Author Topic: Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor  (Read 4110 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor
« on: 17 November, 2010, 05:09:41 pm »
Seeing as the weather's now turned colder, now is the time to start planning for that hardy perennial, the Christmas Night Ride to Bognor, which I've scheduled for Friday 3rd December.  Maybe this year, we'll actually get to run it!

So, usual thing, start from Hyde Park Corner, London Town at midnight, a nice run through the streets looking at all the Christmas tat bargains in the shop windows, bypass the drunks, then head out of London, probably via Dorking, for the halfway stop at Pease Pottage services, just south west of Crawley, which will come as a real shock to the 2 guys working in the Costa Coffee there, as they normally only have about about 1 or 2 cars showing up at 3.30 am.

And then it'll be off again into the darkness, where it's likely to be cold, very cold.  There'll be a grind up the South Downs, and then a lovely descent past Arundel and then it'll be just about flat for the last few miles.  No flint paths or walks through fields/stiles are included on this ride.  Then as dawn eventually breaks, and the sun pops a weary beam in your direction, you'll be in time for breakfast at the Lobster Pot Cafe at Felpham, just next to Bognor.

Total mileage will be around 73 miles or so.  Pace-wise, we won't go too fast (where have you heard that before), intending to arrive at 8 am.  If there's torrential rain/ice/snow/tornadoes, then we won't go.

Warm clothes almost certainly essential.  Christmas outfits are optional but welcome.

There are 4 trains an hour back from Bognor to London Victoria - 2 direct and 2 requiring changes at Barham and Horsham (which are quicker than the direct trains).  Alternatively, you can go via Brighton.

Anyone else interested?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2010, 05:19:53 pm »
Ah, another ride to add to the list of rides I'll be missing because I'll be across the pond.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2010, 05:24:20 pm »
Shame.  My standby list of other dates, in case of bad weather is 11th December, 17th December and 7th January.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:34:50 pm »
Hmmmmmm......

A forecast of no rain.
Temperatures nowhere near freezing.
And not much in the way of a headwind......

..... and I might be interested  :)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:39:06 pm »
Hmmm....As you all know, for someone in my line of work, December's block-booked, no chance of leave etc, but 3rd should be just about doable (I'll be back to a 2130 finish, but I should be able to wangle getting out the door in time to make the train for Waterloo). The all-you-can-manage overtime doesn't start until the following weekend (if there is any on the 4th, I'd rather do this anyway!). 11th (Saturday?) & 17th are out for sure, 7th Jan would be fine.
If anyone fancies getting the train from Pompey instead, that'll get you past the ton ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:46:17 pm »
11th December: What are the odds of me making it down from the 'Uts in time?  ::-)

17th December: Very doable. :)

7th January: Christmas Day?!? :o

Whenever you go, hope you guys have good weather and lots of fun.  :D

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Amphibitile

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2010, 02:10:23 pm »
If the weather's decent I should be coming :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »
Hmmmmmm......

A forecast of no rain.
Temperatures nowhere near freezing.
And not much in the way of a headwind......

..... and I might be interested  :)

Well, so far it looks like there won't be any liquid rain.  However, it could well be the solid, cold sort.

It looks increasingly likely that the tradition will be upheld, and this ride won't take place again!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
Re: Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor (NOT RUNNING)
« Reply #8 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:16:35 pm »
Reluctantly (although not surprisingly) I'm cancelling postponing this.

It's clear there will be more snow in the next few days, which will melt during the daytime, but at night, out in the sticks, there will be ice, which just is too risky on this sort of ride.

So, next attempt will be Friday 17th December.

Re: Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor (NOT RUNNING)
« Reply #9 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:24:17 pm »
Reluctantly (although not surprisingly) I'm cancelling postponing this.

It's clear there will be more snow in the next few days, which will melt during the daytime, but at night, out in the sticks, there will be ice, which just is too risky on this sort of ride.

So, next attempt will be Friday 17th December.

Dijon Vu?

The same mustard you had yesterday  ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:28:06 pm »
 ;D

Might warm us up!

« Reply #11 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »
;D

Might warm us up!
Depends where you put it - it's not Assos chamois cream  :o

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
Re: Not a New Year Night Ride to Bognor
« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »
Being a glutton for punishment who seems doomed to eternal disappointment with running this ride, as mentioned over on Cycle Chat, another couple of dates have been earmarked.  

No doubt this won't go ahead, but I keep telling myself I'm an optimist.

Anyway, next date will be Friday 21st January with a reserve date of Friday 18th February.

Usual caveats - if there's lots of rain/ice/snow/tornadoes, then we won't go.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #13 on: 16 January, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »
Looking vaguely possible for this Friday.  It'll be cold, clear but above freezing with the possibility of the odd mist patch, and with a nice tailwind.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »
Ohhh, I'm so tempted, but I've been on a calorie deficit for two weeks and I'm heading out for a meal and then to a particularly good cocktail bar on the Saturday.  Not sure I can find the energy for all of it.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
Looking vaguely possible for this Friday.  It'll be cold, clear but above freezing with the possibility of the odd mist patch, and with a nice tailwind.

...and if it's not too cold, I'll be there on the Red bike, for it's first proper outing!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »
Well, we won't be rushing too fast.  Fast enough to keep warm, but not too fast to slip over painfully (hopefully).

« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2011, 04:34:20 pm »
Just for extra sillyness, I'll be using a Eye-Fi card in my camera to upload images directly to Facebook (via the Hot-Spot on my phone).

They should appear here on Facebook.  This should be visible to everyone, regardless of whether you're on Facebook or not.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2011, 01:52:03 am »
Minus 2 in Pompey. It will be at least a couple of degrees colder in the sticks.

H

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »
Just for extra sillyness, I'll be using a Eye-Fi card in my camera to upload images directly to Facebook

Looks as if that all worked really well! Hope it was a good ride. You're all well hard.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »
It was indeed a good ride, despite a couple of mishaps. The weather was pretty much perfect- no frost, no ice, a tailwind. No hardness required there, frankly.
The first mishap: In Mitcham, there's a contraflow in operation on London Road due to roadworks. Braindead driver overtakes us all then turns left, leaving lead rider (me) with nowhere to go. Fortunately no damage to the bike, and nothing more than a grazed wrist for me.
The second: After our halfway stop at Pease Pottage services (slightly more pleasant surroundings than their counterpart at Junction 31), Davy heads out in the wrong direction. H sees Martin and Tim and cuts across the car park to join them, but due to an inoperative lamp post he does not see the kerb in his path. Result, one borked wheel, and it clearly wasn't up in any way shape or form to complete the ride, so he was on his way home to Staines.
Apart from those incidents, pretty much perfect. And Reigate Hill successfully descended :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »
Well, all in all, it (almost) went better than expected (no, really).

During the week, I'd been noting the patch of cloud cover which had generally been sticking over the south east and keeping night time temperatures above freezing.  However, when on Thursday morning due to a clear patch developing, it was very cold with thick ice on the cars, I was starting to get a bit concerned and was considering cancelling.  Fortunately, all the Met sites seemed to agree that the cloud would return on Friday night, and that it would barely get down to freezing.

Setting off for London just before 10 pm, the cars were still clear, but by the time I got towards the centre of London, it was getting colder.  As I was early, I wasted a bit of time by playing with the GPS and zig zagging down roads parallel to the A5.  Regardless, I still got there for around 11.30, just after Stu, where it was freezing (literally).  The other brave souls - Martin, Tim and Davy rolled up within 10 minutes.  Davy seemed a bit "larger" than normal which it seemed was due to him wearing 5 layers of clothes.  He was finished off head to toe in green day-glo outer layers, and the colour did remind me of something, but I didn't realise what it was until Pease Pottage.

As I assumed no-one else was going to turn up, we left at 11.52 pm - sorry if someone had actually turned up at the last minute.  There was no need for a Dellzeqq parting of the seas operation to hold up the traffic, as we just merged into the melee and headed off south west.  By the time we got to Clapham Common, it had got rapidly warmer, and you could have cycled without gloves.  Following on the traditional Brighton FNRttC route, we made steady progress through Tooting towards Streatham, although we were keeping the pace slightly slower than a normal ride, as I didn't want us to get too far south early on, in case of freezing patches .  It was noticeable that there was less night life around, and to everyone's surprise, we all spotted a Waitrose in Balham High Street which we couldn't recall noticing there before.

And then, as mentioned above, someone decided Stu was a figment of his imagination and decided to turn left straight in front of him which happened so fast.  The driver started to move away, but did turn round and come back to sheepishly apologise.  I pointed out he couldn't have failed to see all five of us so why then turn across?    Hopefully Stu's blood stained knuckle will have made a dent in his car.

I don't know what pheromones Stu was giving off to attract further attention, but further on in Wallington going up the hill after the railway station, some yoof decided to start sprinting after him to show how clever he was in being able to run as fast as a cyclist for a short while.  Stu did the right thing and ignored him completely, and when I went past, the yoof was sprawled against a railing trying to breathe.

Out there in the sticks, it had got a bit colder, although it was clear it was well above freezing.  On and on the miles past by, and as we steadily climbed, we ended up in low cloud/fog.  At one point going through Coulsdon, a Land Rover went past making an incredible racket, and leaving a trail of sparks to light up the night, as he was driving on the rear off side wheel.  There was an incedible stench of burning rubber, which fortunately disappeared after a while, as he must have turned off.

And then we were at the top of Reigate Hill................I made a comment suggesting that people take it easy and avoid the cat eyes, so we all girded our loins, and after letting the traditional Royal Mail lorry pass us by, we descended on the brakes (just in case).  After discovering that we'd all survived, we headed off, and turned down Lonesome Lane.  To greet us, not only was there the usual lunar landscape of potholes, but Surrey County Council had surpassed themselves in providing a delightful patchwork quilt of inadequate repairs including 2 holes which they'd kindly lined with tar, rather than filling the complete hole in, to soften the blow as we bounced and jangled around the obstacles, like trying to navigate around a minefield.

All too quickly we arrived in Horley, so we rapidly departed again, using my Gatwick Surprise to go past the Monsoon Shelter on the A23, beloved of previous rides, and head off to go north around Gatwick and then route around the airport.  Sadly, no planes were flying so there's no spotters commentary I'm afraid.  And then we got back on the A23, and by this time Davy was struggling a bit so it took some time to get to Pease Pottage Services.  We were there some time, because not only did we have something to eat, but Davy had to lose some layers, as he was getting rather hot (control yourself ladies).  We probably didn't leave until 5.15 am, with Stu and I heading off first. When we reached the main road again and the others hadn't  caught us after a few minutes, I realised something was wrong and we headed back, to find Davy fiddling with his pride and joy roughly in front of where the red vehicle appears in the middle of this link, to the left of the long green border.  Somehow he'd turned up that section thinking he could exit and due to the positioning of the overhead lights, hadn't noticed the kerb, so it appears his bike stopped and he went flying about 10 feet forward.  Very luckily, he landed on his back which had his backpack, now padded with excess clothes.  I instantly realised what I'd been reminded of at HPC and had this image of Davy as a Ninja Mutant Turtle, flat on his back  (sorry).

Fortunately he hadn't hit anything vital on his body, but Tim spotted his front rim had buckled a bit, meaning one spoke was completely loose.  As there was no way he could continue, he gingerly headed off the 2 miles to Crawley Railway Station.  So that left the 4 of us, to finish the journey.  Off we headed, through Horsham which was quiet but the roads were oddly damp.  The next section is probably my favourite, dropping down through Coolham to West Chiltington.  Fortunately Stream Lane mainly didn't live up to its name, as although there was a far amount of water around, it only briefly covered the road in about 2 places.  It was now light as we still hadn't been rushing, and so we reached Amberley after 7.45 and saw the fields behind completely covered in water.  It must have been at least +5 degrees, if not warmer.  

After joining the B2139, we then had the long slog up the hill to the A29 roundabout, where I could give the happy news that after a short slope up, it was then a glorious 2 mile downhill and then flat to the coast.  We got stopped at the level crossing at Ford (no warning fires were visible), then it was just 3 more miles to breakfast in the Lobster Cafe at Felpham to refuel and then head for the station.

Many thanks to Martin, Tim, Stu and Davy Walnuts for agreeing to come along and for their excellent company.

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »
Sounds like an excellent ride was had by (almost) all, Adam.

Well done to all those who started  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2011, 10:53:28 pm »
Well done guys  :thumbsup:

That Waitrose has been there since before the night rides to the coast started!

Glad hitting the kerb didn't do more damage - when I did a similar move and went over my handlebars about three years ago, I b0rked my elbow most painfully  :-[ This goes a long way to explaining why I am now such an over-cautious wimp.

« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:34:48 am »
That Waitrose has been there since before the night rides to the coast started!

Yes, it was there when I left Streatham and moved to Croydon almost three years ago.  Before that it was a Morrisons (iirc).  Clearly on an actual FNRttC, people are still busy watching the ride rather than looking around at that point!

I'm amazed by the detail with which people recall things on the ride.  Some of what has been described I don't remember at all, other bits I recall when reminded, but otherwise would never have been able to get my brain to admit happened. :)

Davy's wheel was truly borked.  He actually managed to pull the nipple almost through the rim (oo-er missus, as other have said in another place).  I think his forks were OK, although he thought they looked slightly bent, but the wheel only being lightly spoked was very out of shape, and the only way it could turn was by completely releasing the brake.  I briefly tried to tighten the spoke to compensate, but it was far too loose, either due to being stretched by the damage, or more likely the rim being far too distorted.

With a wheel which was at risk of collapsing entirely due to not enough spokage, a very significant dent, and no front brake whatsoever, the only thing Davy could do was cycle to the nearest station very carefully, which was what he did.  He was fairly lucky it was only a couple of miles, there are plenty of places in the ride where you'd have a lot further to go.  Given our gentle pace, I think he must have arrived after (or very close to when) the trains started running, which will at least have given him a relatively painless trip home.

Even after a very moderate pace, on the final hill up to the A29 roundabout, my left knee started being painful, and by the time we got to the end both were hurting if I put more than slight pressure into them.  This was more the effect of me not cycling for more than about ten miles in the previous month, and that was a weekend ago.  Aside from that "lengthy" trip, I'd only done short trips of a couple of miles, and only a handful of those, so my body has obviously started to revert back to non-80 mile trip mode. ;D

It was shame that on a ride which had otherwise almost perfect conditions, Stu got taken out by a stupid car manoeuvre, and Davy by a badly lit car park when in the early hours slightly tired time.

The car driver had little excuse for the SMIDSY, he'd just gone past a bunch of cyclists lit up and high-vised more than your normal bunch of cyclists.  Ho hum.  I didn't see it at all, I think I was the last rider, and with the fencing that the road was blocked with, the other riders, and my own middle of the night awareness (ie dopey) I didn't know anything was wrong until I came to Stu in the middle of the road, although I did stop and position myself then to block any more turning car drivers with a couple of very bright rear lights.

Davy was just a bit unlucky.  When you've just come out of a well lit environment, are probably at the peak point of sleepiness, and trying to traverse the normal car park designers idea of simplicity (ie a torturous serpentine path to the exit), whilst trying to catch up with others on the ride.  We were wheeling very very slowly, but I guess we just looked like lights disappearing into the distance.  The car parking lighting at that point had failed, and it's very easy to miss a kerb when you initially thought it was just clear tarmac.  I've done the same myself with far worse injuries resulting from the miscalculation, I still have the scars (and that's not a joke!)  It's a shame he destroyed a wheel, but he's probably lucky enough that otherwise he only had minimal bruising, and his forks and frame are likely undamaged.  I do like Adam's Ninja-turtle comparison, and he's correct, although the image hadn't clicked with me at the time!

Pease Pottage was possibly the quietest service station I've ever seen.  Aside from us, I think one or two other people came in when we were there.  The guy who served us coffee was probably on the verge of falling asleep, whilst making coffee and dealing with us!  It was nice however to stop, sit down and have a brief rest.  Before then, my back was starting to ache and I felt knackered.  After the stop the only real problem I had was my knees eventually deciding that they didn't like cycling 80 odd miles, and the back problem and general knackeredness didn't really return, which was good.

Many thanks to the rest for waiting a couple of times when I had to stop and swallow some carbs to make sure I didn't pass out.  It probably isn't going to be remembered as a ride of much speed, but we couldn't go too fast if we wanted to arrive after the café opened, which was not a problem as it turned out!