Linked Events

• October WARTY: 24 October, 2009

Author Topic: October WARTY - a Suffolk Special - 24/10/09  (Read 13989 times)

Re: October WARTY - a Suffolk Special - 24/10/09
« Reply #25 on: 10 October, 2009, 12:58:54 pm »
My tickets are up on the whiteboard, in a highly "can't easily loose this" location, and have been for over a month! ;D

I'm a "I've spent money on this" Likely.
Actually, it is rocket science.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #26 on: 10 October, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »
Put me down as a definite, Mrs T has hung her bike up for the winter so will not be in attendance  :(  Lift offered to WJ.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2009, 07:00:39 pm »
I'm a definite possible.  ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:39:57 pm »
Well, we had a jolly good time. Left Stowmarket at about 10.10 and rolled up to coffee in Lavenham, next to the Guildhall, at around midday. Even slower than usual because I was suffering with back trouble and kept needing to stretch rather than pedal. The cake was very good, we all had tea rather than coffee, I had a couple of ibuprofen and we set off at about 12.45. After Long Melford the hills began. We crossed the Poohsticks bridge and then climbed and climbed and as we climbed we sang a little song. No we didn't we just kept on pedalling.

It was just as well that the Queen's Head in Hawkedon serves food until 2.30 because it was 2.26 that we arrived. We all decided on sandwiches because the mains would have taken longer to prepare and Mrs. Wow and I were concerned about our return train, at 6.29 from Stowmarket.

We left the pub around 3.30 and almost immediately Auntie Helen had a faerie bite. That took about 15 minutes to fix and I converted my HPX to Shraeder mode. We continued climbing but we didn't quite reach the dizzy heights of 400' - I think 360ish was the limit, because we didn't follow quite the same route as in the Mildenhall ride. There were some absolutely awful road surfaces, but after we started to head east again, they seemed to improve and we had some pleasant stretches of downhill, so much that our moving average on the tandem rose form 7.8 to about 8.4 over a period of 10 miles. We arrived back at Stowmarket station at 6.04.

For 24th, I'll phone the pub to find out what they've got on, and we can book in advance. I really fancied the Venison Wellington but not enough to risk missing the train.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #29 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:58:52 am »
A nice day's ride, despite my fourth fairy visit of the week (having had only one previously in 9,000 miles - time to fit those new tyres methinks).

Much hillier than my usual ride routes. It's not that the hills were all REALLY steep, or even REALLY long, it's just that there were a lot of them. Still after the lunch stop the hills tended to fade away which was good.

Gary and I cycled home from Stowmarket (well, from just before, where the route diverged). We stopped for a cup of tea and apple crumble in Hadleigh, then had a great ride home via Stratford St Mary ad the wretched hill coming out of Dedham. The roads were pleasantly quiet for a Saturday evening - obviously Suffolk people don't go out raging much. 78 miles for the day for me, 85 for Gary who had a few miles to get to my house and back.

Thanks for your company Wow & Mrs Wow and I'm glad you caught the train OK!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #30 on: 11 October, 2009, 02:08:54 pm »
As discussed with Wow yesterday, he has a doppelgänger for his new avatar on the sailing forum I use.

Searush is his name:

Yachting and Boating World Forums - View Single Post -  Ship to shore & shore to shore coms
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #31 on: 11 October, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »
As discussed with Wow yesterday, he has a doppelgänger for his new avatar on the sailing forum I use.

Searush is his name:

Yachting and Boating World Forums - View Single Post -  Ship to shore & shore to shore coms

That is sooo cute  :-*

alinaee

« Reply #32 on: 12 October, 2009, 11:34:29 pm »
pencil me down too, will need to confirm closer to the time!

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #33 on: 13 October, 2009, 03:41:10 pm »
Can I come along? Stowmarket being v. easy for me to get to on the train (get on, trundle along for 45 minutes, get off, find YACFers).

Last train back is at 20:32, should be finished before then though I guess?

Now these hills. How steep are they exactly? I am VERY slow uphill (and downhill, and on the flat...but mainly uphill  :))
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #34 on: 13 October, 2009, 03:51:27 pm »
please can you add me as a 'might join for elevenses then tag along till lunch time' attendee?

« Reply #35 on: 13 October, 2009, 04:19:42 pm »
Now these hills. How steep are they exactly?

Not very. It's still Suffolk. Rolling maybe, and that's not on some 'I live in the Alps' scale. You will not need magic powder.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #36 on: 13 October, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »
Now these hills. How steep are they exactly?

Not very. It's still Suffolk. Rolling maybe, and that's not on some 'I live in the Alps' scale. You will not need magic powder.

LOL, just some cake then  :)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 13 October, 2009, 05:13:46 pm »
This is looking promising!

Let's pull things together (in no especial order):-

Wowbagger
Mrs. Wow
Auntie Helen
Fatbloke
Alinaee

Morrisette
Mike
Jurek
TimO
RogerT

Wobbly John
Chris S
fboab
Delthebike
Bazzerp

That looks dangerously like 15 if all arrive.

Early next week I will put the menu up so that we can choose in advance. I'd like to get to the 11ses stop in Lavenham a.s.a.p after 11.40 (it's 14ish miles from Stowmarket so that would require Mrs. Wow and me to average 9 mph) and to the Queen's Head in Hawkedon by 2.15 (they stop serving at 2.30) so will be asking for orders in advance. 11ses to lunch took 1h 40m last Saturday. Lunch to Stowmarket was a little over 2 hours. There's no obvious stop on the way back, and Mrs. Wow and I really wanted to get on with it.

The hills between Long Melford and Rede are not massive in the general scheme of things, but I reckon you'd struggle to come up with a hillier 10 mile stretch in East Anglia - possibly on the Essex-Herts border chez Mike. We can climb them on the tandem so no-one should have problems.

Some of the descents are annoying because of the poor road surfaces. None of this ride is off-road but I reckon bits of it would deserve at least a few expletives on the NSTN scale.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #38 on: 13 October, 2009, 07:01:32 pm »
James (Uncle James) is a possible.

Gary from Colchester is a definite.

Bob from Colchester is a possible.

Morissette, you'd be fine with the hills. I am slower than you!

« Reply #39 on: 14 October, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »
LOL, just some cake then  :)

I will be there, therefore; there will be cake  :D
I may bring a No1 or No2 son if I can find a loan of a tandem-for-shortarses...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #40 on: 14 October, 2009, 05:17:20 pm »
I would like to come too, if that's OK

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 14 October, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »

Great news! It'll be all the better for you being there!

« Reply #42 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:07:41 pm »
Planning to come on this ride. Should be able to go by train this time, is there a particular one from Liverpool Street that people are intending to take?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #43 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »
Planning to come on this ride. Should be able to go by train this time, is there a particular one from Liverpool Street that people are intending to take?

It gets into Stowmarket for 9.52.

There'll be no off-road or mystery wooden bridges this time... ;)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #44 on: 15 October, 2009, 05:15:39 pm »

Great news! It'll be all the better for you being there!
Ah Wow! You've no idea how much better that made me feel after a very rough day at work.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #45 on: 16 October, 2009, 11:11:29 am »
Was out cycling with Bob & Gary from Colchester last night and it seems we have the following plan:

Bob, Gary and Helen to cycle to Stowmarket
James to get the train to Stowmarket
Bob to go on the ride with us until Long Melford at which point he heads off home (he has something he has to do late afternoon)
Helen and Gary to either get the train home or to cycle if we're feeling like doing a ton for the day.
James will get the train home

James isn't 100% sure if he's coming, but the other two are. So that makes four of us from Colchester, probably.

Chris S

« Reply #46 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:32:20 pm »
Too far for Mrs S, so I'll be on my lonesome.

Looking to ride from home to/from Stowmarket in a Teethgrinder stylee. I may pick up fboab en-route if it works out. 230km in October. What could possibly go wrong?

simonp

« Reply #47 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:30:07 pm »
I'm thinking I'm more likely to go out with the Cambridge Triathlon Club again.

« Reply #48 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
<snip> I may pick up fboab

I'll make sure I'm wearing my pulling pants then...  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:42:46 am »
<snip> I may pick up fboab

I'll make sure I'm wearing my pulling pants then...  ;D

Phwoarrr...!  :thumbsup: