Author Topic: Heart Monitor  (Read 3725 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Heart Monitor
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2023, 05:17:11 pm »
The inaccuracy of watches for measuring HR is legendary but many tester find good correlation. I find my watch is almost identical to a chest strap. The only problem is when running in the very cold when it loses the pulse and locks to my stride.

My Apple watch produced sufficiently high quality ECGs for the cardiac consultant in A&E to take notice...

A pedant would note that it's not an ECG if it's measuring bloodflow optically.

« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:30:06 pm »
Apple Watch does both.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:33:21 pm »
Apple Watch does both.

Shirley that would need a second electrode?

« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:38:59 pm »
1 electors but a connection through the other hand. Validated as a medical device by American FDA

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:41:18 pm »
Ah yes.  I just looked it up, and remembered it from last time I looked it up (and then promptly recycled the neurons).  You've got to sit there with a finger on the not-a-winding-knob to complete the circuit for the duration, which makes sense.

« Reply #30 on: 30 November, 2023, 07:54:06 pm »
“ A heart rate under 50 BPM or over 120 BPM in ECG version 1 affects the ECG app’s ability to check for AFib. In ECG version 2, a heart rate under 50 BPM or over 150 BPM can affect the ECG app's ability to check for AFib.”

Interesting, as many of us who regularly exercise have resting HRs under 50 bpm.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #31 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:07:55 pm »
It annoys me that Garmin, whilst knowing that fit people do have low resting heart rates, didn't bother programming on my fancy watch the ability to flag an alarm for a really low heart rate any slower than 40.  When I'm asleep, my heart rate is around 37.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #32 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:35:32 pm »
When I got knocked off my bike and carted off to hospital my HR was so low they believed I was dying but really I was just resting.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:30:31 pm »
One day I'd like to be one of these fit people.  I think mine gets down to 70 occasionally.

« Reply #34 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:43:37 pm »
When I got knocked off my bike and carted off to hospital my HR was so low they believed I was dying but really I was just resting.
I had a bypass four years ago, and the follow-up over the years since has occasionally run up against the fact that mine can certainly drop to around 40. A sibling who probably exercises less is being investigated for a different reason, and has had the same experience, so I'm not sure whether, for me, it's being super-fit (I wish) or just genetic.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:35:30 am »
Probably a combination of both.
My Mum has never really done formal exercise.

I saw an ECG from when she was a teenager, in the '50s.

She had a rate of 45...

« Reply #36 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:37:45 am »
Probably a combination of both.
My Mum has never really done formal exercise.

I saw an ECG from when she was a teenager, in the '50s.

She had a rate of 45...
MrsC is the same.
She also has impressive muscle tone for someone who never exercises.

I turn into a blob of not-quite-set jelly if I skip exercising for 3 days in a row, and my resting heart rate is over 70 (the only exceptions to that were when I was doing 15-20 hrs a week of hard exercise).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:04:42 am »
Do you have a high max, something like 190 or 200 bpm?

« Reply #38 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:13:53 am »
How can you tell? "your heart has ruptured because you exceeded max pulse rate"

I guess 'yes', because if I have a hard perceived effort, my pulse will go over 180, and sustained 165-170 is normal for me. I'm 56, so that is high for age.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:12:05 pm »
I guess 'yes', because if I have a hard perceived effort, my pulse will go over 180, and sustained 165-170 is normal for me. I'm 56, so that is high for age.

Similarly, I can reach 190 if I work hard, and easily sustain over 160.  I'm *pauses for a maths break* 44.

« Reply #40 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:30:59 pm »
*Shrugs*. I go ~40 to ~165 and Mr Smith (who is much older) goes ~60 to ~185

Not a lot in it, really. The 'best' measure of heart fitness is how fast your HR drops to normal after exertion.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 01 December, 2023, 03:05:12 pm »
When I bought my first HRM in 1990, I'd top 180 on the 2km commute to work...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #42 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:05:19 pm »

Yup!  Anytime anyone reaches for my wrist to take a pulse, I forewarn them that it will be really low and they haven't miscounted, and yes, that's normal.

I do have an emergency contact tag on my wrist - perhaps I should get a warning line about my heart rate added to it?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #43 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:52:36 am »
Some very impressive numbers around.

I just want to avoid a heart attack as I set out on my first ride for *blush* at least ten years and also over weight.

Pete
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #44 on: 02 December, 2023, 09:09:14 am »
Resting is around 40-45 for me, dipping to high 30s when sleeping. I've always had a fast recovery to resting too, despite always being moderately overweight. At school the PE teacher didn't believe my figures when we did a test involving measuring resting heart rate, two lengths of the pool as fast as possible, then heart rate every minute until back to resting, as I recovered faster than those who were good racing swimmers. He thought my partner for the test was counting it incorrectly. So it's a bit weird, back then I was endurance fit to do long bike rides or long swims, but couldn't do anything particularly fast, and running was right out, but really good dynamic range and responsiveness on my heart (I assume there's some actual medical term for that).

I find it hard to go over 190 for the last few years; typical peak effort on a ride is now about 185 (I'm mid-50s), whereas a decade ago when I was doing a lot of Audax riding I'd hit 195 on steep climbs - though this was not sustainable for more than very short periods. When I did a VO2 max test as part of a drug metabolism study about 12 years ago, they stopped the test when I was at 210 and they ran out of bags to collect my exhaled breath. The postgrad uni students doing the testing looked quite worried and kept asking if I was OK...

« Reply #45 on: 12 December, 2023, 08:47:37 am »
My Wahoo monitor has been reliable and relatively comfortable.

However, the Wahoo Fitness app recently upgraded. Since then it doesn't display the 'Time in Zones' properly, putting 100% of the time in Z1.
The heart rate is being recorded properly, and is shown in a graph.
Historic recordings are fine, it is just anything since the upgrade.

Bloody annoying.
<i>Marmite slave</i>