Author Topic: Christmas WARTY  (Read 15570 times)

Re: Christmas WARTY
« Reply #50 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:09:49 am »
That might be an idea Jane, if you don't mind detouring for the sake of me? I'd rather do that than delay the whole ride and attempt to put my bike on the tube etc. Could meet you on the north side of Tower Bridge somewhere?

The weather wasn't looking brilliant for this last time I checked but I haven't been out on the bike for a while so am going to make a good effort not to be a complete wimp  :-[

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #51 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:37:50 am »
Well the CycleChat ride in Hertford for today has been cancelled due to weather worries so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's WARTY in the hopes that I can get my 12,000 miles for the year then.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #52 on: 29 December, 2009, 09:21:39 am »
I definitely won't be making this one now, I won't be back in Londinium soon enough. :(

Have a good ride one and all, and NSTN, weren't you the one who was leading others across London after a ride last year (me included!) ? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:03:43 am »
That might be an idea Jane, if you don't mind detouring for the sake of me? I'd rather do that than delay the whole ride and attempt to put my bike on the tube etc. Could meet you on the north side of Tower Bridge somewhere?

The weather wasn't looking brilliant for this last time I checked but I haven't been out on the bike for a while so am going to make a good effort not to be a complete wimp  :-[

It will be lovely to see you! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #54 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:03:53 am »
Happy to meet NSTN on north side of Tower Bridge- I roughly know how to get to Stratford- go north a couple of miles and turn right.  It's hard to get lost (although I'm sure we could manage it between us).

« Reply #55 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:13:41 am »
Thanks Jane, let me know what time you will be passing that way.

Shall be lovely to see you too Wow. May I please have egg and chips (no ham, but if they want to give me an extra egg to compensate that would be most appreciated).

I know I led a group of YACFers back from a ride last year, but it was an area I knew, roughly. Not very good with East London, it being the only bit I haven't lived in! Sorry you can't make it, Tim.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #56 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:16:46 am »
Will aim to get to Tower Bridge about 8.20- is that too early?  Just in case we do get lost.

« Reply #57 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:25:59 am »
That should be ok. I am on the hybrid so will be extra slow anyway!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #58 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:27:18 am »
OK - official starting time put back to 11. a.m.

There's a weird non-standard train service from Saarfend: only 2 trains an hour, which is a sort of Sunday service, but they do stop at Prittlewell, which Sunday trains don't. I suspect it's down to the same problem (engineering works between Ilford & Lpoo St) which is causing services to start at Stratford.

Del: 9.58 train OK? It's £10.50 for one, £21 for two but £20.85 for 3. Groupsave applies, Network Cards don't (less than £13 fare). Mrs. Wow is currently suffering a bit of ear trouble but she seemed pretty positive when we were discussing the day.

From Stratford, the 10.15 and 10.25 trains are ideal.

« Reply #59 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:12:03 am »
0958 is good for me, but I have to be back in SoS by 1800. I'll have to leave you all early if things are getting too late.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:35:57 am »
We didn't rush round on 17th for the rehearsal: indeed, we found a Tea Room in Central Park which we used after approximately .1 mile. That's not open tomorrow.

An 11 a.m. kick off from Chelmsford station should see us in High Roding at around 12.30. Ordering lunch in advance should keep our lunch stop shortish (if we want it to).

We left HR shortly before 3 p.m. and were in Littley Green for 4. We had a drink and left there in time for me to arrive in Chelmsford at about 5.10. It was only the buggered trains which stopped me getting back in lots of time.

« Reply #61 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »
The question is, do I bring Seth the fixie, or the lovely, comfy Milly Long Haul Trucker? 

« Reply #62 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:36:28 pm »
The question is, do I bring Seth the fixie, or the lovely, comfy Milly Long Haul Trucker?  
Bring Seth, the route is perfect for fixies.  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #63 on: 29 December, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »
I'll be pootling over by car I think but Bob and Gary are planning to cycle to Chelmsford from Colchester.

Weather forecast looking reasonable if slightly rainy in the afternoon!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #64 on: 29 December, 2009, 04:08:32 pm »
Bring Seth, the route is perfect for fixies.  :thumbsup:
Seth is not fettled, sadly. And Woolly's spent hours fettling Milly today. So there is my decision made. :) 

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #65 on: 29 December, 2009, 04:12:01 pm »
My mrs wants a long haul trucker I'm looking forward to seeing yours, so I'm glad you are bringing it.

« Reply #66 on: 29 December, 2009, 04:13:37 pm »
Seth is not fettled, sadly. And Woolly's spent hours fettling Milly today. So there is my decision made. :) 
Never mind we can fix it for you!  ;)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #67 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:18:50 pm »

:(

My new fixed has been fettled so theoretically *it* is ready for tomorrow. I, OTOH, may not be ready for *it*.

« Reply #68 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:38:09 pm »

My new fixed has been fettled so theoretically *it* is ready for tomorrow. I, OTOH, may not be ready for *it*.

You'll be OK Pippa :-*

I hope you all have a good ride. :thumbsup:

« Reply #69 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:51:38 pm »
I was always only ever a possible for this ride and I still am until I know tomorrow morning! If I'm there - I'm there. If not I'm an impossibility...

I'm only 2 minutes away so I won't be late if I am able to come...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #70 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »

You'll be fine, Pippa. Fixed is FUN.  :D Looking forward to seeing the new bike tomorrow!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #71 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:02:50 pm »
Whilst googling for the pub's phone number, I noticed that at 6 p.m. today Greene King posted an advert for the tenancy of the Black Lion.

Greene King Pub Partners Run A Pub - Black Lion, High Roding, Essex - High Roding, Dunmow (CM6) - Caterer/Black Lion, High Roding, Essex - 46175072 - Caterer.com

I wouldn't trust Greene King as far as I could throw them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #72 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:28:42 am »
Sadly, Mrs. Wow is hors concours due to being unbalanced.

« Reply #73 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:56:35 am »
Sadly, Woolly and I bailed at Stratford. My decision.

I was just too wet and freezing cold after the ride in from Parson's Green, during which we'd got drenched, and I wasn't confident I'd manage to warm up again all day.  :-\ We waved sheepishly to Pippa and Jurek as they headed steadfastly towards the station: chapeau, folks!

It's a good job I bailed, I think. My thighs when we arrived home were a sight to behold - luminous bright red and totally numb!

Hmm. TMI?  :facepalm:

Still, 25 miles under our belts today, and we're about to tuck into a hot English Brekky. I hope you loons have fun!  :thumbsup:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #74 on: 30 December, 2009, 05:37:42 pm »
For once, I'm glad I had to work today!  :-\

Got v. wet & cold on the way home even so.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.