Author Topic: eee PC debate  (Read 15789 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
eee PC debate
« on: 12 May, 2008, 03:23:52 pm »
With the continued hogging of the main house PC by first born it looks likely a second PC will be required.

I've been following the eee PC debate for some time and have been idly browsing Expansys and the like - seems desktop Linux is really taking off.

However Linux was met with horror a few years back within the household with my dual boot RedHat/Win 2000 laptop, so I am tempted to stick with XP and all that entails.

The new eee PCs due out do come with XP for the same price (although with 8Gb less disc), but there's a few contenders in terms of OQO, HP and MSI although some have hard drives etc etc.

So I think my question are:

1. Is the size of screen of an issue for normal surfing/the odd bit of document stuff.
2. Is having solid state drive all that good?
3. Is desktop Linux as good as it's made out to be?
4. Why not get a proper laptop from Tescos [one from my wife last night]

The only other software I'll need is some ftp/web page authoring software which I am sure exists under Linux now.

A shitter and a giggler.

Re: eee PC debate
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:27:58 pm »
1. No.  Spreadsheets are a bit of a pain, but word / browsing are fine
2. Yes.  Quick, quiet, easy.
3. Yes.  I've never used Linux and am terrified by it, but this works absolutely fine.
4. It'll break, just like everything from Tescos.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »
1. Is the size of screen of an issue for normal surfing/the odd bit of document stuff.

No

2. Is having solid state drive all that good?

Yes.  It just works.  You want more storage, get an SD card.  Or a USB drive.

3. Is desktop Linux as good as it's made out to be?

Yes.  See above.

4. Why not get a proper laptop from Tescos [one from my wife last night]

Because you want the geek factor.

Because windows is a pain in the neck.  My main laptop went down with terminal virus issues a fortnight ago and I'm trying to find time to wipe it clean and start afresh with Ubuntu.

I've been using my eeePC for all things at home during this time and apart from wanting to watch Dr Who on a bigger screen, it's been fine.

:)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »
The eeePC boots faster than any XP machine  - that's a big advantage.

It comes with all the software you need - and if you do need more, it is there free to download.

ftp is fine - I use FireFTP but there are others.   Web authoring also - there's loads.

However, if I wanted a budget machine that had a bigger screen & keyboard I would buy a cheapo Win laptop - and put Linux on it.

If you need something cheap, fun, small and effective, get an eeePC.  If portability isn't an issue, go to Tescos.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:42:50 pm »
Great  - that's praise enough for it. There is a certain amount of geek appeal which works both ways - attractive to me and repelant to every one else in the family.

I'm very attached to my iPAQ PDA and the "always on" feature is something I never get bored of.

There's a black ASUS PC900 due out soon, the white just would not stay for long and might be mistaken for a Mac.

I guess the only think I'd miss would be something like Memory Map, but in all honestly I can't see me wanting to plot routes whilst on the go.
A shitter and a giggler.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:44:05 pm »
I guess the only think I'd miss would be something like Memory Map, but in all honestly I can't see me wanting to plot routes whilst on the go.

MM works via Wine-doors, I have it running on a box at home...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:48:51 pm »
The eeePC boots faster than any XP machine  - that's a big advantage.

I only boot up my (normal) laptop once a week (so that I grab the appropriate updates). When it's not in use I put it to sleep by closing the lid. Opening the lid and it's usable in 2 or 3 seconds. I've left it in sleep mode in my bag over a weekend once and the battery wasn't near exhaustion.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:04:42 pm »
I don't use sleep mode as the battery does run down over time.   I just hibernate mine (again triggered by just shutting the lid).  It boots from the hibernation file in only a few seconds straight back to whatever state I left it in (e.g. open folders, documents, web pages etc)

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:05:07 am »
Similar question really. I have a FaceBook addict in the house. This means that my access tot eh Pc for genuine things like work related Photoshopping stuff is strictly limited. I assume that an ePC would handle a standard browser?

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:09:29 am »
yup, very nicely.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:14:51 am »
Any suggestions on a useful external power supply when out and about - my battery life is rubbish?

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:08:42 am »
I've just got a 3G PAYG modem for mine - got it to connect OK just now and I'm typing this using it.

Very impressive.  A claimed 3.6 MB/s, but I think it's a bit less :)

« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:25:44 am »
I'd quite like one of these and run a word processor with voice recognition.   Can Linux run any decent VR software and would the eee be up to it?

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2008, 11:30:32 am »
Can Linux run any decent VR software

It seems that the answer is "not quite yet" unless you want to mess about with Win emulators

Speech recognition in Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and would the eee be up to it?

Yes.  It's a full-spec PC.  You might need to bung a bit more memory in it, but 2 gig only costs £20 or so and it's not a bad thing to do anyway.

Edit: but the latest version, with a bigger screen, has an XP option.  That should run your VR software just like any other Win PC

« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:39:28 pm »
Hmm.  Not there yet then  :-\

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2008, 01:02:21 pm »
Hmm.  Not there yet then  :-\

Well, you could get a Win XP eeePC 900.  That would do it.

Asus Eee PC 900 Ultra Mobile Laptop

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2008, 01:11:19 pm »
Hmmm.  Possibly.,

« Reply #17 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:41:53 am »
I have bought an Eee PC. I chose the white 2 Gb one. It is a brilliant gadget - with quirks. This is what I've noticed:

The good:

- Brilliant price. Super small, light, feels solid, looks nice, starts quick. On-button to fully functional in 30 seconds. Off in 5 seconds.

- The keyboard gave me finger trouble at first but I'm used to it now and it's pretty good. The trackpad is fine and the vertical scrolling function at the side of the trackpad is often useful. Works great with an external screen, USB keyboard and USB mouse. 1024x768 resolution appears like magic on an external screen.

- Wireless networking has worked fine for me so far. Doing wireless surveys with the Eee PC is a treat. Wired networking works fine.

- Endlessly customisable. Maximum twiddle factor (features that are fun to play with and possibly useful). Fantastic "eeeuser.com" wiki and forums. A whole world of Linuxy goodness to explore. The ability to zap the computer back to its factory configuration with the F9 key during boot is brilliant and works in 1 second flat. First thing I did with the help of "eeeuser" was replace the default "Easy" desktop with IceWM, like so:

The bad:

- YouTube videos sometimes hang the Firefox browser when you click the Back button, ie when you navigate in YouTube back from a page containing a video, to another page that also contains a video. This is the worst fault I have found. The only way to proceed is to kill the Firefox processes or restart the machine.

- The Eee PC is quite a bit hotter than I thought it was going to be. Processor temperature reaches 60 degrees and you can feel the heat through the keyboard which is a disappointment.

- Battery life, 2 and a bit hours? I fully charged it up, then before I knew it said "Battery charge is low" and I thought, "Already?"

- 2 Gb model only has 350 Mb free storage space for user data and additional programs. OK so I knew the 2 Gb solid-state hard drive is used for a backup copy of its own data but I didn't realise it would be that much.

And the quirky:

- The "Easy" tabbed interface, well I got tired of that very quickly. It is, er, characterful. Asus haven't really thought it through. Some icons are like folders, leading to another pageful of icons, but they don't look like folders. Some applications, such as Photo Manager, appear full-screen the first time launched but then only part-screen on the second occasion. File Manager appears on Work tab but not on Play tab, even though you still need to manage files when at Play.

- It's a bit irksome that there's no option to "Show characters while typing" while entering a long WEP or WPA key. I wish I didn't have to keep pressing the "Refresh" button on the list of wireless networks.

- The frame-rate when playing YouTube videos is not brilliant but acceptable. Processor (CPU) usage while playing YouTube videos is over 60% which isn't very healthy. I think this caused by is the relatively slow processor combined with Adobe's notoriously inefficient Flash streaming-video implementation on Linux.

- There's no LED light on the Ethernet socket. I miss that LED because it is useful when you've got a dodgy Ethernet cable.

- No dial-up modem built-in. I still need dial-up sometimes. To get a USB dial-up modem to work with the factory Xandros Linux, you have to be very careful which modem you get and you have to customise the Eee's software using the advice on eeeuser.

- The version of the Firefox browser is 2.0.0.9 which is old now. I haven't figured out how to upgrade it.

- Default fonts in terminal "xterm" far too small for me. That was the first thing I had to change.

- I chose the 2 Gb Eee, not 4 Gb. I found it absolutely littered with references to software that isn't installed. For instance, the Photo Manager program contains menu item "Edit photo with - The Gimp" but The Gimp is only installed by default on the 4 Gb.

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:10:41 am »
My understanding is that the 2G also has a different processor speed than the 4G, which may account for some of the issues.

Mine doesn't get hot - much less so anyway than the duo core laptops I use mostly. 

I've put 2 gigs of memory, eeeXubuntu, Gnome, a 3G modem and a big storage card in mine, which makes it pretty-much equivalent in performance and software to my day-to-day work desktop.  The only bug I have is that when  you shut down it goes into standby and can't be brought out of it again. The solution is to hold he power button down to kill it.  I suspect there's a fix now but I haven't bothered looking.

Battery life is in excess of 3 hours with the wireless off, a bit less with it on.  Having the camera disabled in BIOS helps with that.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #19 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:40:31 am »
I've just bought the 4gig one, and haven't as yet noticed that photo manager also links to Gimp (must check that tonight).

Only problem so far, (but critical) is that I can't get it to talk to my home wireless network.  It sees it, it engages in a conversation with it, and comes up with a complex message which seems to imply the password was wrong (wpa-psk encryption) but it most categorically is not. I wonder if the passphrase fomat is not acceptable to the Eee's system, even though it is to the Netgear router?  It is two words with a space between.  I can't work out how to change it, mind you!  I am a total know-nothing about the whole issue of wireless, and only installed the router and connected the conventional laptop, by following the instructions.

Otherwise, the Eee is just fine.  Good for taking documents to meetings, usable on trains.  I was amused to note it spotting wireless networks alongside the track when coming back from Waterloo on Saturday.  I presume ones labelled as "Sky" are sky+ boxes?
Wombat

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:46:44 am »
I have mine connected wirelessly to a Netgear router using WPA-PSK.   Maybe it is the two-word password; to change it connect to the router using an ethernet cable, open a browser and point it at 192.168.0.1 and it'll open the router setup.  You'll need the admin password, which is "password" unless you've changed it :)

The only network issue I've had is a reluctance to connect to WEP networks.  WPA has been fine.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:00:22 am »
Thanks for that!  The main PC is ethernet connected to it.  and yes, I have changed the admin password when I installed it, and again when I was playing a couple of days ago.  I just failed to spot the wireless passphrase change thing, but I was feeling pretty ropey at the time.  If I get stuck, I'll try to copy the "connection not made" message I get back on the Eee and see if anyone can undertand it.
Wombat

Wibble

« Reply #22 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:45:10 pm »
I was amused to note it spotting wireless networks alongside the track when coming back from Waterloo on Saturday.  I presume ones labelled as "Sky" are sky+ boxes?

Sky is an ISP too, and ludicrously cheap for those that already have sky tv.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #23 on: 28 May, 2008, 04:56:13 pm »
I love seeing this sort of thing...
The other major component upgrade is the amount of storage on offer. The original 701 had only 4GB of storage, while the 900 comes in two configurations - one with 12GB of storage and the other with 20GB. There's no difference in price between these two versions because the 12GB model comes preloaded with Windows XP, while the 20GB version is running Linux. Basically Asus has used the money saved by installing an open source operating system to increase the storage.
From a review of the Eee PC 900

I sooo want one of these. But I just can't justify it at the moment.  :'(
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #24 on: 29 May, 2008, 01:18:08 pm »
There is a pricing lunacy going on atm. 2nd-hand eees' are selling for near new prices on ebay, and new machines are MORE on ebay than they are from ebuyer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>