Author Topic: Who is going to Mildenhall?  (Read 12493 times)

simonp

Re: Who is going to Mildenhall?
« Reply #50 on: 26 August, 2009, 04:55:40 pm »
10 day Weather in Mildenhall - weather.co.uk

Looks fine to me.

That's a better (more detailed)  forecast than the one I've been looking at.Still doesn't give me any enthusiasm to drag the CARAVAN down there.

Hope that's clear/concise enough for you simonp ;D

Sigh... I was merely expressing my sudden alarm at news of an "iffy" weather forecast.  :P

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 26 August, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »
And my hoped-for excuse not to ride fixed has been dashed... headset was replaced by LBS today.

Was in a very bad state.

Note to self: second hand bikes may not be the bargain they seem.

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »
Just completed a trial pack. Everything fits in just two panniers (though the tent will need bungying to the top of the rack) with room to spare!

One thing though. Do we get allocated a camping pitch when we register, or was there some vital piece of information on the booking confirmation letter that I've now lost?  :-\

I made sure I've packed ear plugs  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #53 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »
You will already be allocated a pitch. They'll give you some bumpf when you arrive which will include a map of where your pitch is. I suppose you should bring the letter along, but just stating who you are on arrival has always sufficed.

Ear plugs are a good idea! I must get some. Sometimes those chaps at the airbase like to crank up the volume early in the morning. Well not that early, but if you've got a hangover you might want a lie in! Also, if you're cycle camping, you may well be near me. And when I've had a bunch of beer, I sometimes snore  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:54:43 pm »
Well, between your snoring, and my tripping over guy ropes in the dark as I get ready for the 4am start for the 300k audax, we should be very popular!

I'll look out for your hat  :D.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #55 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:47:51 pm »
...as I get ready for the 4am start for the 300k audax...

I'd forgotten about that. Bugger.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #56 on: 27 August, 2009, 07:59:49 am »
Hmmmmm....

Mr R is on call on Monday, so he has to have the car.

If we get back early enough on Sunday, I may cycle over with a tent and inveigle myself amongst the YACFers camping in the field.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #57 on: 27 August, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
Right, well I'll be signing off soon and will see some of you no doubt in the 'hall! Will get some camping stuff ready this evening and load up the tourer tomorrow morning for the ride over. I'll be easy to spot, as I'll be with bobb - and his pink Stetson! And most likely I'll have some item of Chelmer CC kit on me ;). My race bike still isn't quite ready as the sproket, chain and trackie tool I ordered at the start of the week haven't arrived yet ::-). So there may be some very last minute fettling track side!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:04:31 pm »
I'm meeting Delthebike at 8.45 and we should rendez-vous with Badger in Rayleigh. Del has plotted a reasonably direct route. We'll be slow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #59 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
Hmm... trial load of the bike.

It's heavier than Wowbagger's bike when he was away for a whole week  :o.

I'm hoping lightish wheels on 25mm tyres are going to cope...  :-\

*checks forecast *

And I've got to grind that 75" gear and load against a 50kph headwind  ::-)

« Reply #60 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »
I'm going

but alas no tent

sleeping in the van again
Recumbent Riders will rule the world........(maybe)

have a look here
Flickr: bottlemasher's Photostream

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #61 on: 28 August, 2009, 01:21:26 am »
Pretty much packed and ready for the off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #62 on: 28 August, 2009, 06:24:12 pm »
We're here :D. We're in the extention field so look out for us. It's a little windy.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 29 August, 2009, 08:39:31 am »
My David is not going to Mildenhall, but is taking a mixed bunch of cyclists round East Anglia so you might see them. He's riding my old silver Orbit Harrier (Helen on left side of top tube, HD Vecht on right side).
They're taking a train to Ely this morning, then cycling to Dereham.
Tomorrow, they'll ride to Sheringham and on Monday they're going to Norwich then getting a train back to Londonton.
If you see them...

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 31 August, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »
What an absolutely Cracking weekend that was! Bloody excellent.

Contents:
Two thunderstorms on the ride down to Mildenhall, Friday afternoon.
A Tent.
Beer.
A 300km Audax (A 50km Time Trial, followed by Hills & Headwinds, followed by Flatness, followed by a storming tailwind finish)
Beer.
Three breakfasts.
A most agreeable, beery pubbe lunch in the company of some YACF stalwarts (including bonus appearances by Mrs S, Annie, and Nutkin's Mum  :thumbsup:).
Some awesome grass track racing.
Erm... More Beer
Some even more awesome Roller Racing. That was f*cking NUTS!  :o
Another two breakfasts
Several Ice Creams in increasingly hot sun.
A picnic with Mrs S, son #2 and SimonP.
A ride back from Mildenhall with a Monster tailwind.

That was brilliant! Thanks to everyone whose company helped to make this such a good weekend.

simonp

« Reply #65 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »
That was brilliant! Thanks to everyone whose company helped to make this such a good weekend.

++

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:07:28 pm »
Oh, and I dozed off in the bath after cycling home from Mildenhall - against the wind and without the benefit of someone taking all my camping gear home with me.  Though it was relatively slow (19.5kph average) it wasn't as hard as I expected.

Maybe I should take up cycle camping towing a trailer on fixed as a hobby.

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
Oh, and I dozed off in the bath after cycling home from Mildenhall - against the wind and without the benefit of someone taking all my camping gear home with me.  Though it was relatively slow (19.5kph average) it wasn't as hard as I expected.

Maybe I should take up cycle camping towing a trailer on fixed as a hobby.

Can't imagine who you mean...

« Reply #68 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »
Thanks to all for a lovely weekend!

Wow and Del came up with a fantastic route for our Not-the-Mildenhall-100k-WARTY and lots of lovely company on the Sunday.

Thank-you for making my mother so welcome (she was relieved to miss the Grand Prix). She said you were a very nice bunch of people, though all quite mad and with a worrying fondness for bus shelters and odd sleeping arrangements!
Abnormal for Norfolk

Chris S

« Reply #69 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:21:41 pm »
Oh - by the way - Erron, Bloody good work on the grass; The Chelmer machine looked good out there on the track, and you stood out as a key component of it  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #70 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:26:01 pm »

Me chasing my boy. We went yesterday, and Isla Rowntree sized him up and popped him on a Cnoc 16. She ran with him, and said he was ready to move on from balance bikes. She said I should give him help to start, and then just run behind with my hand resting on him. I ran with him and he pedalled away from me. Sadly, there wasn't enough room for him to let rip, and he kept veering towards the grass track.We came back today and he pulled the same trick, so we put down an order. He was meant to be waiting for his 4th birthday in December before he got his new bike, but seeing him ride made an immediate purchase irresistable. It'll be cool to have him riding whilst there's still some nice weather.

Chris S

« Reply #71 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:29:28 pm »
Islabikes are Soooo cool  :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #72 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:51:47 pm »
I nearly managed to get someone to give us a lift there today - until she realised how far it was - just so we could go and play at the islabikes stand to help my boy choose his new bike :) 

Well done to your boy - it's a great feeling when you see them off and away, isn't it?

« Reply #73 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:31:06 pm »
Well done to your boy - it's a great feeling when you see them off and away, isn't it?

Yes, ridiculously good - it even made my better half cry. I marked the event with the purchase of my first Brooks saddle (a B17 special). I'll ride to work on it tomorrow, and am expecting a similar reaction after a couple of miles.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #74 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:43:37 pm »
We're here :D. We're in the extention field so look out for us. It's a little windy.

I'm not there! But Evelyn and Andrea have travelled all the way from Stornoway to be there :)