Author Topic: Where do you have your prints done?  (Read 2758 times)

Where do you have your prints done?
« on: 03 December, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »
I've just ordered a couple of enlargements from Photobox. Mind you I'm pushing it a bit getting 15x10"; will see what they're like anyway - bit of an expt.

You can set Picasa (or flickr) up to upload directly to Photobox.

For standard prints I have been to Boots in the past; seems easier than online when doing 200+ at once.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

Re: Where do you have your prints done?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »
For 6x4 album prints I have used Jessops, Boots and Tescos and I can't tell the difference (They probably all use the same automatic machine)

I normally do it once I get 100+ to get good deal.

You can get 100 prints for £5 which, to me, seems amazing value.  Jessops do them at 4p each for 200 prints I think.  Ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2008, 01:49:30 pm »
My brother (keen photographer) swears by snappy snaps and I've always had good results from there too, but I guess it depends on which branch, of any chain.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2008, 02:34:28 pm »
Check out  ProAm Imaging professional photography prints

I've still yet to use them myself, but I hear from fussy keen phoptographers that the quality is second to none and yet the prices are low.  The catch is that they don't do any processing whatsoever with the image data you send them.  You have to get the size and colour profile right, and all that.  (This has scared me off, so far).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2008, 03:31:16 pm »
Printing is all pretty much generic now for standard stuff. Unlike the lottery of film processing where things could be trashed by old chemicals, bits of dust etc, modern printing is pretty much of a muchness. A good relationship with the staff at your local print shop can get you personal service and options which aren't on the standard menu as well.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

FyPuNK

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2008, 03:58:50 pm »
For my digital prints (which is rare) I use Peak Imaging. I have been using them for years now. I still use 120 roll and the printers have done superb work for me in the past, but I agree, the machines for digital are monkey proof.

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2008, 04:10:05 pm »
My brother (keen photographer) swears by snappy snaps and I've always had good results from there too, but I guess it depends on which branch, of any chain.

I should have added that he uses Real Film...

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »
Check out  ProAm Imaging professional photography prints

I've still yet to use them myself, but I hear from fussy keen phoptographers that the quality is second to none and yet the prices are low.  The catch is that they don't do any processing whatsoever with the image data you send them.  You have to get the size and colour profile right, and all that.  (This has scared me off, so far).

Looks quite good. e.g. one could get five 15"x10" @ £0.93 each, plus about £5 postage, for under £10 (photobox £2.99 each, and £1.35 postage).  I have CS3 at work, and could install their colour profile, so may give them a go depending on the photobox results.  They seem a lot cheaper.  Haven't got any monitor calibration hardware though.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2008, 05:11:12 pm »
Another one for Snappy Snaps - despite the name and garish logo they produce good quality prints. I've found them helpful and prepared to do a little "creative thinking". For example I wanted panorama printed, Jessops said "no way, we can't do that shape" Snappy Snaps said "we could do that on A3, no problem, whilst we're at it we'll put some extra copies on so you don't waste paper :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 05 December, 2008, 09:44:00 am »
My enlargements arrived.  Good quality, and the file size/MP took the the size of print well.  But the colour is less vibrant than I’d like/what I see on screen; a bit disappointing. This was a bit of a test, so I may just try boosting the saturation etc, or try the likes of ProAm.