Linked Events

• FNRttC: 03 July, 2009

Author Topic: FNRttC - genteel ride to Brighton  (Read 15014 times)

FNRttC - genteel ride to Brighton
« on: 19 June, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
Not seen this one listed yet so here goes.

We loose a number of regular riders to the Dun Run on the next day so Simon will be dropping the pace to suit a less experienced group. I believe the plan is Brighton for ~8am rather than the normal 7am.

I for one will be there and no doubt others will be.

Those who are mad enough to do this and the Dun Run can stand in the corner  ;)

Matthew

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: FNRttC - genteel ride to Brighton
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2009, 01:45:38 pm »

Which corner, sir?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »
Was thinking of doing this as my first FNRttC. Do I have to be a member of the CTC (seem to remember something about this somewhere...)?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »
You don't have to be a CTC member, I'm not & plenty of others aren't either, July will be my second. Just email Simon (fnrttc-at-yahoo co uk) with your mobile number. Plenty of room at the mo, I think.

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2009, 02:57:12 pm »

Excellent, thanks.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2009, 03:24:26 pm »

Which corner, sir?

The one in which the mad ones are stood and the rest of us look at with a mixture of admiration, fear and bemusement.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2009, 03:49:30 pm »
You don't have to be a CTC member, at least part of the idea of the FNRttCs is to encourage people who have never ridden in a group, or ridden that far, to try it out.

I think if you regularly do the FNRttC, it would be considered nice if you joined the CTC, since at a minimum it's helping with things like insurance for the ride leader (aka Simon / dellzegg).

I'm not mad enough to do the Dun Run, although it's mainly the getting back which puts me off.  One year I'm going to organise things so I can collapse in a tent when I get there, but I didn't get things sorted this year, so I'll be doing the slow ride to Brighton thing instead.

Since I'll have gears on my bike for once, I should be able to get up the Beacon without stopping!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2009, 04:12:57 pm »
FNRttC and Dun Run the next night?  :hand:

I will be remaining sensible and am signed up for this one  :thumbsup:

I will not make it up the Beacon without stopping even though I have gears....I am just lazy "not very good with hills"  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »
FNRttC and Dun Run the next night?  :hand:

I will be remaining sensible and am signed up for this one  :thumbsup:

I will not make it up the Beacon without stopping even though I have gears....I am just lazy "not very good with hills"  ;D

And I see over at CC that you are being pressed into service on this ride.  Congrats on becoming a 'veteran'.
Bet you'll be doing the DunRun next year.

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
PippaG, you did notice that Simon has signed you up for duties? ;D

Quote from: dellzeeg cver in CycleChat
we've not quite got to the point where the balance between innocence (lots) and experience (not very much) is causing concern, but we're not a million miles off. So....Chris B, Chris KH, Pippa G, Dan B, The Tims, MacB, Laura B, Aperitif, Grumpygreg, Andrij and Adrian........sorry. I'm going to be prevailing on your good will for part of the way.

You're an old-timer now!

edit: Beaten by Andrij, LOL.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2009, 04:28:10 pm »
Eh? and WHAT? ??? I'm hardly a veteran given this ride will be only my 5th FNRttC (and about, oooh, my 8th ever bike ride....!!!!)

I don't know whether to be  :smug: or  :o

I'm seriously hoping by "duties" that only means acting as a human sign post? Cos if it is anything more advanced than that, have I told you the story of how I've never ever had a visitation (jinxed it now haven't I), so actually wouldn't have a clue what to do.....  :-\

My pointing in the right direction skills however, are second to none (although I have been known to get my left and right a bit confused from time to time!). Not so sure about the catching up to the front bit again though. Hmmmm. Oh well, I need some sprint training....  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
Pippa,

You'll do fine!

At this rate I'll expect you to help lead the peleton through East London on the next Southend run.  ;)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2009, 05:31:42 pm »
At this rate I'll expect you to help lead the peleton through East London on the next Southend run.  ;)

Doomed. We're all doomed if that happens  ;)

« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2009, 06:00:27 pm »

Doomed. We're all doomed if that happens  ;)

No no no, you've got to put on a Private Frazer faux-scottish accent when you do that. ;D

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2009, 11:01:56 pm »
Pippa I dont want any of this cant make it up Ditchling. The right mental attitude is get in the right gear and pedal. It doesnt hurt that funny feeling in you legs is not pain it is just a sensation.  I will only be doing the Dun run as the cycle back does mean a 24 hour bike ride for me. Have a good ride on the next Fnrttc  ride I expect to hear that you did your duties well and you got up the hill. O:-)

« Reply #15 on: 20 June, 2009, 09:25:01 am »
I'll keep an eye on things for you Brian.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #16 on: 20 June, 2009, 11:46:53 am »
Pippa I dont want any of this cant make it up Ditchling. The right mental attitude is get in the right gear and pedal.

I'll go and sit in a corner and think about what I've said....

It doesnt hurt that funny feeling in you legs is not pain it is just a sensation. 

A painful sensation ;) What about the huffing and puffing and general lack of oxygen????

I expect to hear that you did your duties well and you got up the hill. O:-)

Hmmm, yes. I can see that I am not going to get away with wimping out and will be reported on (thank you Adrian).

« Reply #17 on: 20 June, 2009, 12:20:14 pm »
That is quite all right, you are welcome.

« Reply #18 on: 22 June, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »
You don't have to be a CTC member, I'm not & plenty of others aren't either, July will be my second. Just email Simon (fnrttc-at-yahoo co uk) with your mobile number. Plenty of room at the mo, I think.

Got in touch with Simon and waiting to hear if I have a place. If so, I'll be on a black Thorn Sherpa wearing a look of nervous anticipation. Look forward to finally meeting some of you.

« Reply #19 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:59:11 pm »
Sad to say that it is highly unlikely that the hatlers will be there, despite the plans I had on the May ride. Saturday is the school Summer fair, and I am on bar duty and Mrs hatler is organising the event.

So, no coffee at the greenhouses - sorry.  Unless of course I can persuade myself that driving down with coffee thermoses (thermii ?) and mini-hatler's bike in the boot for a go at the Beacon is a good idea.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »
Oh course it is, what persuasion would you need?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:25:56 pm »
Well I just emailed Simon as I thought about doing the Dun run but am no way fit enough to do it.

How long is this supposed to take?

« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »
You'll most likely be sitting down to breakfast at The Madeira before 08:00

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:41:33 pm »
Not the gut buster at the all night dinner? O:-)

« Reply #24 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:40:27 am »
Oh course it is, what persuasion would you need?
I think I could just about convince myself, not sure about the Mrs ......
Rust never sleeps