Author Topic: eee PC debate  (Read 15798 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: eee PC debate
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2008, 05:06:19 pm »
OK, then, I'll sell you my week old Eee 4G in glistening pearly white, for £250, to help me sensibly finance a 900....

£219 from, of all people, PCworld, it cost me, and I got intelligent and polite service, too!
Wombat

« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2008, 08:38:15 pm »
- Battery life, 2 and a bit hours? I fully charged it up, then before I knew it said "Battery charge is low" and I thought, "Already?"

I used it to watch films on the train down to the southwest last weekend, and got pretty close to four hours use out of it (although I didn't time it).  This was with the Wireless and Camera turned off, and the screen brightness turned down a fair bit though.
Actually, it is rocket science.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #27 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:42:10 pm »
Having looked closer at these new fangled tiny things of desire there's also an HP 2133 £350, 120gb hard drive [not solid state] but still Linux. or £410 for Vista.

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=163945

Looks a slightly better deal. if perhaps not as robust.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #28 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:56:35 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #29 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:27:45 pm »
How would data be recovered from the Eee's internal solid state drive, if the Eee cannot be started? For example, because the motherboard has failed? Is it possible to open the Eee and remove the SSD?

« Reply #30 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:55:01 pm »
From the regular backups you made.

In my case, I'm using the SD card for storing my files, so I'd just take it out. Then I'll make backups of the system configuration in case I need to rebuild it.

« Reply #31 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:55:17 am »
A friend has just offered to sell me his 4GB 512Mb version of the first lot of eeepc's (no webcam, but then I have a webcam on this laptop & I never use it, so not bothered about that), as he has himself a new one. 

I want it for hoicking off with me when I go abroad (am not bringing my lovely lovely Mac) - so it'll be used for text, occasional web-browsing, email.  Should I be looking at upgrading any bits of it?  Or will that do what I want?

(It has SD extension slots, right?  So I can get a handful of SD cards for extra storage - e.g. for taking music with me, or for loading camera photos onto & sending them back home.)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #32 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:00:18 am »
The Ubuntu Netbook remix looks like a nice skinny thing for eee-fiends:

Ubuntu Netbook Remix looks great - Boing Boing Gadgets

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #33 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:48:39 am »
Juliet, I think it will do what you want. The Eee has the ability to make resized (scaled down) copies of the photos before you email them, which might be useful.

« Reply #34 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:22:42 am »
..(It has SD extension slots, right?  So I can get a handful of SD cards for extra storage - e.g. for taking music with me, or for loading camera photos onto & sending them back home.)...

It'll actually take SD-HC cards, which is good since SD cards would limit you to 2GB.  I've got an 8GB play.com card in mine, and they are about £15 each.  You can get up to 32GB cards, but I suspect you'll pay a premium for cards that big.

« Reply #35 on: 04 June, 2008, 11:08:13 am »
Ah, right, top stuff.  I'll wait a month or two before I get any of those - they'll probably have dropped another ten quid by then... 

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #36 on: 04 June, 2008, 11:51:18 am »
Anyone know what the power supply etc is like for travel purposes, say if you took one with you to the US where they have 110V, can you just use an adaptor or do you need a separate 110V PS?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 04 June, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
well here is something for you all to play with :)

Eee PC: Modder Discovers Eee PC 901 is Most Hackable Yet
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

bobajobrob

« Reply #38 on: 05 June, 2008, 01:36:56 pm »
It looks like there is going to be a new OS for the eee and suchlike, called Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It looks pretty nifty too. See here.

« Reply #39 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:51:52 pm »
Sorry, contrary to my earlier statement, the 4 Gb Eee does not have the ability to resize images out of the box. The menu item is there in Photo Manager, but the required program (ImageMagick) is not installed by default. Therefore, when you try to resize an image, you get an error. The same applies to The Gimp, the photo editing program. The menu item "Edit photo in - The Gimp" is provided in Photo Manager but The Gimp is not installed so you get an error.

To fix these problems, follow the instructions in "Sources for Software" on http://wiki.eeeuser.com/
then as root, issue this command:
Code: [Select]
apt-get install imagemagick gimp

Wombat

« Reply #40 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:40:03 am »
I'll no doubt need to do that too!  I've had very little time to play with it, but I'm going on hols tomorrow, and need to get connected for using wireless hotspots.  I was considering a month with The Cloud, at a paltry £6-99, but then I hit a silly obstacle.  Where the hell is the MAC address of my Eee hidden?  I need it to set up the cloud account.

So far I've not connected it to anything, and haven't had time to explore much.

William
Wombat

« Reply #41 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:10:58 am »

« Reply #42 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:12:44 am »
Wombat, to get the MAC address use the command line.

On the eee, hit the key combination Ctrl-Alt-T
This will open a command line terminal.

Type "sudo ifconfig -a"
This gives you a list of all network interfaces on the system.
The wireless adapter is the one called ath0
(there is an Atheros chipset, hence ath)
The MAC address is the set of numbers following HWaddr.

« Reply #43 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:17:45 am »
...and it should be a twelve digit hex address, with pairs of digits seperated by colons eg something like: "12:34:56:78:9A:BC"

« Reply #44 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:44:43 am »
I can has eeepc! 

(Not using it atm, am at work.)

It is v cute & shiny.  I've got the "advanced desktop" version of the Xandros software installed, & not sure it's worth switching to Ubuntu.  Except possibly in order to get LaTeX, but if I *really* need LaTeX I can always shuffle whatever it is onto another machine & run it there.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:49:42 am »
Yay!

It was when I saw you fondling my one* that I knew it was only a matter of time...

*eeePC, that is  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #46 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:55:56 am »
It is SO CUTE!  (And, more importantly, extremely well-suited for taking to Foreign Parts with me, which is why I have finally forked over the readies.)

Now, off to find an SD card, because I seem to have only about 500MB space left on the hard drive (cannot work out where the rest went...)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
7dayshop is offering such thing at ludicrous prices, Juliet.  I've bought several cards from them, VAT free, 'cos they're in the channel islands  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #48 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:08:56 am »
play.com even cheaper (thanks to whoever recommended them upthread) - £14.99 for 8GB. 

Wombat

« Reply #49 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:16:54 pm »
You lot is geniuseses!  Thanks, MAC address duly uncovered....  I'm learning, (slowly).

Dunno why it is, but I can build PCs no problem, and fix almost anything, but anything to do with networking, I'm done for.
Wombat