Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 24397 times)

Doorstep Milk delivery
« on: 06 December, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
Some years ago we gave up on the bottle delivery and went plastic like the other 99+% of the 2000s population. In recent years we've had an arrangement with our local organic shop to deliver milk a couple of time a week as we were on the route of their veg delivery round. Unfortunately the new owners of the business have turned it vegan so we're back on lugging milk from Sainsbury's local.

So I'm toying with trying milkperson delivery again. Glass bottles appeal too,  rather than adding to the plastic mountain.

Anyone else gone back to bottles and think it's worth it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:27:07 pm »
Milk bottles delivered/ collected for over a decade here.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:36:24 pm »
Being 4 floors up & behind 3 locked doors it's not really practical.   Think the parents still get deliveries but cartons rather than bottles.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »
We are just getting deliveries back here in our small Wye Valley village.  We are pretty much unanimously supporting it, including, as it does, locally sourced bread, butter,q cheese and bacon.  I am not unhappy about this! :)

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:04:08 pm »
Never stopped here in North Yorkshire. Been getting milk deliver to the doorstep for all of the 23 years we have lived in this tiny village. Milkman gets here even when the postie and delivery drivers say they cant make it due to snow etc.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:05:41 pm »
I have noticed that bluetits have forgotten how to peck through the foil caps and get at the milk though. When I was a kid they were always doing it now it never happens.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:06:33 pm »
My milk is delivered by milkandmore.co.uk, now part of Müller, three times per week.

A pint of semi-skimmed in a glass bottle is slightly more than a 2 pint plastic Sainsbury's bottle.

My milkman delivers 7 pints per week, compost for the garden and occasional 'distress' purchases, which is handy for a car-free household with a housebound inmate.

rr

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:32:50 pm »
I have noticed that bluetits have forgotten how to peck through the foil caps and get at the milk though. When I was a kid they were always doing it now it never happens.
Once the blue tits had opened it our dog used to drink the top third of the bottle.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2019, 11:02:04 pm »
Most milk is homogenised and many now take semi-skimmed, so the tits get scant cream should they peck the tops.

Milk firms sell cool bags and milk minders which keep the tits out...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2019, 11:27:23 pm »
We do have a bottled milk delivery here in Llandismal, but our milk consumption is so random that we can't really commit.
Luckily they supply the local (not very) supermarket so we are able to buy bottles there as and when. 
Bit of a pain having to take the empties back.  Particularly when I've forgotten several times and have to lug a large bag full.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2019, 10:50:36 am »

Morphic resonance at work? Helly's answer seems plausible, but I remember when bluetits were able to distinguish between full cream and buttermilk by the colour of the tops.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2019, 10:52:10 am »
We don’t. We could I think, our neighbour does, and he’s an early bird, around 4:30. We buy 2l containers and freeze them.  Recently the thickness of the (Tesco) plastic bottles has got thinner still (no bad thing, the farm shop ones are at least double the thickness) so one or two split ones due to expansion. However milk containers are one of the most recycled of plastics, the tops being coloured recycled container plastic.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2019, 11:11:09 am »

Morphic resonance at work? Helly's answer seems plausible, but I remember when bluetits were able to distinguish between full cream and buttermilk by the colour of the tops.

I suspect birds aren't too stupid. If one top is YUM and another is f*cking close to water they'll both learn by association and quite possibly pass this knowledge onto their young.
Milk deliveries were daily back then and delivered milk might have been warmer. The milkman of my childhood was still on his rounds at 4pm, after being out all day and an extended 'coffee' break with Mrs ? at #** on our street.

Our milk is now delivered between 2-3am three times per week.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
One of the neighbours used to. I think it was Milk & More and therefore presumably, as Helly says, plastic bottles. I can't ask the neighbour because she died last winter.  :(

There is a shop nearby that's recently installed a machine to fill your own milk bottles. You can bring your own bottle or buy a glass 1-litre bottle for £1. The milk is unhomogenised, so nice and creamy.  :) They've installed this at the request of the dairy, which is in Bruton (Somerset) but maybe there's something of that kind near you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
I have GLASS bottles from Milk and More and plastic from Sainsbury's.
(I have just checked what I posted upthread.)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »
Are McQueens in your area?

They seem to have expanded significantly recently well away from their St Andrews / Glasgow bases and into England.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:52:20 pm »
Ditto, glass from M&M here too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2019, 10:12:31 pm »
I have GLASS bottles from Milk and More and plastic from Sainsbury's.
(I have just checked what I posted upthread.)
So you do. Sorry. Memory cells fading.  :hand:
(In fact, I thought I remembered clinking glass sounds when I occasionally used to hear the Milk & More van – only very occasionally cos it used to be around 4 a.m. – but was sure you'd mentioned plastic, so...  :facepalm:)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2019, 10:34:58 pm »
The thing about the old milk floats is that they sound like a startup

- milk delivered to your door
 - our delivery system is electric vehicles
 - the staff work for us for peanuts
 - promoted by a viral video featuring Benny Hill

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 08 December, 2019, 09:02:44 am »
Curious system around here: folk would hang a bucket on their fence with clothes-pegs clipped on the rim to indicate the number of litres they wanted. The milk came in 1L plastic sachets rather than poured into the bucket, though.

Haven't seen that for a year or so, I guess the supermarkets have clobbered it, as with everything else.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 08 December, 2019, 10:06:42 am »
I recall milk in plastic bags in Oz when I was small, along with delivery bottles. I think it is mostly supermarket plastic there now.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #21 on: 08 December, 2019, 11:04:02 am »
I recall milk in plastic bags in Oz when I was small, along with delivery bottles. I think it is mostly supermarket plastic there now.

When cartons first became a thing, I remember an old man saying, "Strange people, the English. They have milk in paper bags."
Jennifer - Walker of hills

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2019, 12:32:30 pm »
Plastic sachets and a 'jug-it' jug for them were a Thing around 2010.

Discontinued after I'd bought a few jugs...

ian

« Reply #23 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:01:07 pm »
I pass a Milk & More depot on my travels through the steppes of South Croydon, so I guess it's a thing even in the Big Smoke. That said, not seen anything more local. Milk delivery was a big thing when I was growing up, of course, mostly to support the 'he looks like you he does' meme used when defaming someone's parentage.

I'm not sure, to be honest, who needs so much milk. I'm sure we used to get several pints a day back then. We get a box of UHT semi-skimmed and it lasts for ages. Perhaps they bathed, like a cheaper version of Cleopatra, in gold top.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 08 December, 2019, 01:04:18 pm »
I'm not sure, to be honest, who needs so much milk.

It's to make the cornflakes more sexy.