Author Topic: Ribble winter/audax mudguards  (Read 10795 times)

Re: Ribble winter/audax mudguards
« Reply #25 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:16:03 pm »
I thought about a trip back up the m6 but my solution of reusing a set of good guards seems to save a lot of hassle on that score. I will keep hold of the supplied guard and fit the rubinos as suggested when the time comes. If the supplied guard fits, then I'm happy, if not I'll continue to use the half guards.

Happy cycling either way!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2014, 01:03:47 am »
Off post but the best Ribble winter/ Audax frame was the black sloping tube version from 2007/2008. 28mm tyres and mud guards or 32mm tyres and no guards.  Why did they drop it and keep going with the blue frame?

My lad has one of these as his winter bike. It's a cracking frame, and very practical. Shame they don't sell it any more.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #27 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:28:20 pm »
I have exactly the same bike, tyres and SKS full length mudguards and have not had a problem, although I have had to remove the rear wheel occasionally to remove the gradual build up of mud.

As posted upthread, some photos might help here.

Ditto. 

My frame was purchased in 2009 and works fine with 23c Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.  The mudguards are made by Tortec and slightly older than the bike, in fact the guards are a bit big as they were designed for 28c (ish) tyres.

« Reply #28 on: 03 November, 2014, 03:58:29 pm »
In my opinion, to be branding a frame as 'Audax', it should really be able to take 25mm tyres with guards easily anyway. Let alone be messing around sizing up different brands of 23mm.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 03 November, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »
In my opinion, to be branding a frame as 'Audax', it should really be able to take 25mm tyres with guards easily anyway. Let alone be messing around sizing up different brands of 23mm.

Despite using my Ribble for two SRs plus sundry other long rides and we have our sights set on the PBP I'm inclined to agree.  It's the only real drawback on what is an otherwise excellent machine.

« Reply #30 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:24:02 am »
I've got full SKS chromoplastics and 25mm Conti Gatorskins and fits OK with the aforementioned rear guard bodge.

I want to swap out the Contis for 25mm Durano Plus though. Before I buy these, has anyone managed this? Not sure if the Durano's extra protection adds more girth than actual 25mm, in which case they might not fit.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:29:55 am »
I've got full SKS chromoplastics and 25mm Conti Gatorskins and fits OK with the aforementioned rear guard bodge.

I want to swap out the Contis for 25mm Durano Plus though. Before I buy these, has anyone managed this? Not sure if the Durano's extra protection adds more girth than actual 25mm, in which case they might not fit.

I dunno, I got rid of my Ribble about 3 years ago  :'(  To be honest I'm not sure there's much difference in ride quality between 23 and 25mm Durano Plus.  When I had my Ribble I found swapping to a pair of hand built wheels (from Harry Rowland) made the most noticeable difference in ride quality.

« Reply #32 on: 18 November, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
I dunno, I got rid of my Ribble about 3 years ago  :'(  To be honest I'm not sure there's much difference in ride quality between 23 and 25mm Durano Plus.  When I had my Ribble I found swapping to a pair of hand built wheels (from Harry Rowland) made the most noticeable difference in ride quality.

Thanks. I'm going to risk it I think. Will update here with any exciting developments.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2020, 06:06:41 am »

Thanks. I'm going to risk it I think. Will update here with any exciting developments.

:thumbsup:

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:08:14 pm »
I changed mine to some Oxford ones this year having searched in vain for the old KF ones, they are great without needing a bodge but I'm only running 23mm tyres

« Reply #35 on: 18 December, 2020, 09:31:35 pm »
Quick update for posterity. Went for 25mm bog standard Duranos in the end, fit fine with fettled chromoplastics. (Nb. I read somewhere that the 25mm Durano Plus will not go under the guards even when fettled.)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #36 on: 19 December, 2020, 10:19:58 am »
I have 25mm Durano Plus on my Kinesis TK3, on narrow old Ksyrium Elite rims. They don't appear to be larger than the regular Duranos I have on another bike.

« Reply #37 on: 21 December, 2020, 07:00:11 pm »
I've had mine for over a decade and used it for one of my PBPs and several years of commuting.  Apart from the mudguard issue it's been a great machine especially with a nice rear Hope wheel and a lovely Son dynamo on the front.