Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 377907 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #2175 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:42:01 pm »
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2176 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:35:19 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/dad-collects-14000-empty-crisp-4135294
This probably makes audaxers who keep every single brevet card look normal. Perhaps.
OI! I resemble that remark

So do I.

I'm really glad I did. I only rode a few events for a few years and these souvenirs are hardly bulky.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2179 on: 30 May, 2020, 12:50:15 pm »
An emu has been spotted on the loose near Bristol.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/emu-loose-fields-near-hartcliffe-4176821

I reckon it's revenge for this:
https://youtu.be/0r8afyJjOsM
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2180 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:02:00 pm »
Darkness falls in the West of England:
"I took a walk past but saw no evidence of an explosion or any kind of markings. However it was dark.

The fire brigade found nothing solid:
A spokesperson for Avon Fire and Rescue confirmed they were called to the Portway where they found some smoke.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/smoke-loud-bang-heard-near-4188619

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2181 on: 05 June, 2020, 08:07:07 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2182 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:00:06 pm »
Darkness falls in the West of England:
"I took a walk past but saw no evidence of an explosion or any kind of markings. However it was dark.

The fire brigade found nothing solid:
A spokesperson for Avon Fire and Rescue confirmed they were called to the Portway where they found some smoke.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/smoke-loud-bang-heard-near-4188619

Smoke and loud bang heard near Clifton Suspension Bridge

That’s pretty loud smoke!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2185 on: 11 June, 2020, 12:51:59 am »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2186 on: 24 June, 2020, 02:16:33 pm »
Guildford station closed, lines blocked, suspect packages, two controlled explosions.

From the Get Surrey website live commentary:

Another Army truck that appears to be another bomb disposal unit has arrived at the scene. It's pulled up next to the other one and came in with the siren on.

We'll bring you updates on this when we can. It's unclear why a second truck is needed and whether any further explosions are expected.

We're all hoping to see that little robot they use, let's be honest
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2187 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:38:38 pm »
Meanwhile, a long way from London...

Devon off-grid residents used axes to threaten 'doggers'

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2188 on: 06 July, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »

A stunned woman spotted this Marvel-lous cloud - looking just like the comic book hero the 'Silver Surfer'.
It's too bad for the terrible jokes thread.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2189 on: 06 July, 2020, 02:58:14 pm »
Meanwhile, a long way from London...

Devon off-grid residents used axes to threaten 'doggers'
Getting their choppers out in public...
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #2190 on: 07 July, 2020, 09:15:36 pm »
https://asenseofplace.com/2014/03/07/walking-home-from-norris-green/

A very good blog entry describing a walk across Liverpool, with particular attention paid to public housing.   The video at the ends has 1930's footage of the Myrtle Gardens complex , I live in the remaining part of that.  Good solid structures that were left to decay due to inadequate maintenance.  I was looking at the specs for some recently built houses & most of the rooms are smaller than the ones in my tiny flat. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2191 on: 08 July, 2020, 12:18:48 am »
I live in a house that is 200 years old this year. Before this one we had a house about 50 years older. Before that one A bungalow that is now 100 years old and still going, before that again, one 140 years old. I grew up in a house about 250 years old.

On a tour of bits of Belfast being replaced (In c1995) the senior housing person explained that the design lifetime of the wonderful houses being built in place of the Divis Flats was 25 years.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2192 on: 08 July, 2020, 06:56:35 am »
https://asenseofplace.com/2014/03/07/walking-home-from-norris-green/

A very good blog entry describing a walk across Liverpool, with particular attention paid to public housing.   The video at the ends has 1930's footage of the Myrtle Gardens complex , I live in the remaining part of that.  Good solid structures that were left to decay due to inadequate maintenance.  I was looking at the specs for some recently built houses & most of the rooms are smaller than the ones in my tiny flat.

Social housing has minimum room size requirements, albeit these have been watered down in recent years, unlike private housing.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2193 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:53:45 am »
I live in a house that is 200 years old this year. Before this one we had a house about 50 years older. Before that one A bungalow that is now 100 years old and still going, before that again, one 140 years old. I grew up in a house about 250 years old.

On a tour of bits of Belfast being replaced (In c1995) the senior housing person explained that the design lifetime of the wonderful houses being built in place of the Divis Flats was 25 years.

To be fair, the expected lifetime of our (180 year old end terrace farm workers) cottage was probably thought to be 10 years or so.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #2194 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:33:18 am »
I remember both my sets of grandparents who lived in very nice council semis, which were desirable at the time, large bedrooms, indoor bathrooms, dining and living rooms. On nicely laid out estates, plenty of green space, calm roads where kids played outside, people came down to their gates. They had front and back gardens and outbuildings. That would have been the late 70s/early 80s. It possibly was fairly idyllic. I spent most of my childhood with my paternal grandparents in one of those houses (I got the small bedroom, of course, my sister the large). There's a possibility there's still a yellow collection of surreptitiously secreted page 3s liberated from their daily copy of the The Sun at the back of the front room's wardrobe (yes, there was storage space). My other grandparents had an entire storage room.

At the time, my parents lived in falling down house with no indoor plumbing, no toilet, at the edge of a traveller encampment. It did eventually get condemned by the council and through some mechanism it got improved and we, ta-da, had a bathroom and a toilet that wasn't on the other side of a neighbour's garden, behind the angry dog. So then we moved to a more modern 1977 terrace on an estate. It was pretty small then (still is, my parents still live there) but decent. It would have been nice if it had central heating (the council houses got that in the late 70s). I think it was about 1984 that we were finally prised from our much fought-over spaces in front of the gas fire.

I did have a wander around that council estate about a year back. The houses are still there. Most of them seem to have been attacked by some kind of poorly thought-out home improvement scheme (what seriously was wrong with red brick?), gardens have been tarmacked, there's cars and bins scattered everywhere, the few remaining open spaces are scrub (most of them have had small houses squeezed on, including all the garages where I had my formative experiences with a 2 litre bottle of Woodpecker), and generally everything looked scrappy, dirty, and neglected. It looked exactly like what you'd expect a modern stereotype of a council estate to look.

« Reply #2195 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:11:20 am »
I have a theory that as we build dwellings with shorter and shorter life spans, at some point in time every one in the country will collapse at the same time.

ian

« Reply #2196 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:26:19 am »
The Asbestos Palace is a 1966 vintage It's substantial, the walls are solid brick and breeze-block, it's impermeable to wifi and, of course, fire.* Our last house, an actually fairly decent (i.e. not built by one of the usual suspects) new build townhouse was a lot less substantial, timber and plasterboard as far as I could tell. I don't think it would have survived an earthquake. Admittedly, not much of a risk in Anerley.

*lie, it has an asbestos flue buried in a wall that no one removed.

« Reply #2197 on: 08 July, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »
What we also tend to forget  is that those old buildings we see around us now are the ones that were built well enough to survive. There was plenty of shoddy building in the past, Georgian and Victorian speculative builders threw loads of stuff up that was really rubbish often not even bothering with foundations. The term "jerry built" was an early Victorian one to describe such housing. It took the 1875 public heath act which imposed regulation on standards of house building to start to sort it out.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2198 on: 08 July, 2020, 03:54:57 pm »
Some pretty dreadful stuff being erected atm though. Beware the company Range Rovers and Mercs, helicopter or multi million bonuses. The money has to come from somewhere.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2199 on: 08 July, 2020, 04:49:42 pm »
What we also tend to forget  is that those old buildings we see around us now are the ones that were built well enough to survive. There was plenty of shoddy building in the past, Georgian and Victorian speculative builders threw loads of stuff up that was really rubbish often not even bothering with foundations. The term "jerry built" was an early Victorian one to describe such housing. It took the 1875 public heath act which imposed regulation on standards of house building to start to sort it out.

Since forever. Roman insulae were liable to collapse once their owners added a floor too many.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight