Author Topic: difference between photoshop CS and elements  (Read 2734 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
difference between photoshop CS and elements
« on: 29 December, 2008, 04:22:32 pm »
I have decided that I could really do with some imaginative electronic darkrooming of some of my pics. Ie selective merging, tone/colour/sharpening/brightness etc. Cloning out of artefacts as well.

I have access to PS CS3 at the lab, but obviously would rather do things myself at home. So looking at software, what is the panels recommendation? I am tempted by elements 7 but will it do all I need? WHat is the difference between CS3 and Elements 7?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: difference between photoshop CS and elements
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 04:53:45 pm »
I haven't used Elements since v 4 and then only for a short time, so I'm maybe not the best person to comment. The main difference i think is that Elements' adjustment capabilities are a bit more automated/idiot proof. With CS you have control over every aspect. Elements is still good enough for decent colour balancing/sharpening/cloning etc. Its layer mask facility isn't as powerful I don't think, so selective merging is a wee bit harder. There are plug-ins available though.

There's a good article here which lists what you'll miss.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 05:00:19 pm »
I haven't used Elements since v 4 and then only for a short time, so I'm maybe not the best person to comment. The main difference i think is that Elements' adjustment capabilities are a bit more automated/idiot proof. With CS you have control over every aspect. Elements is still good enough for decent colour balancing/sharpening/cloning etc. Its layer mask facility isn't as powerful I don't think, so selective merging is a wee bit harder. There are plug-ins available though.

Hmm.. Looks like I will have to have a play with the free trial and see if it will do what I want.
Otherwise I will have to do some more investigation. Gimp may be a possibility.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:57:38 pm »
 I had a version of elements and it ate up so much memory to do very little, I have tried CS3 and found it did much more and a hell of a lot quicker.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:07:08 pm »
I'm trying to learn Gimp at the moment and am struggling.  I've been using Digital Light & Color for ages but they dont do a mac version - I liked it because it was incredibly 'lite' on system resources, doesnt have layers and was ace for the few things I couldnt do in lightroom.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:15:17 pm »
I'm trying to learn Gimp at the moment and am struggling.  I've been using Digital Light & Color for ages but they dont do a mac version - I liked it because it was incredibly 'lite' on system resources, doesnt have layers and was ace for the few things I couldnt do in lightroom.

I've been using Gimp for a while and am getting on with it quite well - it does get easier to use after a while.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »

I like Gimp - it does most of what full PS does without all the expense. Running through tutorials is always a good way to learn stuff -

Try out the photo editing tutorials here:
GIMP - Tutorials

And
Photo Manipulation | Gimp-tutorials.net - Gimp , tutorials , brushes , downloads, forum.

And
Browse: Retouching Category - Gimpology: GIMP Tutorials and resources for the GIMP