Author Topic: On line photo storage  (Read 3196 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
On line photo storage
« on: 24 October, 2008, 09:22:18 am »
I have been using PhotoBucket (the free version) for storing pictures on line, and up to now I have been very happy with it even though it has a maximum size of 1 meg per photo. Recently though the number of annoying adverts displayed seems to have increased to the point of being very annoying. To cap it all, yesterday I accidently clicked on one of the adverts and it was not possible to get out of the page displayed without clicking a button on a dialog box (I closed the browser down). I understand that these sites rely on the advertising for their income, but it is getting to the point where I think it is time to look for another (free) host for my pictures.

I quite like the Google albums and the integration with Picassa, but there appears to be a problem with linking to the images.

What other free hosts are there that -

A. Don't have too many annoying adverts.

B. Have a maximum file size greater than 1 meg.

C. Have a maximum space per user greater than 1 gig.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: On line photo storage
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:39:03 am »
I pay 25 quid a year for Flickr. Does it for me. No limit on number of pics, no real size limit either.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:43:47 am »
I had the free Flickr, then decided that I was going to use it too much and I needed more Sets and upload amount each month. I pay now, like David.

Free was fine though!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:46:47 am »
I pay for photobucket, similar price to Flickr and it works really well.

No ads, 5MB / file, up to 10 gigs of storage.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:00:39 am »
I'm happy to pay for Flickr.  They don't futz with your uploads, so you can use steganography (er, and avoid pesky recompression artifacts).  Plus, Flickr has lots of tasty connectivity - to Facebook, prints, that sort of thing.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:39:41 am »
If you want something really good, you've got to pay for it: www.pbase.com
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2008, 04:40:39 pm »
+1 for pbase I used it many years ago and it was the best at that time and I'm sure that it have only become better.

picasa is good and very simple to use though I'm having problems with linking to the photos from here atm, never had it before.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
Flickr mostly, it's excellent, I also use Photobucket for other public stuff and Snapfish for private family stuff so my Family can access it online.
"Don't stop pedalling"

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2008, 09:56:09 pm »
Flickr. No limit on the number of photos, max photo size is 20MB. If you get a free account you can only access the 200 most recent photos at low resolution, but once you pay for a proper account everything becomes available again. And if you wait till the last minute to renew your subscription, they might give you 3 months free :)
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2008, 04:26:10 pm »
Any other suggestions?

I'm looking for easy use, and linking from forums/facebook.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2008, 08:45:40 am »
Flickr for me too, I have 10s of gigs uploaded.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2008, 12:29:25 pm »
I pay 25 quid a year for Flickr. Does it for me. No limit on number of pics, no real size limit either.

..d

Flickr too.  It hasn't quite got the presentation flexibility I'd like, but otherwise is fine. 

d., US$25... I think.  :)

Here's my public face on flickr  
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 01 December, 2008, 12:42:57 pm »
I'm looking for easy use, and linking from forums/facebook.

For ease of doing all that img code, install the Webmonkey add-on to Firefox, then dig out the Flickr "All sizes" script.  It'll replace Flickr's standard "all sizes" response with a hand-dandy panel for getting thumbnails and links premade in forum or HTML. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bobajobrob

« Reply #13 on: 01 December, 2008, 12:49:05 pm »
Recently though the number of annoying adverts displayed seems to have increased to the point of being very annoying.

Firefox + adblock plus + flashblock for the win! Adverts? What adverts?