Linked Events

• SEG 75: 21 February, 2010
  • CTC SEG 75 Mile Reliability Ri: 20 February, 2011

Author Topic: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)  (Read 28847 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: SEG 75 - Sunday 20th February (Essex)
« Reply #175 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:06:53 am »
It's me!I'm the damsel in the pink,hello everyone.I only started riding last year and this was our first 75mile ride,and yes we was a nightmare with the maps punctures etc,god knows how many times the lovely father Xmas(sorry that's what we named u)had to keep redirecting us!but what a nice bunch of people you are,stopped and changed tinas tyre by Adams dad(sorry don't know name again)and looked after us for the rest of the ride.I loved it and can't wait to do the 100mile ride,thanks again for looking after us,we learn fast,us Essex girls(just can't read maps).and my pink top,italia?wondered what all those letters were.....

Welcome indeed! Everyone calls me Father Christmas. Even Father Christmas. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #176 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:15:50 am »
Welcome indeed! Everyone calls me Father Christmas. Even Father Christmas. ;)
Wow lines up another stoker victim?  ::-)

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #177 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:47:13 pm »
Shaftesburyrider, if you were one of the riders who shouted at us that we were too far out into the road when we were fixing a puncture and have apologised for this, please accept my apologies for loudly calling you a wunch of bankers! :)

Hi Pink Lady.  Glad you enjoyed it and TBH, it wasn't a very easy day, what with the bitter NE wind.  Hopefully next ride will be easier and in all fairness, if you can do 75 miles, 100 miles will be easy.

You've obviously heard of the Tour de France yellow leaders jersey; your pink one is the equivalent leaders jersey of the second biggest tour out there, the Giro d'Italia (Tour of Italy). It's pink because that's the colour of the pages of La Gazzetta dello Sport , the Italian sports paper that's one of the races main sponsors.
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #178 on: 23 February, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »
Hello all, it's good to read about other on the route because we started at about 9 and I manahed to puncture while foolish hopping from pavement to road after the early ford and landed the back wheel plus pannier squarely onto something very hard under the edge of the water, putting a horrid ding in the rim, the first tube was clearly not repaired properly and by the time I'd changed it again most of the ride had gone past, travelling at the lady wife's average speed of 11mph, dropping to 10.1mph by the end we certainly didn't pass anyone

The clubs tore past us a litle later and it was a lng day out on our own thereafter, we made check1 just, check 3 where three very nice old buffers did us coffee and banannas and after that not a soul, a new gpd did us proud as regards route although I might have struggled wihtout the route sheet too

the pubs looked awfully good but we dare not stop, the wife came near to bonking at 50 miles and just about kept going thereafter, things of course got grim as it got dark and we got ont the busier roads outside Billericay, the last proper direction to count roads and take the seventh right was not nice to slowly decipher under passing street lights, thank heaven for the gps on that one

company would have been nice, we saw some faces passing us heading home as we crawled to the centre of the figure of eight going north

oh well, I certainly enjoyed the Essex back roads, not sure I've ever seen so many grass triangles and barns in my life, the wife is till undecided and is presently saying 60 miles is her limit, that or summer rides only

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #179 on: 23 February, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
That's a pretty good speed for a tandem in my book - our tandem speed is rarely in double figures.

Are you Essex-based? If you fancy a few pub-laden tandem - or solo - rides, just let us know!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #180 on: 23 February, 2011, 05:33:53 pm »
Thank-you although we were both on road bikes ...

I am of course very fast indeed but the wife is a recent convert and has only been off the MTB for a few months, thiswas a monster ride for her and she was rather nervous, wit casue sadly by the end

We're in London E4 although Billericay wasn;t much over 30 minutes drive on a Sunday morning, those pubs looked so good

We have spoken briefly on the odd Fnrttc

My limted knowledge of tandems is mostly based on drafting Charlotte and partner once and it seemed to be going rather well

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #181 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:08:11 pm »
There were four fair damsels in our group,as follows:-

Damsel One - All in black
Damsel Two - Red bike with a pink/red hooded top
Damsel Three - In a bright pink Giro d'Italia leaders jersey
Damsel Four - Fluo yellow top

Any Damsels who need help on future rides, you know where to find me :thumbsup:
(I ride a white steed and can change inner tubes fairly quickly)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies