Author Topic: Team Sky Announcement  (Read 17100 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Team Sky Announcement
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »
If Rupert Murdoch thinks cycling is a good thing, I might have to sell my bike.  :-\

+1

He's generally been wrong on every other topic.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2009, 01:38:42 pm »
I think you're all being very unfair on Sky Sports Team.

She's come on here, full of enthusiasm and commitment to our sport and what do you lot do?  Mock her with questions about beards, tweed and picked eggs.  As if she'd understand the subtleties of all our in-jokes. 

Don't we have a culture of being welcoming and inclusive for new members?

I'm shocked and appalled at your behaviour, boys and girls.  See me afterwards.

[/tonguecheek]

I for one was only trying to help.  Perish the thought that I was taking the pi55!

The best piece of cycling kit I have bought recently is a kick stand.  I commend this simple but effective item to Sky's brave attempt to conquer the Tour de France.

« Reply #27 on: 26 February, 2009, 04:54:23 pm »
You lot give cycling a bad name.
Oh lets not be conventional, we're wacky we are, just crazy.
Let's hope cycling doesn't become too mainstream or you'll have to find something else to obsess over.
Cheers!
Julian

« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:29:21 pm »
Medication time, Julian!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:57:04 pm »
Let's hope cycling doesn't become too mainstream or you'll have to find something else to obsess over.
Cheers!
Julian
Thank you for pointing out the error of our ways. I will thoroughly rethink my life. *chastised*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:06:22 pm »
Ah, conventional. My favourite.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:17:33 pm »
If Rupert Murdoch thinks cycling is a good thing, I might have to sell my bike.  :-\

Quite.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:20:54 pm »
Cheers!
Julian

Come on! This is unfair, you lot. You know roadies don't have a sense of humour.

So true, Ian, so true.  ;D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:22:18 pm »
By pure coincidence, I have just received the RCUK newsletter which features this 'press release'. It made me re-read it and ponder just what does Sky get out of "and inspire more people, to get on their bikes and enjoy the positive benefits of cycling.

Is there any possibility, no matter how unlikely, that somebody, somewhere, high up in The Sky, as it were, is actually pro cycling? Or am I just too naive for words?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:24:33 pm »
I think they want us to buy subscriptions to their tellyboxadaptordishes so we can watch their new bicycular team.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »
I think they want us to buy subscriptions to their tellyboxadaptordishes so we can watch their new bicycular team.

OK, I'm too naive for words.

What are tellyboxadaptordishes? Are you suggesting that there are more than two TV channels? If so, will they offer higher quality programmes than those offered by the Beeb? This sounds like an exciting development. I had better sign up for their newsletter.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #36 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »
I think, with Sir Chris and Ms Pendleton (rubs thighs) doing the honours in Peking Beijing, it is perceived among the higher echelons of News International that there may be an emergent TV sport to which they don't own the rights.  Best get in there, then.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:39:58 pm »
I think, with Sir Chris and Ms Pendleton (rubs thighs) doing the honours in Peking Beijing, it is perceived among the higher echelons of News International that there may be an emergent TV sport to which they don't own the rights.  Best get in there, then.

Maybe I should be happy. Perhaps one day I will be able to lean on the bar and join in the blokey sports conversation about cycling rather than nodding vaguely at references to football and horse racing that leave me cold.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #38 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:53:32 pm »

OK, I'm too naive for words.

What are tellyboxadaptordishes? Are you suggesting that there are more than two TV channels? If so, will they offer higher quality programmes than those offered by the Beeb? This sounds like an exciting development. I had better sign up for their newsletter.

Rather than purchasing such an appliance, you could try wrapping your head in tinfoil and adding a wire coathanger to the top of it. This will beam the pictures straight into your brain.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 26 February, 2009, 08:48:40 pm »
I shall just check whether I feel like lining Mr Murdoch's ample pockets by purchasing an idiot lantern and access to a multiplicity of moronity.

No.  We're fine as we are :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #40 on: 26 February, 2009, 08:56:19 pm »
I don't subscribe to Sky.  Does that mean my chances of getting onto the team are reduced?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #41 on: 26 February, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »
Am I the only one that thinks watching cycling on TV is fantastically, amazingly, unbelievably dull?

A daily 10 minutes of TdF/Giro/Vuelta highlights for the crashes, sprints and results and I'm happy. Eurosport is great for this. I have Sky for the Football, Rugby and Cricket.

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with giving that lot (the cyclists) a boat load of cash through sponsorship.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #42 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »
How can this thread be taken seriously when the very first avatar after the new postee did her stuff, is a monkey boy  ;D ;D ??

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #43 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »

Maybe I should be happy. Perhaps one day I will be able to lean on the bar and join in the blokey sports conversation about cycling rather than nodding vaguely at references to football and horse racing that leave me cold.

Oh yes - Plus one
 :thumbsup:

PS - this thread has provided me more entertainment than sky did in total the year or so we subscribed.

First class - well done to the OP, and I didn't even have to pay £40 for the privilege.

m100

« Reply #44 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:39:39 pm »

If that is the case then I'll simply stop watching. If it's not free to view then I either go there and watch it in person, listen on the radio, watch it on a free online stream or simply read about it after the event.   I'm certainly not going to pay for it.  Ever.  and by ever I mean not even if Ms Pendleton  ***** ***** *****  (censored)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »

PS - this thread has provided me more entertainment than sky did in total the year or so we subscribed.

First class - well done to the OP, and I didn't even have to pay £40 for the privilege.

Ah - you didn't realise that, by posting, you've accepted the terms & conditions, and your free trial period in this thread ended six hours ago.  You are now being billed on a pay-per-view basis.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »
So cough up or Roger and I will be round with Mr Larrington's shovel  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #47 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:26:33 pm »
Interestingly (well only slightly) they posted into CycleChat with exactly the same post, although for some bizarre reason posted it in the Touring and Expedition forum first.  I don't subscribe to that many cycling forums, how many others can people spot?

<wonders about publishing the Eye Spy Book of Sky Sports Team Posts>
Actually, it is rocket science.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #48 on: 27 February, 2009, 08:51:27 am »
I don't subscribe to Sky.  Does that mean my chances of getting onto the team are reduced?

We're no longer on Sky.  Will Freeview enter the cycling arena and what will be their objective I wonder?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #49 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:59:33 am »

I for one was only trying to help.  Perish the thought that I was taking the pi55!

The best piece of cycling kit I have bought recently is a kick stand.  I commend this simple but effective item to Sky's brave attempt to conquer the Tour de France.

Ha! - don't listen to him - I reckon he's on commission from the International Consortium of Kickstand Manufacturers and Unipod Fitters and Fettlers (ICKMUFF).  Tried to sell me one for my Felt last time I rode with him!

OTOH, if Sky/British Cycling/Chris Boardman got their collective nous together and produced an aerodynamic, carbon fibre/titanium, UCI-legal kickstand I guess the sport would benefit greatly.  Can I have one in "Liquid Grey" please?

OD's advice on bottle cage alternatives should be fine, unless the TdF plans to incorporate cattle grids.

HTH
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike