Author Topic: Coast and Castles - September 2015  (Read 1425 times)

Coast and Castles - September 2015
« on: 25 August, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
I have found myself with a surplus of holiday which needs to be used up by the end of September. I was considering doing the coast to coast but came across this which will work out a lot easier on the train. I have family just outside Durham where I would depart.

Is there a route which is suitable for road bikes? I'll have 28c tyres and my friend will be on 25s. I'm a little worried the notes on sustrans which say not suitable for road tyres. Would be recommend the borders or the coast route?

Can anyone recommend a few places to stay en route. I'm thinking b&bs/hostels to reduce luggage. I was thinking 3/4 days cycling getting the train back from Edinburgh to Durham late ont he last day.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Coast and Castles - September 2015
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2015, 09:53:56 pm »
Some sections around Alnmouth and Between Lindisfarne and Berwick would be very poor for the bikes. Options for going round involve going quite a way in land in places. It's worth studying the map and plotting things out beforehand. Despite the surfaces I think it's a nice route. I really liked the section along the Tweed Valley too :)

I rode the whole route last year on a tourer with 35mm Marathons. Write up is here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81089.0 :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:43:59 am »
We did the southern section a few weeks ago on tourers with 25mm tyres on. So long as you have a bit of rubber on the tread and the tyres are in good nick you will be o.k. The tracks make a change from battling cars all the way.
As Mcshroom says there are one or two rough tracks but the only bit that I would not tackle again was the last section into Berwick where you actually cross a field and in wet conditions it would be pretty mucky going. My advice would be to stick to tarmac at Sea House and go uphill to join the A1167. This is the Old Great North road, which is quieter now that it's bypassed and it's a good downhill run into B-O-T.

The track through Druridge Bay country park is o.k. if you take it steady. It's much nicer than the road alternative.
You have to make a conscious decision to go to Sugar Sands beyond Boulmer. It is doable with care , may be a bit of walking , but in the past we have done it with kids in child seats so it's not that bad.

We stayed here http://www.coquetside.com/contact/ on our first night but it is a good hike if you start at Newcastle.  It's right on the harbour and they will put bikes in the garage. Ignore the two nights bit, they were happy to relieve us of our cash for one night.

There is plenty of choice in Berwick, from cheap and cheerful to boutique
http://www.granaryguesthouse.co.uk/ .
We ate at Limoncello, an Italian restaurant at the back of the Kings Arms hotel. Cheap, good and very popular.
We went the Borders route and stayed at Innerleithen, just to make a change from coast but whatever takes your fancy. It's not too stupid hilly and there are coffee and lunch stops at Kelso ,St Boswells, Galashiels or Melrose.

We stayed at http://www.gledeknowe.co.uk/ in Innerleithen and there's a good pub, Traquair Arms,  within walking distance for evening meals. Gledeknowe is geared up for cyclists and lets you put bikes in garage.
Approaching Edinburgh the Sustrans route takes you in a long circle round the city to approach from the east but it is mainly traffic free. if you want to get to the city quicker, other bike routes are available.
If you don't want to stay in the city itself , we have stayed out at Priory Lodge, South Queensferry in the past. Good breakfast IIRC.

Buy the Sustrans map and you can't really go wrong.
Once over the Forth , we followed the Fife Coastal path , but it has more rough tracks than I cared for , especially round Aberdour( ?) where it runs parallel with the railway tracks.   We  would like to  do the C and C Northern route  sometime.
I hope the sun shines on you.

« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »
Thanks both for the information, both of you seemed keen on the borders portion and as a result so do I. This will mean a 4 day tour.

i was actually looking for a recommendation for somewhere to stay in Innerleithen so will give them a call.

Day 1: Will be starting south of Newcastle, in Blackhall colliery and travelling up to Amble. A relatively long day but I know the roads here so shouldn't be hindered by navigational woes.
Day 2: Then Amble to Berwick via a few castles.
Day 3: Berwick to Innerleithen. I,ll make sure to check out the pub
Day 4: An easyish day into the city itself where i will hopefully have a few hours around Edinburgh before getting the train home a 21.00

I've never done any cycle touring before. I am equal parts excitement/ worried about packing too much or too little. I have bought a map, im pretty sure that should be packed.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:26:56 pm »
You will pack too much. Don't worry about that though, just enjoy the ride :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:47:34 pm »
Two small panniers each was all we needed, mind we have done this sort of thing before. Depends on the weather forecast as well.
On that first day, I think it was the area around the Wansbeck estuary that added quite a few miles.
Enjoy the ride and let us know how you get on.

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2015, 11:10:31 am »
I've booked my hotels and the sustrans map has arrived.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2015, 06:43:32 pm »
I've booked my hotels and the sustrans map has arrived.

How did the trip go?

I'm planning for the late October. Map arrived the other week and the route is fairly well sorted for the GPS. Just need to sort out elevenses, lunch and potential afternoon stops. Accom and return train is all booked, just final planning now :) 

This thread has helped a lot lads, so thanks for that :)

I'm riding up from Middlesbrough to South Sheilds, then over to Alnwick YH and then on to BoT, and inland to Innerleithen, and finally up to Edinb, with train back to Boro, a day with family and then driving back home to Essex. 

Looking forward to it, though I think I may need to invest in a new pocket camera before then :)
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »
My trip went really well, an enjoyable ride up to South Shields from Middlesbrough for the start with a café stop at Fausto's and overnight at Annies B&B
Next day, over the ferry and up the coast to Alnwick YH for the second night, lunch at Drift Café was nice.

Following day, first of the misty ones, Up the coast to Berwick, stayed at Kings Arms in Berwick and used Limoncello - good recommendation that!

Next day, off up the hill out of BOT, pea soup fog and my first visit to Scotland.  Tea stop at Hirsel Park and lunch at Floors Castle. Skipped tea in Melrose as from 14:00 it was chucking it down.... which made a long slow slog to Innerleithen in the rain.

Innerleithen, Glade Knowe GH, fantastic... Guy has indeed got the place set up for outdoors people.. even though I was a cold and talking rubbish on arrival, he got me and my bike sorted and after a really good hot shower and nice couple of pints and food in the Traquire Arms I was asleep and rested for the final day in to Edinburgh.

I trundled up the incline out of Innerleithen in just over an hour, in to the wet and windy top and then rapidly down the other side.  Lunch was at Harbour Café in Musselburgh and then on to the city just as the sun came out!  No end of route sign found on The Mound, but I had a good cycle around and took a load of photos before getting the 15:30 train back.

Last bit was the 19mile ride back to Middlesbrough from Darlo station.

So 299 miles in total with some great scenery getting better as I travelled further North!  Only drawback was visitations, it was Hawthorn cutting season, with the record for the trip being 4 visitations, with one double wheel visitation resulting in 6 holes!....

Regards,

Joergen