Author Topic: Christmas WARTY  (Read 15567 times)

Re: Christmas WARTY
« Reply #25 on: 27 December, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
We will be going up there on the Tuesday and camp. So are we going clock or anti clock wise on the route. So that we can find a campsite near the route, anyone know a good place up there to pitch a tent.
Route is clockwise.
Here are some from the Camping and Caravaning Club website that aren't far from the route.

The Camping and Caravanning Club - SiteSeeker - Details - Chelmsford - The Wheatsheaf Public House

The Camping and Caravanning Club - SiteSeeker - Details - Danbury - Retreat Farm

The Camping and Caravanning Club - SiteSeeker - Details - Great Dunmow - Kings Farm

The Camping and Caravanning Club - SiteSeeker - Details - Great Dunmow - Sewards Hall Farm

The first two are near(ish) to the start and the second two are nearer to the lunch stop. I don't know how good they are, but they shouldn't be too bad.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #26 on: 28 December, 2009, 07:44:53 am »
Can you add me to the list?  And a jacket potato with cheese and beans- yum.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:11:07 am »
Uncle James isn't coming as he's going on the CycleChat ride the day before and wants to go on a walk with some chums on Wednesday instead.

I will be having the burger and chips from the bar menu.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #28 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:34:08 am »
Weather is currently looking good for the ride  :thumbsup:

Jurek and I would both like ham and mustard sarnies from the lite bites menu please.

See y'all on wednesday, assuming the weather doesn't turn.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #29 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:48:21 am »
Oi Londoners....

According to our ahem lovely friends on the railway there is no disruption to the service. But but but, what this actually means is that there is a "transfer" (bus? or as the lady on the phone said, "make your own way there") service from Liverpool Street to Stratford and then a direct train from there.

Poo.

There is a 09:56 train from Stratford that gets to Chelmsford at 10:26 - we're aiming for that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:56:57 am »
Oh that's a pain, isn't it? The only people adversely affected by this are cyclist, because they are not allowed on that stretch of the central line.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #31 on: 28 December, 2009, 11:15:32 am »
Emily and I should be riding over for lunch.  Lunch selections: jacket potato w/ veg and goat's cheese; baguette w/ goat's cheese and beetroot.

I'm watching the weather and trying to decide whether or not to change the tyres on the tandem!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #32 on: 28 December, 2009, 03:52:13 pm »
Mrs. Hall and I would like to come along too, if that's OK.

A bit weather dependent though (her, not me)

Menu choices are Ham Egg and Chips for me, Cajun Chicken baguette for her.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #33 on: 28 December, 2009, 04:13:13 pm »
I'm afraid the fact that there are no direct trains from L'pool st added to a couple of other factors is conspiring to make this look unlikely for me now. Bugger.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #34 on: 28 December, 2009, 04:51:48 pm »
I'm afraid the fact that there are no direct trains from L'pool st added to a couple of other factors is conspiring to make this look unlikely for me now. Bugger.

Cross the river, District line to Plaistow then a short ride up to Stratford?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #35 on: 28 December, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
Rather than being able to say I've spotted you all in my back yard I'm coming on this.

Ham egg and chips please.

Thanks for organising this :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #36 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:01:18 pm »
Now that I have a belated n+1 xmas pressie to myself (thanks Russell) :D the question is should my first go on fixed be on this ride?  :o

« Reply #37 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »
Now that I have a belated n+1 xmas pressie to myself (thanks Russell) :D the question is should my first go on fixed be on this ride?  :o
Yes! We could do with a larf help you with it.  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #38 on: 28 December, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »
Oh yes.  Definitely.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #39 on: 28 December, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
My chum Gary would like a jacket potato with tuna please!

Bob would like Jacket Potato with tuna & red onion without mayonnaise.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #40 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:24:21 pm »
Sadly I am not going to get back from Grandfather duties in Dorset in time  :'(  ( Mind you, Grandson is lovely , so  a degree of compensation )

« Reply #41 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:40:50 pm »

Am I allowed on the tube with a bike at that time? Is it not a bit early? It's a weekday, not a weekend...

It's not the extra distance, it's the getting lost. I share my sense of direction with Nutkin and you know what that means... ::-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #42 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:44:16 pm »
delthebike: thanks for the heads up, some are closed this time, some are only caravans and all are members only. And with the amount rain that is due tomorrow we don't fancy mixing it up with the cold.

So we are hopefully on the train at the same time with Pippa and Jurek from London.

Put me down for Lasagna with salad and garlic bread.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #43 on: 28 December, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »
Am I allowed on the tube with a bike at that time? Is it not a bit early? It's a weekday, not a weekend...

After 09:30 yup :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #44 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:07:29 pm »

It's not the extra distance, it's the getting lost. I share my sense of direction with Nutkin and you know what that means... ::-)

Sorry.  I'm in holiday mode, forgot about it being a normal working day and times bikes are permitted.  :-[

09:30 won't be early enough for the scheduled start from Chelmsford.  If you can get yourself to Aldgate (the old gyratory) then it's a straight shot to Stratford.  If you wan't some help with directions let me know (off-line prob best).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »
We've got lots of time to do this ride. I'd hate to think that anyone would drop out because of silly trains.

There's no 11ses stop and it's only 15 miles or so from Chelmsford Station to the lunch stop. If we don't get under way until nearer 11, it won't cause any problems.

So, in the immortal words of the Southend United bookings line when asked what time Saturday's match starts, "What time can you get here for?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #46 on: 28 December, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
I'll have the baked potato with roast vegetables and goats cheese, please.

« Reply #47 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
Ham egg & chips please.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #48 on: 28 December, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »
there's a costas coffee at Chelmsford station which we can use if there's a wait at the start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #49 on: 29 December, 2009, 05:56:33 am »

Perhaps I could meet you en route and we could get lost together.

Seriously, I was going to Stratford via Greenwich, but I could detour and go via Tower Bridge instead, meet you on the way.