand, this enterprising chap has created a Garmin Communicator Plugin for Linux.  However, the Edge 20 is not listed, and it's not clear whether it is a device that allows access to its file system.  Andreas Diesner states:

"If you do have a device (manufacturer does not matter) which offers access to the file system of the device ([Linux] automatically mounts the device, so you can access it using the file manager) - you can easily transfer GPX files to the device using the plugin."

I might have to borrow a smart phone for the ride, in order to be able to upload to Strava and file daily reports, as I don't want to lug a laptop around.

Does anyone have any experience of using similar equipment and software to the above, and how did you get on?  What is necessary for track logging to be uploaded automatically, ie as I ride?

Any help appreciated by this total newbie!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Newbie GPS Questions
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »
Any of the recent Garmin Edge models work as a USB mass storage device. So just plug it in, then it will appear as a drive. Then you can copy the FIT files off, then do a manual upload to Strava etc. So this should work fine with the Edge 20.

The Garmin Communicator Plugin is mostly obsolete, and no longer supported by Strava, so I wouldn't bother with that anyway.

For using a phone, some of the newer Garmins also have Bluetooth Smart (eg the Edge 25 does). You can use the app (Android or iOS) to transfer your rides, and upload to Garmin Connect (which can be set to copy to Strava). That may be easier than plugging in a cable. Though sometimes it seems a bit unreliable or slow to connect.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:12:18 pm »
I run Debian on my desktop, and uploading logs to Strava from my eTrex is just a case of plugging it in and selecting a file.

You *can* mount an eTrex on an Android device and upload to strava via the website, given the right cable, a cooperative version of Android and a bit of arsing about in the browser.

However, by far the simplest is to record the ride via the Strava app (which, frustratingly, has no capability of uploading logs from other apps/devices), and it will automagically upload it when done.  If you're doing it so people can follow your progress, this opens the possibility of splitting the day's ride into several parts and uploading them as you go (eg. when you stop for lung[1] lunch), without additional faffing about.  The problem becomes mostly one of powering a smartphone all day, see audax threads passim.

If you want real-time tracking, Garmins and Strava aren't the solution.  You'll need an app like Glympse, a generous bucket of electrons, and data connectivity in the outer reaches of Scotland.  Or a proper satellite-based tracker like Teethgrinder is using.

[1] TBAGO

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:55:59 pm »
Thanks for those helpful replies!

I expect I'll be back with more questions anon. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2015, 08:10:40 pm »
I would have thought the simplest solution for what you want to do is a smartphone running Strava app and an external battery pack to keep it powered all day.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo