Author Topic: Medium format film developing  (Read 1866 times)

Medium format film developing
« on: 24 February, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
Seeing as they are dirt cheap I'm thinking of getting a Holga for playing about with. I can also get some out of date 120 film for about 50p a roll so I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for cheap mail order medium format processing. I can probably do any black and white stuff myself in the bathroom but it's the look of Holga colour stuff that's interesting me at the moment.

I've seen a few places but any personal recommendations would be appreciated.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Medium format film developing
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »
I've used peak iaging with good results. The lubitel  was fine up to 12" square.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2009, 10:19:27 pm »
Dunns at Cradley Heath near Dudley still run a 120 dev and print service.  http://www.dunnsprophoto.co.uk/
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2009, 03:47:17 am »
Thanks guys.

Peak Imaging was one of those I'd noticed myself on t'internet. Good to get a personal recommendation though. They seem cheap enough. And they do cross processing too. :thumbsup: (I could create the same effect in photoshop of course, but it's just not random enough for my liking.)

Now to find a cheap Holga GN. I just realised the ones I'd seen on ebay within my meagre budget are from Hong Kong :-\.

EDIT: Mmmm. Having looked on ebay a second hand Lubitel 166 is looking like a much better alternative. David, as a Lubitel user, anything I should look out for?

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2009, 03:33:09 pm »
Thanks guys.

Peak Imaging was one of those I'd noticed myself on t'internet. Good to get a personal recommendation though. They seem cheap enough. And they do cross processing too. :thumbsup: (I could create the same effect in photoshop of course, but it's just not random enough for my liking.)

Now to find a cheap Holga GN. I just realised the ones I'd seen on ebay within my meagre budget are from Hong Kong :-\.

EDIT: Mmmm. Having looked on ebay a second hand Lubitel 166 is looking like a much better alternative. David, as a Lubitel user, anything I should look out for?

Not one like mine which unfortunately got reassembled with the lenses slightly out of sync.. (after a bit of creative exploration on my part)

Otherwise there isn't a lot to go wrong with them. If you want to risk one, I can pass you mine to play with. I might look at realigning the lenses first.

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »
If you can find a good one the Minolta Autocord was a TLR with a cracking good lens. It had a slide focus mechanism for one handed operation. That was the part that often went first.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2009, 04:23:02 pm »
David, that's a very kind offer which i may take you up on if I can't find a cheap one locally or on ebay.

Bikepacker, cheers for the recommendation of the Autocord. Looks the business and there are a couple on ebay at the moment. Might try and get a hold of one of those in the future. They certainly seem to have their fans.

I think I'm after something a little less 'polished' though at the moment, if you know what I mean.  The images I've seen from the Autocord look a bit good. It's that lo-fi look I'm after, where the crappiness of the camera plays its part in the feel of the photo too, which is why the Holga (and to a certain extent the Lubitel) would be ideal.

Decision, decisions...

David Martin

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »
David, that's a very kind offer which i may take you up on if I can't find a cheap one locally or on ebay.

Bikepacker, cheers for the recommendation of the Autocord. Looks the business and there are a couple on ebay at the moment. Might try and get a hold of one of those in the future. They certainly seem to have their fans.

I think I'm after something a little less 'polished' though at the moment, if you know what I mean.  The images I've seen from the Autocord look a bit good. It's that lo-fi look I'm after, where the crappiness of the camera plays its part in the feel of the photo too, which is why the Holga (and to a certain extent the Lubitel) would be ideal.

Decision, decisions...

I've dug the lubitel out of the box. It seems fine and I still have some 120 roll film kicking about. Maybe I should bring it down to Edi one day and take over Anths bathroom to do some serious B&W stuff..

..d