Author Topic: Simonp mentioned  (Read 1427 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Simonp mentioned
« on: 29 March, 2012, 10:22:28 am »
Simonp got mentioned by Matt Seaton on the Guardian bike blog

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/mar/28/squeaky-chain-bike-blog

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Simonp mentioned
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:25:12 am »
I thought you were suggsting simon has a squeaky chain :o
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:29:17 am »
I had to oil our babysitter's chain (we've already done the euphemisms on this :)) the other week. Last time I saw her she said she'd bought some oil but admitted that she hadn't used it.

Small steps!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:48:17 am »
Ha - I like the ride-by oiling (and chain-tensioning) suggestion - whilst we're at it, how about tyre inflation as well?

It does amaze me when you see someone struggling along on a (usually) BSO with about 10psi in the tyres and a brown drivetrain - difficult to know how to start helping them really.  I'm sort of with simonp in ignoring them - but then equally, if they give up cycling because the effort is too much then that's not a good thing. 

If I were less shy, I'd probably mention it to people that they should get a £3 bottle of oil and a pump - make their life a lot easier.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:56:39 am »
Sometimes I see people - young men, mainly - riding along on heavy BSOs with rusty chains, wobbly wheels, underinflated tyres and saddles way way too low.  Yet they can make a decent pace.  I sometimes wonder how fast they'd be if they had a decent, well set up, bike.  Our Hoys and Cavendishes are out there... ;D
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:59:35 am »
Good call - I forgot the seat too low, legs out at funny angles - and, yes, some of them can go along at a heck of a clip.  Rather demoralising to be overtaken by one from time to time!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2012, 11:13:13 am »
The most demoralising commute I ever had involved my trying and failing to get away from a bloke on a cheap and nasty 10 speed with an empty baby seat on the back (effectively a parachute). OK, I was on a low geared fixed and a little tired but I was racing at a decent level at the time. A decent bike and some training and I'd not see him for dust...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »
Good call - I forgot the seat too low, legs out at funny angles - and, yes, some of them can go along at a heck of a clip.  Rather demoralising to be overtaken by one from time to time!
And the heels on pedals. That's a very common one, but the only person I've ever mentioned it to was someone I knew quite well - he thanked me and said it made a big difference. I'm not sure how you'd go about telling a stranger they're riding wrong.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2012, 03:35:21 pm »
The first time I did the London-Brighton BHF ride (2004?) I was idly debating with my ride companion if I was 'into' cycling enough to get these fancy clip-on shoes.

He said "You're fat, your seat's too low, your bike is shit and weighs twice what mine does. Don't you dare get shoes, I can barely keep up with you as it is"

I think my chain was squeaking, too.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2012, 03:52:37 pm »
I have mentioned things to people at traffic lights.  I tend to nod at them and say hello and see how they react to that before I offer any advice.   
As long as i am friendly and look like i know what i am talking about,  I have found that people have been pleased to have been told..  Talking to someone when they are riding I reserve for serious problems,  as I have found that to be more problematic.   Not really sure why,  but when stopped people seem happier to chat.

I have adjusted some really bad saddles (down as well as up) pumped up a few tyres, but never oiled anyone's chain,  suggested it mind..
Just someone's butler

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:45:30 am »
I've stopped someone who was about to set off on a bike.  The QRs on the wheels were in the 'open' position, had obviously just been spun tight by hand.  :facepalm:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

John Henry

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:13:41 pm »
A thoroughly cool ex-bike mechanic colleague of mine, Alex, recently spent several minutes in the bike sheds rectifying the problem of someone's forks being on back to front. Their bike doubtless now takes up a bit more room in their shed, but will be less likely to kill them.

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »
Heh. I knew matt had replied to my tweet but didn’t realise he’d quoted it in the blog post as that part doesn’t show up in the mobile version. :)

I replied back saying my first thought was beat them to death with their own rusty chain, but I thought that might be an overreaction.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2012, 05:52:17 am »
I see a lot of disconnected rear brakes. When I point it out the response is either "I know" or "it's rubbing" :facepalm: