Linked Events

• Up the 'Uts: 08 August, 2008 - 09 August, 2008

Author Topic: Up the 'Uts  (Read 76856 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Up the 'Uts
« Reply #450 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:56:04 pm »
I have no problem whatever with the epithet "Mother Posterior" on account of the frequency with which I make a total arse of myself. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #451 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »
I have no problem whatever with the epithet "Mother Posterior" on account of the frequency with which I make a total arse of myself. :thumbsup:

I wonder what that makes me then?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #452 on: 11 August, 2008, 07:57:28 pm »

I wonder what that makes me then?

A sweetie of the highest order? :-*

« Reply #453 on: 11 August, 2008, 10:16:47 pm »
Only just managed to catch up with this thread - just to say it's so nice seeing people I've come to know, in places I've been to, having what is clearly a mighty fine time.
Wish I'd been there - next time.....

annie

« Reply #454 on: 11 August, 2008, 10:25:38 pm »
Only just managed to catch up with this thread - just to say it's so nice seeing people I've come to know, in places I've been to, having what is clearly a mighty fine time.
Wish I'd been there - next time.....

I was just wondering when the next time might be and was thinking of the autumn??

A sort of pre Christmas gathering seeing as we haven't had time for one yet this year. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #455 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:02:06 pm »
In principle, a pre-Christmas gathering could be OK. However:-

who would camp?

I doubt if there's a lot of insulation in those 'Uts.

We know that Victoria has 2 ladies' beds and 7 gents'. Shaftesbury has (I think) 6 ladies' and 16 gents? There is also plenty of sleeping room in the lounge of each. Having never participated in audaxes from any other 'Ut, it didn't occur to me to contact anyone else. How do the other 'Uts measure up?

Unless we wanted night riding, we would also have very long evenings to deal with, although I suppose that as long as it was before the end of October we would still have daylight saving. We would definitely need properly organised silly games to while away the hours.

annie

« Reply #456 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:07:39 pm »
In principle, a pre-Christmas gathering could be OK. However:-

who would camp?

I doubt if there's a lot of insulation in those 'Uts.

We know that Victoria has 2 ladies' beds and 7 gents'. Shaftesbury has (I think) 6 ladies' and 16 gents? There is also plenty of sleeping room in the lounge of each. Having never participated in audaxes from any other 'Ut, it didn't occur to me to contact anyone else. How do the other 'Uts measure up?

Unless we wanted night riding, we would also have very long evenings to deal with, although I suppose that as long as it was before the end of October we would still have daylight saving. We would definitely need properly organised silly games to while away the hours.

I don't mind camping but might opt for a bed in the dorm next time, could bring the tent in case.

The CCC hut is smaller I seem to remember.

I think we could come up with lots of silly games and activities.  The naughty chair might make an appearance next time as well.

I would bring all of my massage stuff next time.

Maladict

« Reply #457 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:27:26 pm »
Shall I bring this young lady along to keep order?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #458 on: 12 August, 2008, 01:39:23 am »
I'd pitch out if several of the forum loverlies kept me warm ;)

PS - I don't mean Andrij, Greg, and Peter lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #459 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:36:35 am »
If we don't go away for Crimble, Liz and I were discussing the possibility of hiring an 'Ut and having a miscreant's Christmas there.  I'm a miserable old cow at that time of the year, so going off for a weekend of winter cycling and silly games in the evening might be just the balm I need.  I realise that lots of people won't be able to make it because of family commitments, but for those of us who really don't want to spend time with our families...?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #460 on: 12 August, 2008, 08:53:56 am »
that sounds ideal, you can come and have mince pies chez mike!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #461 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:34:18 am »
If we don't go away for Crimble, Liz and I were discussing the possibility of hiring an 'Ut and having a miscreant's Christmas there.  I'm a miserable old cow at that time of the year, so going off for a weekend of winter cycling and silly games in the evening might be just the balm I need.  I realise that lots of people won't be able to make it because of family commitments, but for those of us who really don't want to spend time with our families...?

I think C. Day would be spoken for, but I would be very keen on a Boxing Day ride - and a possible overnighter. Sounds like a grand idea.

However, I wouldn't rule out Annie's suggestion of a late October weekend. Would that be too much of a good thing?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #462 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:37:46 am »
I'd be tempted by a 'twixt Chrimble and New Year trip... (I have to spend Christmas with the family this year, having spent the last two with Mr R's family).

I'm also up for the idea of a late October outing to the 'Uts as well.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #463 on: 12 August, 2008, 09:45:49 am »
Late Oct. I will consider but my on-call rota and another ride is making it look dodgy. I'd get my travel sorted out better so that Annie or anyone else doesn't have to drive out to get me.

« Reply #464 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:07:02 am »
Both suggestions sound like winners to me. And maybe next time I'll actually make it there! It's about 25 miles from Chelmsford so I won't be able to blame missed ferries and lack of sleep!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #465 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
We'd camp if we came! :D
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #466 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:32:20 am »
We'd camp if we came! :D

You're camp wherever you are....  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #467 on: 12 August, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »

« Reply #468 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:01:48 pm »

Looks like a great weekend -- I'd love to do something similar sometime.

Excuse me while I develop a brief transatlantic infatuation.  :)  ;)

(Don't worry, Wow.)
scottclark.photoshelter.com